General Boba Fett has a wardrobe? : )

jhfagan

Active Hunter
Ok peeps, I'm SURE this has been discussed, so sorries for regurgitating if so, but...just some observations of Boba's changing outfits and helms with different damage and paint jobs, and just trying to make sense of it In-Universe. I know the real world explanations are, that's all they had to work with, erratic shooting schedules, production oversights, etc, and didn't think anyone would ever be in a position as we all are now, with 4K tv's and hi res pics of the props, and being able to dissect every little image, etc...but here ya go.

As seen in ANH SE, he's wearing the original ROTJ proper helm and outfit.
Then in ESB, he's wearing the known iconic ESB proper outfit and helm.
Then, in ROTJ SE, he is first seen in Jabba's palace in the ROTJ proper helm and outfit, then, in the same day, during the schmoozing scene with the dancers, he's got the modified original ESB helm back, with the ROTJ proper outfit, then literally moments after, he's back in ROTJ proper helm and outfit, from there through the rest of his time in the film.

Surely someone was aware of the differing helms throughout the SE production?
Am I asking too much of Lucasfilm? lol

Ok peeps, I'm SURE this has been discussed, so sorries for regurgitating if so, but...just some observations of Boba's changing outfits and helms with different damage and paint jobs, and just trying to make sense of it In-Universe. I know the real world explanations are, that's all they had to work with, erratic shooting schedules, production oversights, etc, and didn't think anyone would ever be in a position as we all are now, with 4K tv's and hi res pics of the props, and being able to dissect every little image, etc...but here ya go.

As seen in ANH SE, he's wearing the original ROTJ proper helm and outfit.
Then in ESB, he's wearing the known iconic ESB proper outfit and helm.
Then, in ROTJ SE, he is first seen in Jabba's palace in the ROTJ proper helm and outfit, then, in the same day, during the schmoozing scene with the dancers, he's got the modified original ESB helm back, with the ROTJ proper outfit, then literally moments after, he's back in ROTJ proper helm and outfit, from there through the rest of his time in the film.

Surely someone was aware of the differing helms throughout the SE production?
Am I asking too much of Lucasfilm? lol
Hi jhfagan ,
I am way deeper into in-universe lore / stuff then I am into real world costumes / details / ... .
That said, my knowledge is almost exclusively of pre-disney canon, as what disney has done with Star Wars (except the Mandalorian) has absolutely suffocated any interest in "modern" Star Wars that I may have had in the beginning. So as mentioned, except for the Mandalorian, what is now known as Legends is what I am into and with what I will stick. So all my info regarding your questions is exclusively Legends-sourced.

Now to your question... There are 2 parts to a proper answer.

1)
As far as I am aware, there has never been an in-universe explenation for the differences in Bobas apparence. This is in my eyes mainly due to it not being of any significance story-wise, just like the difference in Anakins / Lukes Lightsaber etc. Also, while it would be possible to find a meaningful explenation for that there are 2 versions of the armor at different points in in-universe time (which could be that there are 2 versions of the suit that he picks from as he sees fit), it would be impossible to find an explenation that makes sense to the RotJ / RotJ SE swaps in a matter of in-universe minutes in Jabbas palace. So there is that. Not picked up on by the expaned universe.

There is more inconsitencies and inexplicable things though!
Jangos armor is supposed to be Durasteel, not beskar. At least thats what it states in Wookiepedia. This would make zero sense. There are a lot of worse-off Mandos then he is who have real Beskar armor (Legends,... again...) and Jango even was THE Mandalore. So it makes no sense him having no real beskar armor.
The dented version of his helmet though shows, that it really could not have been real beskar as that doesnt dent.

2)
Now regarding how Fetts "wardrobe" looked like and how it developed, lets look at what he used in different periods of time in his life. Again... All Legends.

He started out using his dads helmet after Jango got killed. Later on, he grew into being able to use his armor, too. By the time of the original Trilogy, however, he used an entirely different set of armor made from duraplast (a white sort of metal).

Much later, waaay after Episode 6, he had (somehow inexplicably) downgraded to a set made out of durasteel. Actually, Skirata Clan Member Jaing Skirata joked to Fetts granddaughter Mirta Gev once, that when Fett dies and they part out his armor, she should watch out to get the flamethrower and no parts of his armor, since thats junk.

By then, Boba has become the Mandalore, although for a long time he has done a very very bad job in that position. After he came back to Mandalore (the planet) and associated more with his people, a Mandalorian smith named Medrit Vasur made him a new armor out of beskar, that also included a sort of neck-ring to avoid decapitation.
He also joked, that while painting it they could incorporate fake-patina for Boba to be able to keep his meanicing apparence. I am sure, superjedi would have come in handy there ;)

Ok, thats it.
Now a quick word about beskar.
In Legends, Beskar worked somewhat differently from how it is depicted in The Mandalorian. Yes, it was a very rare ore (native to Mandalore, the planet), but that was only part of where it got its superiour properties from. Because a lot of that also came from the smithing skills of the Mandalorian people. Kinda comparable to how Damaszener Steel is made in the real world: folding, hammering, folding hammering, and so on, creating a nice visual apparence while you are at it :)
Honestly, I dont really like how they chose to implement beskar into the Disney series... Just melting it down and half-heartedly hitting it with a hammer... meh.... Seems so... supermarket-esque.

Last edited:
Hi jhfagan ,
I am way deeper into in-universe lore / stuff then I am into real world costumes / details / ... .
That said, my knowledge is almost exclusively of pre-disney canon, as what disney has done with Star Wars (except the Mandalorian) has absolutely suffocated any interest in "modern" Star Wars that I may have had in the beginning. So as mentioned, except for the Mandalorian, what is now known as Legends is what I am into and with what I will stick. So all my info regarding your questions is exclusively Legends-sourced.

Now to your question... There are 2 parts to a proper answer.

1)
As far as I am aware, there has never been an in-universe explenation for the differences in Bobas apparence. This is in my eyes mainly due to it not being of any significance story-wise, just like the difference in Anakins / Lukes Lightsaber etc. Also, while it would be possible to find a meaningful explenation for that there are 2 versions of the armor at different points in in-universe time (which could be that there are 2 versions of the suit that he picks from as he sees fit), it would be impossible to find an explenation that makes sense to the RotJ / RotJ SE swaps in a matter of in-universe minutes in Jabbas palace. So there is that. Not picked up on by the expaned universe.

There is more inconsitencies and inexplicable things though!
Jangos armor is supposed to be Durasteel, not beskar. At least thats what it states in Wookiepedia. This would make zero sense. There are a lot of worse-off Mandos then he is who have real Beskar armor (Legends,... again...) and Jango even was THE Mandalore. So it makes no sense him having no real beskar armor.
The dented version of his helmet though shows, that it really could not have been real beskar as that doesnt dent.

2)
Now regarding how Fetts "wardrobe" looked like and how it developed, lets look at what he used in different periods of time in his life. Again... All Legends.

He started out using his dads helmet after Jango got killed. Later on, he grew into being able to use his armor, too. By the time of the original Trilogy, however, he used an entirely different set of armor made from duraplast (a white sort of metal).

Much later, waaay after Episode 6, he had (somehow inexplicably) downgraded to a set made out of durasteel. Actually, Skirata Clan Member Jaing Skirata joked to Fetts granddaughter Mirta Gev once, that when Fett dies and they part out his armor, she should watch out to get the flamethrower and no parts of his armor, since thats junk.

By then, Boba has become the Mandalore, although for a long time he has done a very very bad job in that position. After he came back to Mandalore (the planet) and associated more with his people, a Mandalorian smith named Medrit Vasur made him a new armor out of beskar, that also included a sort of neck-ring to avoid decapitation.
He also joked, that while painting it they could incorporate fake-patina for Boba to be able to keep his meanicing apparence. I am sure, superjedi would have come in handy there ;)

Ok, thats it.
Now a quick word about beskar.
In Legends, Beskar worked somewhat differently from how it is depicted in The Mandalorian. Yes, it was a very rare ore (native to Mandalore, the planet), but that was only part of where it got its superiour properties from. Because a lot of that also came from the smithing skills of the Mandalorian people. Kinda comparable to how Damaszener Steel is made in the real world: folding, hammering, folding hammering, and so on, creating a nice visual apparence while you are at it :)
Honestly, I dont really like how they chose to implement beskar into the Disney series... Just melting it down and half-heartedly hitting it with a hammer... meh.... Seems so... supermarket-esque.
That is an amazing amount of fandom right there.
Great take on it.

I had read that someone said that the reason for Fett's difference in appearance, at least as far as the OT showed, was that the ROTJ Fett was an imposter, having killed off real Fett prior/during Han's transport to Jabba after ESB.
Which is why the dent is still there after having apparently had a makeover on the paint job from ESB to ROTJ, but not fixed or paint over the dent, in fact, let it get worse looking than how it was in ESB? lol

This is definitely a rabbit hole....lol

Sir, you've piqued my ears.....4kXX's?
I have the Harmy Despecialized editions, but they're not 4k.

Your journey begins here:
until it's done try the ESB Renegade Grindhouse as "ESB_Grindhouse_1080p_BD_Compat.iso" Looks pretty good after applying a LUT for color correction. Not 4k, but still an original 1980 release print scan.

you can find them on usenet or your favorite torrent site.

Experience it again for the first time.

Last edited:
That is an amazing amount of fandom right there.
Great take on it.

I had read that someone said that the reason for Fett's difference in appearance, at least as far as the OT showed, was that the ROTJ Fett was an imposter, having killed off real Fett prior/during Han's transport to Jabba after ESB.
Which is why the dent is still there after having apparently had a makeover on the paint job from ESB to ROTJ, but not fixed or paint over the dent, in fact, let it get worse looking than how it was in ESB? lol

This is definitely a rabbit hole....lol
thats the first time I ever heard something like that. I do think there is a high chance that got either confused or its made up completely or that it was some sort of semi-official at least comic strip or something. After all there also is a comic where Han and Chewie crash land on planet earth and Han dies in the impact, which leaves Chewie wandering the earth alone - being called Big Foot by humans...

I am very confident with what I know about the expanded universe that there never was a canon story where that happened. After all in the old canon Fett survives the Sarlacc, is rescued in the desert by Dengar (actually serving as best man at Dengars wedding afterwards) and goes on to have an eventful live after that - and its clear that it really is Fett.

Now, while we are at that topic, that threw up the question of mistaken or false identity in relation to Fett. And there actually is quite a multitude of events where that sort of thing happened - some of it arranged by Fett himself, others that were not.

Not an exhaustive list, but:
1) there was a deserted clone trooper, I think by the name of Spar, shortly after the clone wars, whom Fenn Shysa wanted to impersonate Boba to serve as a leadership figur to try and unite the Mandalorians. Spar refused though, but was ok with Fenn planting that rumor and telling everybody that Boba is now here and Mandalore (Mythos Fenn , you probably know more about this, right?)
Thats Spar here:
1596913864273.png

2) Boba himself gave up bounty hunting for a while and tried to start a real family (from that also, the aforementioned granddaughter came). He changed his name to Jaster Mereel, in honor of the Mandalorian who adopted Jango. Bobas grandpa so to speak. He then worked as a Journeyman protector for a while - a sort of police force. Thats actually where his girth belt comes from. Its the Journeymen protectors honor sash. Well... trouble with corrupt superious brought that to an end. By the way... Bobas chest emblem is called Jasters Feather and originates from Jaster Mereel. Maybe thats interesing for you, RafalFett ?

3) This, I know little about, but Fett also was impersonated by Jodo Kast for a while to profit from his reputation, but he hunted him down and brought that to an end. Jodo Kast 3 maybe you know more here?
Heres the confrontation scene:
1596913914307.png

I try not to delve too much into the back story of Boba Fett, because the mystery of a character lies in not knowing where, when, why or who he is. Sometimes trying to think too hard might lead you nowhere or get things worse. One of these reveals was that Boba Fett is in fact an unaltered clone of his father, Jango Fett, and this more or less ruined the character's mystery.

Regarding the inconsistent costume changes through the films, better omit the SE versions of the films (as Ord Mantell said) and you'll have the ESB version and the ROTJ version. I find it unrealistic to change your gear in a short period of time, but the fact that they did it for ROTJ led to some fill-in stories and speculations.

I think he would have changed some gear during this time, as it was some gap considering Luke become a decent Jedi and even built a new lightsaber. That's how I always viewed his journey when I originally watched it.
I agree, finding out his story isn't what I wanted. I didn't want a face reveal of Jango either. Like that Judge Dredd movie.

I still wonder what Michael Myers does during the week, but I still don't want to see it on a movie :)

I do find the stories etc fascinating, especially the depth of them. But I tend to keep to my own version of his story, it's way better.

Jango had the dent first seen in AOTC, then Boba took up Jango's helm, but lost it later between AOTC and ROTS using it to hide a bomb to try to kill Mace Windu, then got another one later which ended up being the one we eventually see on-screen, but, STILL has a dent in the same place?!?
And btw....C3PO has a dent in the same spot on his head in ANH.

Jango had the dent first seen in AOTC, then Boba took up Jango's helm, but lost it later between AOTC and ROTS using it to hide a bomb to try to kill Mace Windu, then got another one later which ended up being the one we eventually see on-screen, but, STILL has a dent in the same place?!?
And btw....C3PO has a dent in the same spot on his head in ANH.
jhfagan ,
Well... its a little more complex.

Jangos dent was not in the same spot as Bobas dent but more to the rear of the helmet.
So Bobas eventual helmet was only dented once with a "fresh dent" :D

Regarding The Clone Wars and the helmet-ambush for Mace Windu, well... Its really getting problematic here. TCW is a sort of in-between thing when it comes to canon. It is not part of Disneys canon which makes it Legends and part of the old canon officially. But it is not quite that also. Although it is not officially labeled as such, in terms of story continiuty it is much much closer to Disney then to the old pre-Disney canon.
Compared to the old Expanded Universe, there are HUGE continuity errors. I mean... WAY HUGE.
  • The way Mandalorians are portrayed as a feminized pacifist modern culture is just wrong. Plain wrong.
    The way it was in the Expanded Universe, Mandalore was a backwater world full of clans with Mandalorians. REAL Mandalorians. With armor and such.
    There were 2 different sub groups but they were really ony fractions of the bigger population of Mandos who didnt care too much about "politics".
    One of those was the Death Watch, actually somewhat similar to how its portrayed in the Clone Wars - bad guys, rogues and such.
    Opposed were the Mandalorian Supercommandos around Jaster Mereel (Jangos step dad).
    Those 2 fought in the Mandalorian Civil War (in the course of that, Jangos real farm-owning parents got killed and he was adopted by Jaster. Vhett (Fett) in Mandalorian actually means farmer).
    The Mandalorian Civil War ended with Jaster Supercommandos sort of winning, making the Death Watch almost beat by the time of the Clone Wars.
    Later on, a group of Jedi actually massaccered the Supercommandos
  • Another inconsistency is the way the force is portrayed to work
  • The entire story around Dathomir is completely different.
  • I could go on but I'll better stop ;)
So, Me personally, I wouldnt count the helmet-ambush-thing to the old canon.
Also it makes zero sense (at least in the light of the old canon)... Boba idealized his dad and prized everything he still had from him hugely... Part of the reason, why he still used the Slave One by the time it was a "classic car" (or spaceship) :D

You are right about C3POs dent being the "same". Makes sense, they just used the same sculpt for it.
FettHam THIS on the other hand is a very very funny explenation! Thanks man ;)

SPY007 On paper, it sure is sloppy continuity. We shant forget though, that it is only "us" prop-freaks who even notice this. Same with the Lightsabers, Han Solos Blaster, the different Vader-Versions and so on. I am traditionally more of a novels, comics and games kinda fan who had an interest in Expanded Universe Mandos, so not a traditional Boba-prop-guy, although im certainly getting into it.
And for the sort of fans that are interested in the universe and the stories, its just not an up-and-front issue. It took me quite some time to notice many of those changes and continuity slip-ups and I was by no means a casual fan :)
What Lucas cared about imho is telling a great story and crafting a believable universe. And that he did.
Making those movies in the 70s and 80s was really a rough job. And its amazing that they accomplished what they did with what they had. Especially for Episode 4. I dont mind the prop-continuity "errors" that much. After all, it gives us more options :D

I'm not sure what Lucas was interested in. I think he began trying to tell good stories, but he became more interested in developing technology to tell stories and lost his way as a story teller. SW and TESB are near perfect movies, just like ROTLA. ROTJ and the other IJ films becam self parodies/silly comedies, rather than the smart, witty movies they began with. Yes, the mass audiences just want to have two hrs if enjoyment at the movies, but that can be done w/o a FU to the hard core fans.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back