A note on Pantone...

Arkady

Well-Known Hunter
Hey guys, I just looked at the new ROTJ CRL and I see that there are links to Pantone colors. As far as soft parts go, those links are not really helpful because they are not the textile codes. And it's not so easy to match the C codes to the textile codes. So basically, you are just matching what is on your computer screen (which can be off) or if you print it (which can also be off). The only way to match it is with a Pantone swatch book which is very expensive.

You can buy the swatches as samples on different stock ( TPX - Textile paper ) from pantone , they come as A4 sheets and are about $15 each. But I think the colours are just to be used as guides.

That's good to know. I did try to get fabric dyed once with a pantone number that was not a textile code and cross referencing on pantone's website came up with a color that looked very different.

Arkady yes, the pantone colors are just there as a guide... it's as close a thing as exists for an international color standard. Where saying "light blue" is highly subjective, this at least gives a way to say "it should basically look like this".

We aren't expecting you to dye things using Pantone dyes :)

Ah, but I have gotten people asking about specific pantone colors. To be fair though, I think I'm the one who opened the can of worms by asking the community to come to a consensus on a PP1 color by using pantone swatches. And while I do not dye things, I can take fabric to a professional dye house and have fabric dyed using pantone numbers. But they need to be the textile codes.

Pantone offer a cross referencing system that matches different pantone prefixes with the closest match desired prefix ie Paper uncoated U to TPX

You can find it here

Select either coated (C) or uncoated (U) then input your colour scroll to the bottom and select fashion and home interiors cotton

IMG_20190320_141855.jpg

I just chose any blue for the demo as I am unsure which blue they used to dye both the flak vest and flightsuit at the same time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back