BOX CAR RED, is this for real!!??

S

STEVE THE SWEDE

Hi all!

I know that I haven't made that many posts on this board but I felt that I needed to consult the major Fett heads on this issue. I'm curently working on an ESB helmet for Jez, the owner of the Star Wars helmet page. Everything is going very well and after alot of work I've been able to secure all the paints here in Sweden that was listed by Lee. They all make perfect sense except for one....BOX CAR RED!!! This can't be right, can it!? I'm using Polly scales acrylic and it just looks aweful! I've stirred the bottle like a mad man but the color (applied on white) looks like a cross between dark purple and brown/grey!? Not even a hint of red. My first reaction was that must have mixed up the list, it must have been meant for the small purple scratches but I checked it again and it's the paint that's been listed for the mandibles.

What do you guys think!? I've done some serious research of the ESB helmet, compared it photographed under different conditions...well, I just don't know.

Anybody have an oppinion on this subject!?

Steve.

Steve, the Box Car Red shouldn't be a purple-gray. I wonder if you got a bad batch? Mine was more of a brick-red.

Yeah, I've read thru every singel post like a mad man these last days. I know people have made comments about it not being very red but mine is purple! I always expected it to be VERY brown but not purple.

Could it be as stated above, from a bad batch!? I NEVER had this problem before. I'll try and get a pic for you guys to judge from.

Thanks for helping out!:)

Steve.

Yeah Steve it could be bad bottle of paint but the white base may also be causing the funky coloration. Also Lee suggested a slight wash with a black color I believe after all painting was done to help tone down the color. That my help with your problem.
Also what are you using to thin down your paint?

OK, I might have made a mistake here. When I tried the paint beside a field of Panzer grun it actually looked good! I just can't believe how much the green changed the tone of the Box car red! When I first tried it I painted it all by itself on piece of scrap plastic. Side by side with the green it looks like it should.

My bad, thanks for all the help though!:)

Steve.

Steve, when i air brushed my box car red on it didnt look right either, it was wayyyy to brown. I know that is more brown the red, but this was not close. I took some regular old testors red and took some dropps and added it to the box car and then did a few test sprays to see if it was red enough. Sure enough it worked, and im very happy w/ how it turned out. Also steve, once you applie all the other colors and start weathering and handling the bucket, the colors start to blend and look really really good, it just looks odd until you start weathing and have all the other colors put onto the bucket, hope this helps.

-Tim Allen

My box car red was hidious as well, it was tooooo purpley looking, I think we got a bad batch, this looks different the Overkills bucket color as well.
Here is/was mine with some black wash, it didn't help.
paint1.JPG

Here it is after I tweeked it, I did some rust dry brushing on it, more black wash, red wash, and it came out much better.
paint6.JPG

paint7.JPG

Lynn

Yes, it does look way to dark. I have sent you some files via email. The Box Car Red that I used was by Floquil.
I think that mine turned out fairly good. I also used the red for my ESB Jet Pack and was happy with the results.
Darren

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:

When I tried the paint beside a field of Panzer grun it actually looked good! I just can't believe how much the green changed the tone of the Box car red! When I first tried it I painted it all by itself on piece of scrap plastic. Side by side with the green it looks like it should.

Amazing how different colors absolutely change when placed next to other colors, isn't it? I had no idea until I took graphic design in college: one of the projects required us to mix and match toned color paper to illustrate color shift. It definitely hones your eyes.

TK1068 wrote:

Yes, it does look way to dark. I have sent you some files via email. The Box Car Red that I used was by Floquil.
I think that mine turned out fairly good. I also used the red for my ESB Jet Pack and was happy with the results.
Darren

Your bucket looks really good!! It'll look better when/if you do the black wash over it all tie everything togehter as stated in Lee's thread. It needs tobe "just" a little darker in the red, not much though, but it looks really good.

I used the Box Car red Polly Scale paint and the first pic is the result of what I got, the black wash made it even more purple.

It'll tone down once the scratchs are made, better to have too dark in the beginig, and let it tone down then have too light and have tone down. I still may add a red wash over it.
I may still play around with mine though.

Like I said in previous posts..Resulta may vary. Hang in there and even the orginal painters of the helmet don't remeber the colors used so we only have ourselves to rely on the only fact for sure is Floquil was used.

Lee

When I ordered my ESB colors from Testors I received no less than three outdated jars of paint. My Boxcar Red was the purplish grey, Panzer Dark Yellow was a brownish grey with little chunks of dried paint in it, and the light grey was pretty much one solid piece of dried paint. Anyway I contacted customer service and they said to send the paints back and they'll determine the problem. We'll see what happens.

Hey guys, I just got my Testors order (it only took 6 days!(y)) but I seem to be having the purple grey boxcar red problem as pictured below...
BoxCarRed

Can anyone tell if thats a bad mix from the picture? or perhaps an alternate color I could use in place of the boxcar red? Also I realized that the dullcote is lacquer based, for those who use an airbrush, did you used it straight out of the bottle or did you use a lacquer thinner? Any and all information is much appreciated, thanx guys.(y)

-Nutcore

Hmm, that pretty much looks like the boxcar red as I used it. It is a very brown-red. Like it was stated in earlier posts in this thread, once you put it next to the greens of the helmet, it really changes how it looks. Weird, but true.
Eric

I thought this was weird too. In fact for my helmet I ended up using Box Car Red Enamel by accident and really LOVED the darker result. Just preference.

Yes I noticed this, IT looks alot like fleshtone to me. but when it dried and you put the flat on it and weather it etc etc it really got dark.

slave1driver said:
It could just be my eyes, but that looks like a bad mix to me. 'Looks pink actually.

Yeah, thats what i mean, it looks pink, then it dried like a dark brownish purple on the paper. I actually have a train store like 10 miles away from me so I'll go check and see if they have it there and if there is any difference. If not I'll give it a go, worst comes to worst i'll have to sand it off and do it over.:facepalm

-Nutcore

STEVE THE SWEDE>>

Could you be so kind to inform me where you were able to get the paints from? Internationaly or localy?
I live in Gothenburgh..
If you have the time shoot me a PM or email me tk05180@yahoo.se

Ha dé gött..!!

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back