Boba Armor Screen Accuracy Discussion - TMS2 / Rearmored / Fresh

RamSkirata

Active Hunter
Dear Folks,

Quite a lot of people have different versions of Boba TMS2 or Cobb builds going at the moment.
The helmet has been discussed a lot, but a lot is still unknown.

What hasn't been discussed much yet is the armor. The current builds unanimously use vac formed ABS plates - 1:1 OT Boba plates.

It is obvious though that the screen used armor must be a new sculpt / new templates and also seems not to be vac formed ABS but a material that doesnt have a return edge and is the same thickness throughout.

There has been some speculation that its simply heat formed sintra. But thats about the extend of the discussion that I am aware of.
I also havent heard any discussion regarding the gauntlets.

It would be great to uncover more of this so important aspect of a costume!

Another question is, whether they really repainted the Cobb variant to become the Boba rearmored or wheter its a different set.
I would guess its a different set. We also know / suspect that Tems Stunt double has a different stunt version, where the belly plate is elongated (making it look quite strantge).

I myself am not a good observer. But some of you are: RafalFett boba87fett and many others, but I dont want to spam name tags here.
I would be happy if some of the experts could chime in, even if TMS2 Boba is not your main interest.

Attatched are some selected screenshots that might illustrate the armor best.

Attachments

• The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-23.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-23.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 506
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-31.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-31.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 402
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-34.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-34.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 384
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-35.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-35.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 373
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-51.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-51.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 344
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-60.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-60.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 374
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-67.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-67.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 336
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-87.png
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch9-87.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 344
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch14-19.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch14-19.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 360
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-4.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 340
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-18.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-18.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 375
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-21.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-21.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 364
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-22.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-22.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 337
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-30.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-30.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 402
  • The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-60.jpg
    The-Mandalorian-S2-Ch15-Boba-Fett-60.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 432
I’ll do some digging to find it, but the armor is urethane rubber as confirmed by several people on the Mandalorian Fett costuming group on FB. Of those, most notably JB Dubz who is writing the 501st CRL for the new Fett. I’m pretty positive that it is an entirely different set of armor altogether and not just repainted. Also Tem and Tim Olyphant are very different heights. Tem being 5’7” and Tim being 6’. The “stretched” armor from the one scene with Bo Katan was CGI’d that way. My best guess was that it was stretched to cover up some harness for the stunt scene. The gauntlets are a new sculpt as well. Repainted helmet is a hybrid between the ROTJ paint scheme with ESB ears. Dent in the right shoulder is much larger than ROTJ or ESB and there is no dent on right chest plate. 19 kill stripes on the helmet now, 18 orange and 1 black (presumably for the Sarlacc Pit). Both Vanth and Fett only had the right knee armor and then in “The Believer”, Fett had both. Though they seem to be shin armor now as they rest on top of the boot gaiters. Unfortunately for those trying to build this version, it changes almost scene to scene. Gauntlet hoses have 4 different versions, the ammo belt changes, the rangefinder changes frequently also. At this point, unsure of what will be dubbed “hero” because most have limited screen time and changes from shot to shot. Pair that with the lack of promotional material to date, and you have a Rubik’s cube that fights back. Also, paint is much more challenging than it seems. Armor is NOT the same color as the helmet, so that again complicates things. Basically the only 2 things that are 100% confirmed are the Nortiv8 boots and that Machinecraft parts were used on the jetpack. Long way to go on this still, but I am following with keen interest!

Yes, that very much is a challenge. You mainly fly blindly building it (at least at the moment) with the very few references in existance. I am also very certain that when the Book of Boba Fett comes out, elements change again.

I am trying to build the scratched up version in "The Tragedy", but there is not much material. Also, you can see a difference in statue from Temuera Morrison and a stuntman. I am going off of Mr. Morrison in this.

I have a one question regarding the helmet: is there, under all the scratches, still the two arrows at the front, above the brow ridge? The red and the blue one? I cannot really make it out, I cannot find any really close-up shots of helmet details. I would say yes, it seems so. But maybe somebody knows more?

The turn signals on the forehead are red and the same green used on the upper cheeks. Yet another continuity error.

Attachments

• 1BB130C0-FFFD-4502-8DCB-535988B25940.jpeg
    1BB130C0-FFFD-4502-8DCB-535988B25940.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 63BE9C32-1D6F-4EA9-9726-26321092E756.jpeg
    63BE9C32-1D6F-4EA9-9726-26321092E756.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 5E56FE81-21EB-4809-A75E-51E911D86394.jpeg
    5E56FE81-21EB-4809-A75E-51E911D86394.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 325
Unfortunately for those trying to build this version, it changes almost scene to scene
sounds like ESB, only worse.

and you have a Rubik’s cube that fights back
Hilarious phrase. Brilliant.

100% confirmed are the Nortiv8 boots and that Machinecraft parts were used on the jetpack
Something satisfying and wonderful about the fact that fan-made replicas are now cannon. Congrats, Dakota. MachineCraft

Okay, as of this moment the information is still being gathered, however the CRL draft for Cobb Vanth is up on the BHG. I'm sure a lot of the base requirements will be the same for the Re-Painted Fett. His shirt and trousers have been identified by Shawna Trpcic (Costume Designer) as a type of silk. I have spotted in a few screen caps from cap-that and howtoboba.com that the silk has a herringbone weave. The trousers are a "modified Hakama-style pant". Think samurai pants, bound at the calves to be able to fit into the leather boot gaiters. The SA girth belt rope has yet to be identified, however Pethardware sells a rope that most are using for their belts. 10mm should be the accurate size. Wasted Fett is releasing his fiberglass bucket and he also has the SA rubber hand plates. He has confirmed that he will be making the new armor in the correct Polyurethane Rubber. Also, Bobamaker will be releasing his version soon as well. No accurate jetpacks as of yet. I have found the Facebook group dedicated to the Mandalorian Series costume to be most helpful in finding info as well as vendors for this newer version. More updates and info to come.

All very interesting information. This lady is the actual costumer from "The Mandalorian", also chapter 14 (I googled her). Here in Germany, the stuff is called "Bouretteseide". It is pretty expensive, around 40 €/m. I might just make two arms out of it, nobody sees the center part of the shirt anyways.

For pants, I might search for something ready-made. If not, I might make them out of that same silk.

Last edited:
Okay, as of this moment the information is still being gathered, however the CRL draft for Cobb Vanth is up on the BHG. I'm sure a lot of the base requirements will be the same for the Re-Painted Fett. His shirt and trousers have been identified by Shawna Trpcic (Costume Designer) as a type of silk. I have spotted in a few screen caps from cap-that and howtoboba.com that the silk has a herringbone weave. The trousers are a "modified Hakama-style pant". Think samurai pants, bound at the calves to be able to fit into the leather boot gaiters. The SA girth belt rope has yet to be identified, however Pethardware sells a rope that most are using for their belts. 10mm should be the accurate size. Wasted Fett is releasing his fiberglass bucket and he also has the SA rubber hand plates. He has confirmed that he will be making the new armor in the correct Polyurethane Rubber. Also, Bobamaker will be releasing his version soon as well. No accurate jetpacks as of yet. I have found the Facebook group dedicated to the Mandalorian Series costume to be most helpful in finding info as well as vendors for this newer version. More updates and info to come.
The CRL for the clothing should be pretty similar to Post Saarlac. The only differences are going to be that there is no fraying in his clothing. We took the "looks like silk" approach to make the outfit more accessible. For infamous, of course, it will require the silk used when identified.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the herringbone weave is more important than the actual material. For that matter, and as I was not able to find a Hakama in Herringbone silk, I opted for herringbone-woven linen. I have to admit fabricating such a garment by myself goes over my abilities. Linen is also a very light fabric, and as Boba has not even a hint of gloss on him, it should have the correct look.

I also went with a standard herringbone linen oversized shirt. Thus the sleeves should have the neccessary amount of flow, everything else mostly hidden by the flak vest and his gauntlets.

For the sash/Obi with the long pieces of fabric hanging down at his right side (don't know how to really call it). I went with a silk imitation with herringbone weave. As this does not touch my skin directly, it should be fine. I found it here in Germany under the term "Bourette Imitat Seide". Looks pretty convincing to me. And zero gloss
I hope the same fabric was used for this sash as well. I will not hem the fabric hanging down, as in the screenshots you clearly see the fabric fraying.

I really don't think real silk is necessary here, you do not see it. IMO, the weave is much more important. If you want to go the hyperauthentic route though, this may well be one of the most expensive Star Wars costumes, doing almost all of the soft goods in herringbone-woven real silk.

Personally, I think the herringbone weave is more important than the actual material. For that matter, and as I was not able to find a Hakama in Herringbone silk, I opted for herringbone-woven linen. I have to admit fabricating such a garment by myself goes over my abilities. Linen is also a very light fabric, and as Boba has not even a hint of gloss on him, it should have the correct look.

I also went with a standard herringbone linen oversized shirt. Thus the sleeves should have the neccessary amount of flow, everything else mostly hidden by the flak vest and his gauntlets.

For the sash/Obi with the long pieces of fabric hanging down at his right side (don't know how to really call it). I went with a silk imitation with herringbone weave. As this does not touch my skin directly, it should be fine. I found it here in Germany under the term "Bourette Imitat Seide". Looks pretty convincing to me. And zero gloss
I hope the same fabric was used for this sash as well. I will not hem the fabric hanging down, as in the screenshots you clearly see the fabric fraying.

I really don't think real silk is necessary here, you do not see it. IMO, the weave is much more important. If you want to go the hyperauthentic route though, this may well be one of the most expensive Star Wars costumes, doing almost all of the soft goods in herringbone-woven real silk.
Actually... I disagree on the price point. This version of Boba, and especially the repainted Boba will likely be one of the most cost-effective versions of Boba out there. Whereas some screen accurate ESB and ROTK Bobas can run up to 4K and above, these onces won't even come close to that. The way the CRLs are written for the 501st are that for basic it can be silk or silk like material. For infamous, you will need raw silk.

Actually... I disagree on the price point. This version of Boba, and especially the repainted Boba will likely be one of the most cost-effective versions of Boba out there. Whereas some screen accurate ESB and ROTK Bobas can run up to 4K and above, these onces won't even come close to that. The way the CRLs are written for the 501st are that for basic it can be silk or silk like material. For infamous, you will need raw silk.
That is possible. But the fabric for the flightsuit is something of a cotton twill (well, what flight suits are made of), and the pants and shirt are pure silk. You can figure out buying both ready-made. For the movie Boba undergarments, there are options to buy them ready-made. For the Mando chapter 14, I have not found pants made of this type of silk. So you need a tailor for this. For the shirt, this might exist. IMO, it really depends how you get the parts for your costume.

That is possible. But the fabric for the flightsuit is something of a cotton twill (well, what flight suits are made of), and the pants and shirt are pure silk. You can figure out buying both ready-made. For the movie Boba undergarments, there are options to buy them ready-made. For the Mando chapter 14, I have not found pants made of this type of silk. So you need a tailor for this. For the shirt, this might exist. IMO, it really depends how you get the parts for your costume.
It's still more cost-effective. Numerous vendors are popping up selling the items on Etsy. The flight vest can be found, and I along with other members have been working with one in particular to ensure it meets the CRL. This particular flight vest is under $200. The pants are relatively easy to make. Silk isn't that expensive. $10-20 a yard. Again, all this is much more cost effective than a full on flight suit as seen worn by Din Djarin, or even OG Boba.

It's still more cost-effective. Numerous vendors are popping up selling the items on Etsy. The flight vest can be found, and I along with other members have been working with one in particular to ensure it meets the CRL. This particular flight vest is under $200. The pants are relatively easy to make. Silk isn't that expensive. $10-20 a yard. Again, all this is much more cost effective than a full on flight suit as seen worn by Din Djarin, or even OG Boba.
Okay, let's just agree to disagree.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back