3D Scan of GMH Boba Fett Helmet

I’m with Art and co. on this and don’t really see the issue. Taking files, measurements etc. to 3D scan, put together and result in a high-class product would take a considerable amount of knowledge and know how. I don’t see it as a great deal different to a pepakura base, which also comes from scanned files. Very different to just taking a mold of pre existing work in my opinion.

I dunno. You could use the dimensions off of this thing, but it would be easier just to model something from scratch. It's just gonna be a ton of work. I will be really surprised if we see much come of this file.

This is interesting as I happen to have my old GMH on the desk as I was getting some comparison pics done the other day.
The scan is fascinating for its detail, it's all there in its wonky glory.
The thing is I'm really not sure why there are comments saying that it can't be printed as it is.

I viewed it in 3D builder which is the simple program on every computer that has windows 10, so pretty much every computer. It prompts you to fix the slight problems with the mesh, that takes about 3 seconds to resolve.
The helmet then just needs turning over as its at a funny angle and saving as an STL and then it's totally printable...With no real work at all...
The Cura printing software is telling me it will take about a day and a half to print. I can even scale it up a bit to resolve the casting issues that have caused it to be a little small, I'm thinking 6%.

So there it is, a production lineage accurate, 1:1 full scale bucket (which the GMH itself is not remember, not quite anyway) printable in under two days. It will obviously need post printing work so it won't have all the little scratches and paint chips you can see on the GMH but all the big scratches will be there fine.

I for one feel that we should need permission from the current mold holder Skyfire. I'm not sure why there are not any copies already on ebay, maybe there are, and with the legit lineage claims and size improvements, it could be very popular.

Last edited:
This is interesting as I happen to have my old GMH on the desk as I was getting some comparison pics done the other day.
The thing is I'm really not sure why there are comments saying that it can't be printed as it is.

I viewed it in 3D builder which is the simple program on every computer that has windows 10, so pretty much every computer. It prompts you to fix the slight problems with the mesh, that takes about 3 seconds to resolve.
The helmet then just needs turning over as its at a funny angle and saving as an STL and then it's totally printable...With no real work at all...
The Cura printing software is telling me it will take about a day and a half to print. I can even scale it up a bit to resolve the casting issues that have caused it to be a little small, I'm thinking 6%.

So there it is, a production lineage accurate, 1:1 full scale bucket (which the GMH itself is not remember, not quite anyway) printable in under two days. It will obviously need post printing work so it won't have all the little scratches and paint chips you can see on the GMH but all the big scratches will be there fine.

I for one feel that we should need permission from the current mold holder. I'm not sure why there are not any copies already on ebay, maybe there are, and with the legit lineage claims and size improvements, it could be very popular.

I’ve actually already 3D printed it, kept it the same size for us shorter people but I’m filling in all the damage to make an esb and Rotj version, then going back to increase its size in Cura to offer it for larger sized people.

As far as recasts, there are already gmh helmets being sold on eBay and Etsy, which are obviously smaller from being recast again.

How is it that I didn't think of that??? I was ecstatic to get my GMH2, only to find that it didn't fit on my head.

View attachment 176819

I for one feel that we should need permission from the current mold holder. I'm not sure why there are not any copies already on ebay, maybe there are, and with the legit lineage claims and size improvements, it could be very popular.

Could i ask how you came to that number? The 6%? I only rose it up by 3% which added about half an inch in each direction. Im not sure how much more i could scale it without it exceeding my build plate but i thought half an inch would be good to resolve the shrinkage issue.

I just ask because I might consider making it bigger before I offer it for sale, since I want it to actually fit people haha.

Could i ask how you came to that number? The 6%? I only rose it up by 3% which added about half an inch in each direction. Im not sure how much more i could scale it without it exceeding my build plate but i thought half an inch would be good to resolve the shrinkage issue.

I just ask because I might consider making it bigger before I offer it for sale, since I want it to actually fit people haha.
Well we pretty much know each generation leads to shrinkage, defo...As to answer your question, in this thread on the RPF

Don Bies explains how much shrinkage he thinks was introduced when molding and casting the Empire 3PO for the don post statue. He comes to the amount of 6% and this number always stuck in my head. Knowing the tale of the GMH as recorded so well on this forum I think the two instances are comparable. Upping the GMH stl in 3D builder by 6% makes it a still a little smaller than the FPH2 which is regarded by Fettpride to be a little large on purpose as he was filling a void for that slightly larger size at the time of creation.
So basically Bies gave an educated guess to this sort of thing, I feel with my gut that it's about right with no proof other than that whatsoever and can't back it up. That's how we make props normally Isn't it? :)

Put it this way if it feels wrong, reprint, it's the crazy future now.

Still def think we need to check with Skyfire first especially if you intend to sell them, it will even still have the GMH logo in the visor cut.
Thats recasting in my book.

I thought the problem with the 3D recast was closed.

I show my model, it's full made from scratch model of the helmet, fixed geometry, which was broken on the original helmet, some dimensions are given to the size of the RafaleFett and original photos, particularly with regard to the right ear, and rangefinder on this model, it is in the form, which must be visual.

11113310.jpg11113311.jpg11113312.jpg11113314.jpg11113315.jpg

The ears of the helmet I took from the free access RafalFett.

I’m only trying to help clarify. In the 3d printing communities there are the exact same permissions required from the file owners as from casting permissions from our world here.
Raf has given permission for his creation to be shared. Fettpride, Asok and Skyfire have not.

This is only a problem if someone intends to sell I’m sure, if so just print Rafs.
It’s as good as the GMH, but it’s not the GMH, problem solved.

We have been through all of this on the 3PO printing facebook group and all permissions from those who worked on the project are cleared. So we print...
It’s all too late now the scan is out anyway.

Believe me I asked the same thing 10 or 12 years ago but you live and learn.
Anything with lineage is a recast, this is the grey area that Art Andrews has been talking about. George lucas has always backed the costuming groups so we are cool at that level as long as we dont make it big business (See Ainsworth).

We should really be saying "cleared recasts" or "uncleared recasts" so there is no confusion

But we def should not screw "each other" over, other wise why should people like Fettpride, Asok or Skyfire even bother, seriously Why?
No GMH at all?

Who then clears or unclears the recast? Fett pride recast the GMH and altered it and that seems to have been OK within the community.

Who's Ainsworth BTW?

web301.jpg

All of this is free to print from thingiverse or Sean Fields site, print that.
If someone wants to sell copies or cast copies of any of this its specifically in the conditions of downloading that they have to ask for clearance.

Lucky for me i don't sell anything :)

Last edited:
Who then clears or unclears the recast? Fett pride recast the GMH and altered it and that seems to have been OK within the community.

Who's Ainsworth BTW?

Andrew Ainsworth.
I think you have to ask Art for details of the first question It may be answered in the two threads dedicated to it and pinned at the top of the helmet page.

Joe Johnson seemed ok with it when he painted his GMH for make a wish? Thats pretty high up representation but still "Greyish" :)

I only came back on here to post some comp pics and see if the efx reviews are in but this has been fun.

You can’t claim the whole “well who said they could cast the original?!?!”. That argument is so old and done to death. Any small amount of research on the rpf or even here will yield numerous answers of why it’s allowed.

“But but but X Companies IP!” I get new people don’t have any clue about this kind of thing as it’s sort of a behind the scenes deal, but if you’ve been here a while, that argument starts to sound like you’re just trying to find an excuse to recast someone.

Also, anyone making copies just for personal use and not for sale doesn't change what you're doing or absolve you in any way from the recasting stain.
I do agree with you but unfortunately no-one would ever know... I feel this one is so simple, we just ask Skyfire if its ok and that's it.
He's an active member on this forum. It's like not asking someone that's sitting in the same room.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back