Chipping vs Masking Paint

JiM

Hunter
I've noticed most builders use a technique of masking and painting multiple colors over the armor/helmet/jetpack/etc. to simulate damage (ie, areas where the pain has been scraped off). Has anyone ever tried or been successful layering the paint (can or airbrush) and scraping it down to show the lower layers down to the 'beskar' finish (assuming your armor is not metal, of course)?

I've been been experimenting with various treatments, such as layering enamels over a 'weaker' acrylic sealer and then using something like 91% alcohol to soften up the paint/acrylic sealer (base for each coat) and scraping the paint away. I've also used hairspray in between coats (like they do on model railroads) and that works but chips away too easy. Tied the reverse using acrylics on enamel sealers but that was just too messy.

Does anyone know of a technique that works? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Last edited:
I assume that is for the masking technique. I'm wondering if there is away not to use a masking technique to achieve a similar finish that allows for more flexibility.

In my experience you have total control over how much chipping and where by painting on the latex. If you try to do physical damage then you run the risk of damaging the lower layer of paint or not achieving the look you want.

In my experience you have total control over how much chipping and where by painting on the latex. If you try to do physical damage then you run the risk of damaging the lower layer of paint or not achieving the look you want.
aaaaand I just went and ordered some liquid latex from Amazon because of you lol.
Need to do some retouching on my right gauntlet. Artahka did a fantastic job painting my gaunts., but as was pointed out by someone in my WIP thread, there is a LOT more damage painted onto my right gaunt than the 501st requirements call for. Need to dial it back. So, going to apply the latex to all the damage that SHOULD be there, then paint over all that shouldn't.

Having no painting experience, was trying to figure out how to paint over the excess damage, without jacking up what SHOULD be there. Thanks for the latex comment.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back