3rd times a charm: yet another ESB build with lots of scratching'!

Rafal to the rescue! No seriously though, your ductape/chewing gum build is looking pretty nice.

Sent from my XT1585
Thanks ToEleven, I wrote a long disclaimer about how this one was a stand in till I could buy a resin version. I noticed the other day that the pvc barrel is a little off plumb, it's that thing where you can shoot around corners, but only to the left! The barrel doesn't taper, the actual scope rings around the scope are new style (wrong), the D frame is kydex and flimsy, the list goes on. To top it off, I'm having a hard time drilling the oblong holes in the "flash tube" (drain pipe)...
ahhgg.
still, its job is to get me through a parade in Kansas at Halloween, and most likely, everyone will be looking at my pink Darth Vader daughter! So, I think it'll pass muster.
I was digging it after dry brushing it, but then I started working it with pastels and it really started to look old. Got some more weathering to do on it and get some greeblies stuck on then I'm marking it off the list.

My daughter would be so jealous!

For your oblong holes do you have a dremel cut off wheel to cut some slots between the drill holes?

Sent from my XT1585

My daughter would be so jealous!

For your oblong holes do you have a dremel cut off wheel to cut some slots between the drill holes?

Sent from my XT1585

Yeah, I have a dremel, but the drawing I found (if I'm reading it correctly) has 5mm holes that "touch" to make a 10mm oblong hole. I thought about trying to spread them a little further and that may be what I have to do. So do you suggest trying to drill them with a mill or so gap and just dremel it out?

Yeah, I have a dremel, but the drawing I found (if I'm reading it correctly) has 5mm holes that "touch" to make a 10mm oblong hole. I thought about trying to spread them a little further and that may be what I have to do. So do you suggest trying to drill them with a mill or so gap and just dremel it out?

Yeah, that's probably what I would try just to get the look right. They look more like a slot to me anyway. You may not be able to sink the wheel all the way in, but maybe just enough to get a clean line between your holes.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

About to come off the workbench. Guys I know there is a lot "wrong" with this thing, but it'll make do until I can lay hands on a Sidewinder. Tonight I attached the greeblies I got in from DVH, thanks Lou, they came out great! I turned the scope around for movie accuracy (very hard for a gun enthusiast from Texas to do, put a scope backwards on a gun!). I may weather the hand grip a little more, it still looks a little too new for me. All in all though, for it to be pvc, bondo, pine, resin and all, I'm pretty proud of it. I don't know why I like those V8 connectors so much, they just look sick. I think it reminds me of some old kind of Walker colt or something. That would be a cool base gun to build an EU gunoff of!
thanks for checking it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpgimage.jpgBig@$$ tarantuleroarahsourus rex in the shop tonight! Cut out cod and butt plate. Route and mold tomorrow.

That's one nasty spider! But that blaster looks great! I think that's gotta be one of the best scratch built ee3's I've seen. Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

That's one nasty spider! But that blaster looks great! I think that's gotta be one of the best scratch built ee3's I've seen. Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

thanks brother, I had fun building it. That spider frickin ran off before I could kill it, my daughter stuck her head in the garage to tell me goodnight and I got up so she wouldn't see it and freak out. Came back, he gone!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Got the cod and butt plate started up pretty good. Probably have to do another round of bondo to get it like I want it. But overall I'm pleased with how it't coming out.

**Edit** you know the old saying "measure twice, cut once"? Same goes for reference material. I don't think I like the mold, the height of the codpiece or anything about this. I might try sanding this on the belt and seeing if I can get it to look more screen accurate. But I over thought/built this thing. Crap!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Cod 2.0. I liked the first Fett Magnum cod I made, but this one is a little more realistic. Started weathering cape tonight, my favorite weathering tool? My belt sander! By far the most satisfying part of my build so far! Then did some dying, some pastel, some funky water in a bucket and hang it to dry. See what it looks like tomorrow and might continue on with it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Started mocking up toe spikes. Tried using some 1/2" aluminum bar stock, but that didn't work out so I went back to my pen tip idea! Looks alright, but I'm gonna buy some printed ones when these get hung up and snap. I just wanted to try and see how they'd work out. They'll get by.
Cape turned out pretty good. Think it needs more dirt and grime?

image_2.jpg

OK, guys, I lucked into a cool deal on a Fettronics display off the cargo hold. It had a wire needed soldering, took me longer to unpack it than it did to fix it. Works great. For me, next to the helmet and blaster, this is one of the coolest things about the Fett Costume. I'm stoked. One piece at a time, getting closer. I just got another project almost wrapped up and once it's gone, I can get back to making armor, ammo belt etc.

Cheers!

Well, I don't have any pics of it, but I got a cast resin Pulce 40 from Wasteland in. It looks cool and will need little work to get it done.
The Pulce was one of my dread projects just because the ones I've seen for sale on here, replicas anyway, have been too expensive for my blood. Then I saw Wasteland's thread and I jumped all over it. Great product, great price.

I enjoying watching this build thread of yours. Keep sharing. It is very inspiring. As a droid builder, I like to make as much as I can. It make me feel that I own more of it. Buying kits or parts runs is great, because someone has taken the time to replica the product to exact or close to movie screen. But the effort you are putting into it....well it is you, yours. Awesome work you are sharing. Note by no means I am trying to take away from buying product runs. I have bought some. Just because it made sense of time, material and my patience (lol). When I see someone do this from scratch and looks amazing. Again Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

southern Indiana
scott

I enjoying watching this build thread of yours. Keep sharing. It is very inspiring. As a droid builder, I like to make as much as I can. It make me feel that I own more of it. Buying kits or parts runs is great, because someone has taken the time to replica the product to exact or close to movie screen. But the effort you are putting into it....well it is you, yours. Awesome work you are sharing. Note by no means I am trying to take away from buying product runs. I have bought some. Just because it made sense of time, material and my patience (lol). When I see someone do this from scratch and looks amazing. Again Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

southern Indiana
scott

Thanks Scott, that means a lot! I enjoy doing it, unfortunately life and the job are getting in the way. I'm about to build an all leather ammo belt. I can't wait to get started. Like you, I have to buy some things from time to time, like my awesome Pulce 40 from Wasteland. But I have to put it in perspective of how much my time is worth vs. how much the product would cost. He was offering those at such a great price I couldn't turn it down. I still have to paint it and weather it though (which is the part that I like best). Wookie braids were another thing I decided to buy. I think my material cost plus my learning curve on braiding the parts would have exceeded Woodman's price, so those were a no brainer as well.
But I know what you mean about "owning" the part after you scratch build it. Big feeling of accomplishment after you do some of this stuff for yourself. Sometimes I feel sorry for the guys that just buy all their components vs building some of it. I feel like they're missing out on a lot. That's not to say that piecing a complete costume together isn't rewarding in and of itself. And that is challenging too, in it's way. But then you some of these guys who are so talented on here and it's pretty awesome and inspiring. Makes me want to build crap!
thanks for the kind words, keep watching, I'll keep posting...

Vest and neck seal came in today. I was blown away by the quality of this piece. You hear all the good things about Arkady's work, but I wasn't really prepared for how nice both the vest and neck seal are. I really hate to have to put the armor attachment holes in it! Thank you Carole!!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back