Jet Pack dolioshmolio's SEROTJ-AoSW- Jet Pack paint-up.. lots-o-pics

dolioshmolio

Jr Hunter
Hi Everybody!

After gaining some confidence from some totally radical TDH'rs I'm headed out on my next adventure. I'm putting together a SE RoTJ Fett, and next on my list of things to do is the amazing technicolor jet pack
ps1SPa5jVaYLGsZ5c84ncd131KetX7tB86Ttoxw9ogH_cU4z9IodcqKx6X-FJmf9T8Lro7J980F1BfBs0NFK7KN5SY0KXJ_KvGn35Os=s0-d-e1-ft
As the title kinda says. I am using all kinds of different reference pic the SE pro, AoSW, MoM,the jp pics in the RoTJ section of the gallery, and everything in between. I'm leaning a little more toward the newer pics of the jp since I'm going SE.

This paint up will be my interpretation of the ROTJ JP. I'm just going to try and do the best i can. I'm using a paintlist that i picked up herehttp://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/boba-fett-rotj-jetpack-paintup-38327/ as kind of a guide. I using all Humbrol mostly because i already have the tinlets on hand.

My hope is this will help me , and help others that want to paint their own jp. If nothing else.. this could turn into a how not to paint a jp thread.:)

:jetpack-justin

picture updates coming

Last edited by a moderator:
here is my start.. from yesterday.. I worked most of the day and into the night .. mostly watching paint dry :) I'm using a Paasche single action air brush.
jpwip1.jpg
I put down a layer of silver 11 and put liquid mask down on a few select spots. Mostly around the cross and the bottom areas(decals and such)
jpwip2.jpg
Then i hit it with matte light grey 147, and then Masked off some select parts of that layer( you will see it better in the last few pics)
I used Black 33 and a paint brush to do the "decals" and cross. i used masking tape get the shape of the decals( if you do this make sure the tape is pressed down well and don't just glob the paint in there it has the possibility to run under the tape, just something to watch out for. even thin strokes )
jpwip3.jpg
I wanted to try to bring in some of that brown dirtyness i was seeing in some of the pics. So i used some brown 62.. just some light misting in spots that looked about right to me (it's kinda like seasoning food .. weather to taste:))
jpwip5.jpgjpwip6.jpg
At this point everything i masked off is still masked. I decided to go with Grey 106 next to bring in some of the darkness. I pretty much sprayed it every where that i had sprayed the Brown 62 since i wanted the brown to be really subtle when it all said and done. After that i came back with the light grey 147 and to kinda blend everything. Again you are just gonna have to use your best judgement, and just keep referencing the jp pics)
jpwip7.jpgjpwip8.jpg
So here is what i have after removing the masking. You can see now that grey 147 layer i masked that i referred to up above. i still want to come back when the rest of the Jp is painted and bring in some more finer scratches and the like.
jpwip13.jpgjpwip12.jpgjpwip11.jpgjpwip15.jpgjpwip14.jpg

So what do you guys think so far? Does it seem to be going in the right direction?

here is the shot i'm probably using the most right now
Boba Fett Special Edition Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

jpwip1.jpg

jpwip2.jpg

jpwip3.jpg

jpwip5.jpg

jpwip6.jpg

jpwip7.jpg

jpwip8.jpg

jpwip11.jpg

jpwip12.jpg

jpwip13.jpg

jpwip14.jpg

jpwip15.jpg

Looks like you're headed in right. Like you mentioned, you can always go back and add more scratches or other weathering marks later.

thank you .. we will see what happens:) Yep there will certainly be more weathering done. Didn't get anything done today but the silver down on the rest of the pack. It was my wife and i's 1st wedding anniversary today:)

You are heading in the right direction. You may want to settle on specific pack though instead of trying to compile things from various. I found that there are differences between some of these packs after studying them.

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more progress.

Thank you tg

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gall...p11539-boba-fett-special-edition-costume.html

This is the pic and pack that i'm going with.. i was just using some of the other pics to help " fill in" some of the spots.. like the back side of the thrusters.
The title is kinda tongue in cheek :)

I will doing a lot of work, today/tomorrow so i should have some updates soon. We have weekly armor parties here every tuesday, so i'm trying to get as much done before tomorrow night.

*updated title now that project has become more focused:)*

I got the Rocket done except some of the fine scratches and clear coat and such.. I'm going to take some of the Wine73 color back out of the tip of the Rocket. It's a little to dark in some spots i think.

*First i put down the silver 11 and masked off all the silver damage. Just looked at the ref pics and did the best i could.
*I used the wine 73 for the the red sections. i just lightly misted until it started to look about right.I went darker towards the fins and the bottom a little lighter toward the middle of each section
*Next i used black 33 and tried to create the fade effect. I started spraying at the top and turning the piece, and just worked my way to about a little over half way down that bottom section of the rocket. Keep getting lighter with the spray on the way down
*I loaded up a little touch of gery 79 and very lightly put some high light around the middle section where the Black33 starts to fade.
I also used the grey 79 to go abound the bottom , where the Black decal ring is located, a little heavier to where you can really start notice its grey
*I decided next that i would use the light grey 147 to round out the rest of the fade section. i started at the bottom and worked up toward the Black. Darker/heavier toward the bottom and getting very light where the the Black 33 Grey 79 section start. It ads a nice softness to the transition. I also used this same color to add sort of a softness to some of the Red/Wine73 section of the rocket.
*I used some masking fluid to mask off the area for the decal at the bottom, and hit it with the Black 33
*I removed all the masking fluid ( the fun/scary part )

Here it is. What do you guys think?

jpwip19.jpgjpwip20.jpgjpwip21.jpgjpwip18.jpg

I hope some of this is making sense and will help someone:)

Looking good so far man!!

I'm so nervous about painting this thing. That fade is one of the parts I'm sketchy about. Could you also spray on the black and then gradually sand down to the layer below?

and just to add to that .. i wouldn't be to worried.. the nice thing about doing this is you can just paint over and start again... i've had some things with the helmet and even with the JP ( had to repaint the thrusters and start again) that seemed really bad .. but i just repainted and started over.. it usually comes out better the second time:)

Rocket is looking good. Sounds like how I did mine. i was too dark on the wine on the tip of the rocket too & used a nickel metallic which I love the look of mine. Some extra time masking but liked how it turned out.

I'm so nervous about painting this thing. That fade is one of the parts I'm sketchy about. Could you also spray on the black and then gradually sand down to the layer below?

DP, it isn't too bad to get the fade with airbrush or spray cans. A lot of it has to do with angles & just allowing the overspray to create the fade. It is hard to describe. Try some test pieces on a soda bottle for practice.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread dolioshmolio.

are you using spray paint or an air brush? You could probably do that with some 0000 steel wool.

I will be using an airbrush (for the first time). I think maybe that is what's scaring me more - something I have never used before. I'll be sure to do some tests beforehand. But yes, if it all goes sour, I can always repaint!

So thank you for being a pioneer in the jetpack paint up thread :)

"Didn't mean to hijack your thread dolioshmolio. "

Nope not at all .. when i saw that you had posted here i was going to ask you if you could offer up some advice to DP.. and you did .. awesome:)

- - - Updated - - -

I will be using an airbrush (for the first time). I think maybe that is what's scaring me more - something I have never used before. I'll be sure to do some tests beforehand. But yes, if it all goes sour, I can always repaint!

On stuff like this.. personally i use my smallest needle and cone and adjust it to a little aboue its smallest spray width at around 20 psi. That way i feel like i can really control the saturation level , or how dark or how light. i use a single action airbrush

OK on to the the white parts of the JP.

after masking every thing but the white sections:
*First I masked off all the silver damage in the white sections. I also masked off the silver damage in the red/wine rings area around the thruster tanks.
(my jp is not 100% accurate you will notice..but i love it.. its a pretty old pack not sure who built the main section, but i was told the rocket and the thrusters were made my MB. How long ago? I don't know...It looked as if it had been around the block a few times when i acquired the pack)
DSCN5512.JPG

* I used some Grey 79 to weather in the areas that in the end i will come back over it with the black 33.. i just like the look of those to colors working together. It also greys up the white area.. real nice Clark, real nice:) sorry:facepalm
jpwip23.jpg

* I masked off the white area and left the Red/wine rings exposed and ready to be sprayed. then I sprayed them bad boys with Wine73. I know people use different colors for the red .. i just like the end result with this color, plus i like the idea of it tying together with the red i used on my helmet.. maybe the guants too.. we'll see
jpwip24.jpgjpwip25.jpg

*I used some tape and some masking fluid to mask off the decal sections. and used Black 33 to do so. At this time i also used the Black 33 to weather the pack more. Esp over some of those grey 79 areas i had painted before
jpwip26.jpgjpwip27.jpg

*I removed the all the masking(wasn't completely necessary but it makes for better pictures) I put the symbols on by hand using a small/fine brush with the Black 33

jpwip28.jpgjpwip29.jpgjpwip30.jpg

.... now on to the rest :) what do you guys think? Like the rest that i have panted there will be final scratching and whether detail done to the pack as whole in the end :jetpack

Looking nice. I like the misting of the gray. I found some pics of the MOM pack that you could see some light over spray in the white sections. Really liking your fuel tanks. I was leaving the symbols & stripes till the end prior to final weathering which I intend to do with an airbrush. Need to get some color on there to give that white some contrast.

DP. You will love using an airbrush. You get lots of control. Practice your touch to help control the flow of paint. Just take your time & take something to practice on. The only thing I don't like about the airbrush is the clean up but it is worth it on the results. You will do fine, I am sure you have the artists eye. Based on the weathering of your soft parts.

Something I have found with using spray paints is if you mist in with other color before everything drys the colors tend to blend together better. I like the spray paints for the larger areas. Just gotten real comfortable with the rattle cans.

I think it looks very good. TG is probably right about the blending while the paint is wet, but I wouldn't know about doing it between the other colors. I love using rattlecans to paint as well, and as long as you have a good spray button, it's game on. Could really see the benefit of using an airbrush though to do the overspray weathering, burn/smoke marks. You can control that so much better than misting it with a rattlecan.....
Currently my JP is sitting in the corner of the room....grinning, no, sneering at me....

thank you guys... i love all the ideas and techniques that are getting shared .. good stuff .. and yes airbrush clean up can be a total pain... i get those big cans of lacquer thinner to use on the clean up .. works great..

i can't wait to get those other colors on there and make those white sections pop

well .. so here is a thing you might not want to do in the middle of a paint up.... But, i'm only half joking when i say the thought of it kept me up at night. The piano keys an my pack are upside down. I noticed it as i started the paint up .. but i thought ...* oh i can live with that .. it's not the only thing not 100% accurate on the pack.. gives it character* but it just kept nagging at me. So i broke yesterday ... it's still not 100%... but I feel a lot better now. :) maybe i'll go take a nap

-justin

jpwip31.jpgjpwip32.jpgjpwip33.jpgjpwip34.jpg

We had some kinda cold weather here today (to cold to paint anyway) .. and i'm going out of town this weekend with the wife. More updates to come next week

Wow that is a bummer, was this a pack you made or bought? I know what you mean when you are at that point & you notice something like that. At first you think it will be okay. Then the more you think about it the more you just don't like it. I have literally scrapped things & started over because it bothered me so much. My wife shakes her head at me & thinks I am absolutely crazy at times.

To be honest if you had left it alone you would have never been happy with it. Good fix on that & easier to change now. Doesn't look like it affected much.

I bought this pack from a guy on here last year. I didn't have the eye for all things Boba at that point :)... Built by who? i don't know.. the Rocket and thruster pieces ( i was told) were made By MB.. i wish i knew more about it .. it looked as though it had been around ... it had a pretty good paint job.. i almost used it and was just going to re weather, but obviously i changed my mind:) . i'm already planing on an upgrade.. but love the pack and will troop with it for a long while.
haha:lol: my wife was the same way yesterday tg.. that is too funny, but when i show the finished product then she is like ... ok i see now..

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back