Don Post '95 Standard vinyl Fett helm resurrection

Hi jhfagan
Rattler eh? Nice! Care to share which brands, colors you are planning to use? Also are you going for an ESB paint job or ROTJ?

I'm not sure if you'd entertain the idea of "Upgrading" the Rangefinder, but like I said, I presently working on my ROTJ Boba Fett setup right now. I took a few minutes here and took a few shots. Again, I actually upgraded my idea from using my Don Post bucket to a Boba Maker one instead (I got a full Boba Maker solution!) Here is a side by side comparison on them.
Photo Jul 08, 3 15 54 PM.jpg

As you can see the Boba Maker bucket is a bit bigger than Don Posts version. Sadly, I have to send my Boba Maker helmet back, as you can see the crack (not as bad as your crack on your Don Post ;) ) that is in the upper left hand corner by the Mandibles. Thankfully Boba Maker agreed to simply do a re-cast for me. (y)

But when I started this process I removed my Rangefinder from the Don Post helmet so I could sand away that nasty epoxy job he had going on. Now it may be me, but I always thought that Don Posts Rangefinder Stalk was bit too short. I also wondered what I'd have to do (modification-wise) if I were to upgrade to a metal stalk? Turns out.....not too much with a Boba Maker Metal Stalk. As you can see the Range Finders differ quite a bit in size.
Photo Jul 08, 3 20 39 PM.jpg

And the circular part on the two Range Finder Stalks? Nearly Dead on! The Don Post is a hair larger on that circular part. (y)
Photo Jul 08, 3 22 04 PM.jpg

For giggles, I drilled in a hole in my Don Post and attached the Boba Maker Metal Stalk to it.
Photo Jul 08, 3 54 48 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 08, 3 42 56 PM.jpg

Here is a comparison..... First the Original Don Post Range Finder.
Photo Jul 08, 3 54 12 PM.jpg

....and second, the Boba Maker Metal Range Finder.
Photo Jul 08, 3 52 14 PM.jpg

If you went down the Boba Maker/Aftermartket path, you'd need to cut off and sand the small peg that held the original Don Post Range Finder in place.
Photo Jul 08, 3 43 42 PM.jpg

I'm just curious what are everyone's thoughts on this? For me......I kinda like it! I may order another one to complete this one out.

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
I am letting it dry, and not currently at home as I write this, but I have already primered it, silver coated it, and layered base green color Rustoleum Hunt Club Green, and lightly misted with Rustoleum Moss Green to kind of 'raise' the green a bit without changing the basic Hunt Club color.
Pics later. :)

Hi jhfagan
Rattler eh? Nice! Care to share which brands, colors you are plan to use? Also are you going for an ESB paint job or ROTJ?

I'm not sure if you'd entertain the idea of "Upgrading" the Rangefinder, but like I said, I presently working on my ROTJ Boba Fett setup right now. I took a few minutes here and took a few shots. Again, I actually upgraded my idea from using my Don Post bucket to a Boba Maker one instead (I got a full Boba Maker solution!) Here is a side by side comparison on them.
View attachment 193770
As you can see the Boba Maker bucket is a bit bigger than Don Posts version. Sadly, I have to send my Boba Maker helmet back, as you can see the crack (not as bad as your crack on your Don Post ;) ) that is in the upper left hand corner by the Mandibles. Thankfully Boba Maker agreed to simply do a re-cast for me. (y)

But when I started this process I removed my Rangefinder from the Don Post helmet so I could sand away that nasty epoxy job he had going on. Now it may be me, but I always thought that Don Posts Rangefinder Stalk was bit too short. I also wondered what I'd have to do (modification-wise) if I were to upgrade to a metal stalk? Turns out.....not too much with a Boba Maker Metal Stalk. As you can see the Range Finders differ quite a bit in size.
View attachment 193771

And the circular part on the two Range Finder Stalks? Nearly Dead on! The Don Post is a hair larger on that circular part. (y)
View attachment 193772

For giggles, I drilled in a hole in my Don Post and attached the Boba Maker Metal Stalk to it.
View attachment 193773
View attachment 193774

View attachment 193775

View attachment 193776

If you went down the Boba Maker/Aftermartket path, you'd need to cut off and sand the small peg that held the original Don Post Range Finder in place.
View attachment 193777

I'm just curious what are everyone's thoughts on this? For me......I kinda like it! I may order another one to complete this one out.

Thanks,
-Iron
The helmet certainly can be brought up to a higher level with a better range finder, for sure!
That looks cool!I
I am just restoring mine back to its original design, with all one green, the Empire-ish yellow kill stripes, and the ROTJ silver ear pieces.

Hi jhfagan
Rattler eh? Nice! Care to share which brands, colors you are plan to use? Also are you going for an ESB paint job or ROTJ?

View attachment 193770

View attachment 193771

View attachment 193772

View attachment 193773
View attachment 193774

View attachment 193775

View attachment 193776

View attachment 193777

Thanks,
-Iron
Cool that you went with Bobamaker! Do you know what version of his helmets yours is? (Probably either V3 or V4)

The helmet certainly can be brought up to a higher level with a better range finder, for sure!
That looks cool!I
I am just restoring mine back to its original design, with all one green, the Empire-ish yellow kill stripes, and the ROTJ silver ear pieces.
I see what you did there... "higher level" :D

Cool that you went with Bobamaker! Do you know what version of his helmets yours is? (Probably either V3 or V4)

RamSkirata
Looks like mine is a V4 - I made the purchase in January and finally got my hands on it a few days ago, only to see that crack in it. :(
Photo Jul 08, 10 12 58 PM.jpg

It's all good though, Boba Maker is doing the right thing and getting me a re-cast. (y) He offered to make arrangements and pay to have it "Repaired", but to me, I didn't want to take the risk of an underlying issue only to deal with something bad later. Boba Maker (Daz's) Customer Service is Top Notch - He doesn't disappoint. His stuff may be spendy but I'm of the firm belief that you get what you pay for. And in the case of Boba Maker, you get spectacular pieces and superior customer service! A Win-Win in my book.

-Iron

RamSkirata
Looks like mine is a V4 - I made the purchase in January and finally got my hands on it a few days ago, only to see that crack in it. :(
View attachment 193799

It's all good though, Boba Maker is doing the right thing and getting me a re-cast. (y) He offered to make arrangements and pay to have it "Repaired", but to me, I didn't want to take the risk of an underlying issue only to deal with something bad later. Boba Maker (Daz's) Customer Service is Top Notch - He doesn't disappoint. His stuff may be spendy but I'm of the firm belief that you get what you pay for. And in the case of Boba Maker, you get spectacular pieces and superior customer service! A Win-Win in my book.

-Iron
Thanks! My helmet is from BobaMaker but it is from around 2010 ? 11? 12? Somewhere in there.... I was a little surprised to see the raw castings inside, as my helmet looked completely different - primered, too. I wonder why he changed to the raw inside.

RamSkirata
I never knew it wasn't always like that. Got any pics of yours? I mean to me not a huge deal, I don't plan on showing anyone the inside of the helmet. I may get creative later on down the line and upgrade the inside a bit - But I'm content for now. I just want to get it back.

-Iron

RamSkirata
I never knew it wasn't always like that. Got any pics of yours? I mean to me not a huge deal, I don't plan on showing anyone the inside of the helmet. I may get creative later on down the line and upgrade the inside a bit - But I'm content for now. I just want to get it back.

-Iron
Here it is!
The white-ish stuff is just spray-over from when I painted the helmet.
1594273533692.png

Some bling... :)

Btw... The rubies helmet I found seems to be very similar to the DP. Whats the story there?
Idk exactly, but methinks it's the same situation as with the DP standard Vader, that Rubies just used the same molds from DP, and made them on their own, or something silly like that...don't quote me, but I think I heard something on that line.

Good job. Your not wasting any time on this thing, are you? :)
I just wanted to knock it out up to here, and now I'm gonna let this puppy sit a few days to really dry out.
Everything's constantly tacky. I might even take it outside tomorrow and let it sit directly in the sun for 1/2 an hour to kinda bake in a bit, then let it chill for a day or two.
If I start taping it up for the stripes NOW?!?
I'd have tape pull off marks all over the place....lol
Besides, I need to go get some yellow spray paint for them anyway...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back