Airbrush v Rattlecan - best results & techniques?

JayBox325

Hunter
Hi all,

I painted up my Boba Fett many years ago using rattle cans because I didn't have access to an airbrush. But now I have an airbrush with compressor. But I am wondering about whether it's best to use the airbrush just for the details & weathering, or should I take the time to paint entire armour panels in it?

Should I buy a airbrush with a siphon and a wider spread of paint? Does anyone have any advice regarding techniques?

I'm in the process of building a Rogue One Shoretrooper costume and I'd love to paint it all myself.

Thanks,
Jay

I painted my armor with my air brush with great results, mind you I have various guns. my fine detail airbrush isn't that great with larger areas ( i could switch out the nozzle to give a wider spray but why do that when i can just switch guns)

you should be fine with that, just experiment a bit with distance, the closer you go the finer the line (spray) becomes. just to put it into perspective my fine detail one is a .15mm

Personally I'd say it depends on your skill, and airbrush....is it single action or double action, I'd suggest getting a double action. But an airbrush is just a tool. All that aside though I'd say airbrush, gives more flexibility than a spray can would.
you can adjust air pressure, adjust the shade of paint for accuracy, have ability to do fine lines, broader areas.
in long run it'll be cheaper option as well

I've painted 3 helmets with rattle cans, my 4th I tried my hand at the airbrush. I bought a cheap beginners airbrush and a 3 gallon general use compressor from home Depot. I must say I'll never go back to spray paint for my Fett stuff! The control, thin fine layers, and the ability to mix your paints to your liking are unparalleled. The only downside I came across was only having one paint jar and having to constantly clean it between each color, but I've remedied that since. I found the general purpose compressor to be more reasonably priced then airbrush specific ones, and I can use it for other projects around the house. Good luck with your build! Which ever you choose I wish you the best!

If an airbrush is good for the helmet, would a gravity feed be better than the siphon in terms of coverage? I would like to refrain from remixing paint to avoid inconsistencies. I don't want to get a spray gun also just to keep cost down, but I will if that's better. So if you guys recommend getting both types, I will. I'm looking at the Iwata Revolution. If you guys can recommend a good spray gun, I'll greatly appreciate it. I am a complete newb and just got my helmet this week, so I apologize if this was answered already. I've done searches, but I get distracted with other posts. haha...and I am super nervous and hoping I don't mess up the paintjob.

Thanks

I recently bought an eclipse as an upgrade to my existing airbrush. I'm very happy with it. I prefer bottle fed but that's a personal preference. I have not noticed a difference performance based on the different type of feed other than bottles make it easier for me to swap colours and gripping the bottle gives me something to do with my sausage fingers.

I have a Paasche D500 and airbrush set I got at my local hobby store for $100. It's a phenomenal bargain since I've used the sucker in over 110 degree heat here in SoCal and no overheating even during extended use. The control has a little to be desired and the paint cup is a b**** and a half to clean out every single time you want to paint something. Still, airbrush or nothing for me. It's not even a question. All the pros and no cons rather than ease and convenience of rattlecans. In my opinion, you'll never get the right shades and colors from cans and layers are always too thick and cause gripe when removing masking fluid. Invest in an airbrush and just watch how the quality of your paint jobs will increase by a large margin.

Sent from my iPhone

Gravity feed. Why? You can spray at a lesser PSI than siphon, less chances of splatter and can change you spread on the spot. As far as mixing paints just buy paint bottles, problem solved.

So would a 0.5mm nozzle give enough of a spread to make painting a back-plate quicker? 0.5mm doesn't sound very big! :p

.5 is pretty large actually....I use a .3 for many things and have a fan head .3 which is similar to what youd see a car painter paint with but smaller in scale.

Helmet: nothing, but airbrush. Armor: Rattlecans and airbrush for misting and fine detail.

I was thinking about this when the time comes, as I have an airbrush. I would assume hit the large areas with spray, and detail with the airbrush? Regarding the helmet/armor colors, I know they're off a little bit but how would you get those to match?

I was thinking about this when the time comes, as I have an airbrush. I would assume hit the large areas with spray, and detail with the airbrush? Regarding the helmet/armor colors, I know they're off a little bit but how would you get those to match?
I used only air brush on the helmet :) The armor I'm using rattle cans and then air brush to mist over some areas for weathering. Oh and I used the airbrush for the decal on the chest and shoulder.

I used only air brush on the helmet :) The armor I'm using rattle cans and then air brush to mist over some areas for weathering. Oh and I used the airbrush for the decal on the chest and shoulder.
but do the helmet and armor colors vary? I know the dome and cheeks are the same, the back is different. how would I color match the armor with the helmet colors?

Sent from my SM-G930T

The armor is a totally different color green than anything used on the helmet.
from what I've read on here I've kinda thought so, but just wanted to make sure. bought an airbrush kit/compressor for the helmet and armor details, the bulk armor/JP I'm gonna hit with the spray paint and airbrush/dry brush on the weathering. thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G930T

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back