Covid 19 Quarantine

SolarFett

Hunter
Hey Everyone!

Hope you’re all staying safe with your loved ones!
A little quarantine humor...my wife and I don’t have medical masks, so we’re using something a little more substantial...

1586453069422.jpeg

SolarFett - Nice! (y) Was always kinda curious if the Mando's can survive in the vacuum of space with the whole suit. I came across this link:
1586456148391.png

Now.....(and according to the lore/history of the helmets) while "On Planet" will the helmet filter out chemical or viral agents? :unsure:

Still cool nonetheless! Stay safe!

Thanks,
-Iron

Very cool picture, SolarFett !

A lot of points already covered in this thread. An elaboration:
  • All mandalorian armor was extremely personal, making the features of each one dependent on the demands of each individual as well as his budget
  • This is not a question only regarding the helmet, but the whole armor working together with sealed pressure suits, neck seals etc.
  • Theres mulitple levels in terms of what an armor / helmet could have been able to withstand:
    • Germs / viruses / biological and chemical hazards in an atmosphere
    • Underwater operations
    • Vaccum
      • So to speak: if its able to work underwater, its definatley also standing up to germs and viruses; If its able to withstand Vaccum, its also going to work underwater, etc.
      • Obviously, there is more to this, as increasing depth underwater also adds pressure, which is a different issue then Vaccum and working for prolonged time in a contaminated atmosphere means air has to be filtered and purified, which brings with it a different set of equipment then "just" having that thing sealed with a small oxigen reserve to be able to survive an hour or so in vacuum or under water. But you get the idea :)
  • None of this would have been a standard feature with mandalorian armor however, but an upgrade (as has been shown on the example of Jango by Irongladiator in his post, who didnt have a neckseal)
  • It is safe to assume, though, that a fair percentage would have opted at least for air filters in their helmets, which would even be possible without neckseals
  • There is evidence in the book "Star Wars legacy of the force 8 - Revelation", that there definately was Boba-Style mandalorian armor that was vacuum-sealed
However, in mandalorian armor upgrades like water and vacuum resistance would have been very expensive at the time of the movies and only very few Mandalorians would have had armor such equiped.
I know Kal Skiratas armor for example was not underwarter-capable.
1586517946062.png

It would have been definately possible, however to equip Mando armor in such a way, as seen in the book I mentioned.

Apart from that, there is definately personal armor in Star Wars, even ones closely linked to mandalorian armor, that had all of the features, namely, the Republic Commando armor. They had filters to avoid biohazards or chemicals in an atmosphere, could even survive in vacuum for a short period of time.
Unbenannt.PNG

Ancient Mando armor, as was stated in this thread already, was more often equiped to handle vacuum, as can be seen here:
1586516826778.png

Now - how could that all have looked? I remember having seen a comic picture of a mandalorian withouth the helmet, where the neckseal was visible which ended in a metal plate that had the same form as the helmet base and sported what looked like "sealing and locking" equipment. Wasnt able to dig up the picture.

There is also a thread on tdh which shows how another solution could have looked like:

Hope that helps
-René

ShortFuse SolarFett Irongladiator You all are right :)
Ed Harris was the inspiration for the few Kal Skirata Images that we have as reference.

Btw... that later on caused some difficulties as Kal Skirata was to be cemented in canon, given an actionfigure etc.
But in the end, he made it into being a costume option for 501st acceptance with his own CRL. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back