And here we go: jedisushi's 501st APPROVED (!) ESB

Back with an update!

Tomorrow's a big day. I'll return to the seamstress to pick up my flight suit and flak vest, and my upgraded gauntlets and knees will be arriving courtesy of Brandon at Black Tusk, who's been great to work with. In the meantime I took care of a few things:

I rigged up my cod/kidney connection with a Velcro duty belt, set it up to make the studs functional, and reinforced the joints with filament tape. I was inspired to do it this way by another member's build thread. I'm planning to do something similar with my collar/back connection once I have my flak vest back from the seamstress. I'll be drilling holes into the back armor so want to make sure the fit is exact. I also spray died and weathered the 'thong.' :p
IMG_0897.jpeg
I installed all the jetpack hardware and rigged up the beacon light.
IMG_0864.jpeg
I received my WF boots from Dom (F4R), who did a fantastic job. I normally wear a size 10 in sneakers. These are size 10.5 and fit great.
IMG_0863.jpeg
I received some found part shin tools that I overpaid for to save time. I will eventually redo the weathering and black tape on the squeegee and swap the adjustment tool for one that's more screen accurate. Brandon at Black Tusk is making my fourth shin tool using my MCR rods.
IMG_0898.jpeg

Brandon at Black Tusk has also been hard at work on a bunch of upgrades we planned out. He originally painted the armor and gauntlets I bought, and I'm so appreciative of his fantastic communication and collaboration.

He painted and installed my vintage Eveready Minilight and MCR gauntlet darts, painted the tips of the gauntlet switches, swapped the fake dental files with my real ones on the whipcord housing, touched up paint and installed metal knee darts on the knee armor, painted and installed my real MQ-1 keyboard, painted and installed my MCR gauntlet rocket, painted my MCR studs, and last but not least installed an XLR cable I provided into the gauntlet port. I may eventually add an XLR port to my jetpack and set this up like the Super Trooper, at which point I would use a more accurate cable, but for now this is a good start.
20211025_152225.jpg20211025_152241.jpg20211025_152243.jpg20211015_132053.jpg20211015_132025.jpg

After tomorrow I should be ready to weather the flight suit and vest and make final adjustments to connection points (collar and back armor, knee straps, jetpack harness, etc.). It's looking like I'll be ready for Halloween...and shortly thereafter, 501st submission!

I haven't gotten an EE-3 yet because I'm still debating how much to invest there, but that'll happen soon enough.

Thanks for stopping by! And thanks as always to the members here who have been so generous and helpful in threads and PMs. You know who you are.

Today I weathered the flight suit. I might give it another pass after Halloween. We’ll see how it settles in when dry.

F4790751-2C5C-4DAA-8434-AD6FD281EC50.jpeg

And the last of my gear arrived from Brandon at Black Tusk. He did an awesome job.

61AB005E-3A39-4463-965A-63EE4527A531.jpeg

I just need to finalize some strapping adjustments on my harness and do the final setup on the collar/back connection points. Oh and I need to grab some washers to fit the screws for my MCR studs (which are larger than the ones that go with my resin set) and enlarge the 6 connection points to fit.

We’re in the home stretch now!

My first outing! Finished just in the nick of time for Halloween. Will write up some more details later but couldn’t wait to share. Overall it went really well, and it was great hearing kids (and adults…) screaming “BOBA FETT!”

BA5FBEBD-1CC0-4301-97A0-5BBF74553723.jpeg

6E6F4EBF-CB96-4761-A336-FE783AE0CDE0.jpegB21F72AE-FAED-4316-B39E-901CF0630F7B.jpeg98C3DBD9-3791-4540-B1F0-C7C40ECD98CB.jpegBA834C4B-DD53-4CF0-9B7C-49A01BFAEAE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! How was your first outing?

Thank you!

It was so much fun. People really respond to the costume. Half of them thought I was from The Mandalorian. :p But even if people don’t know what goes into this kind of project, I think they can really tell when a costume is done at this level, and they just light up when they see you.

I didn’t have any major malfunctions, which is great.

First, having a partner to help get dressed is utterly essential. Once the flak vest goes on, you really need that second person. But putting everything on knowing I was going all the way to the helmet was exciting. It felt great when it was all together.

One set of toe spikes came off (walking in those things takes some getting used to)… but I didn’t mind because I consider it a rite of passage!

Also… I learned not to fist bump with the left arm! That flamethrower can really get in the way.

I do have some adjustments I want to make. I’m going to put some padding in the top of my helmet so that it sits a little higher on my head. Visibility will be slightly reduced but I want more of the neck seal to be visible.

I’m also going to adjust my scuba harness so the jetpack sits 2-3 inches lower. I need more tension on the top set of hooks in the future. I’ve got a short torso so getting that just right had been a process.

I’d also like to find a tube for the right gauntlet that is more flexible than the one I have now (but still screen accurate). Happy to have recommendations there, if there is such a thing.

I may also replace my chest electronics, which are a few years old, with a newer set that’s got a lower profile.

But overall it was just great. I’ll be submitting to the 501st soon, so if folks have any feedback please don’t hesitate to share.

Last edited:
Nice jedisushi
I walked a little over a quarter mile in my ROTJ Fett to get to the event I was at. But your right, along the way, people are like Holy Crap! Even with a ROTJ Gauntlet the flamethrower got a little in the way for fist bumping - can't imagine that for an ESB Fett. I also have that issue where I look like a football player and don't have a lot of neck seal showing. I put foam on the top and while it lifted the helmet a little I didn't wanna go overboard to the point where my chin starts showing at the bottom of the helmet - is my only concern. Maybe we need to lengthen our necks like some native tribes do....
woman-Photo_-Everystockphoto_Dave-B-e1566988453629.jpg

OK....I'm 100% NOT doing that for my Fett costume - I do draw the line on some things! Hahaha!

I was also concerned about tripping on any raised concrete sidewalk and breaking off one of my toe spikes, but thankfully it hasn't happened....yet. Why doesn't someone make an all one-piece steel version of those toe spikes? It can't be that hard to make a mold. My toe spikes are the ones that were included with my Imperial Boots, I know that the spikes are separate but they have NO screw holding them on......must be an adhesive they use.

You kit looks great though! Only suggestion I have, which is minor.....the Hip Pouches - should be more centered above the thigh pouches. Also agreed that the jet pack could come down a bit, but otherwise I think you're pretty much there. Regarding your question on the hose. I used a slightly smaller outer diameter of hose, which I imagine is a little better. I noted that the 501st doesn't list how large the outer diameter should be, but they do have an approximate size for the inner diameter. How did I get it to fit on my Boba Maker Gauntlets I simply reamed out the inner diameter with a drill bit.
Hose Reaming.jpg

I was able to achieve a nice snug fit for them on my Boba Maker gauntlets that come with an aluminum tube they go over.
Gauntlet Pic.JPG

Best,
-Iron

Good call on the pouches, Irongladiator! Thank you. I attached them to the ammo pouches using individual pieces of Velcro, so the pouches themselves can slide.

That’ll be an easy adjustment. I think I’ll also add some more filler in the pouches while I’m at it…

I’d also like to find a tube for the right gauntlet that is more flexible than the one I have now (but still screen accurate). Happy to have recommendations there, if there is such a thing.

The hose itself shouldn't be flexible but the wire inside is what really needs to bend. That's what I've understood from individuals like jbdubz but I could be incorrect.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will focus my efforts on how my wire is attached to the bolt that goes into the gauntlet port. I've also found that making sure the hose is exactly the right length is essential to it looking (and behaving) right.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will focus my efforts on how my wire is attached to the bolt that goes into the gauntlet port. I've also found that making sure the hose is exactly the right length is essential to it looking (and behaving) right.

The wire goes through the flight suit and is connected to those adapters that follow all the way to the bottom of the jetpack.

The wire goes through the flight suit and is connected to those adapters that follow all the way to the bottom of the jetpack.

Totally. That connection is a phase 2 item! :) When I do it I will swap my existing XLR cable for the screen accurate one made by ITT Cannon.

It's a pain to get on to suit up...I skip that part for suiting up but it's always connected on the mannequin. But don't change your tube!

Thanks! Glad it was helpful. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Hoping to hear back from our friends at the 501st any day now…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back