3D Scan of GMH Boba Fett Helmet

I do agree with you but unfortunately no-one would ever know... I feel this one is so simple, we just ask Skyfire if its ok and that's it.
He's an active member on this forum. It's like not asking someone that's sitting in the same room.
They'll know.

Skyfire has already commented and his response to this recasting is not ambiguous. I don't see any reason to ask him anything further.

To further clarify, just because you didn't dump silicone over the original object, doesn't mean it wasn't recast.
Let's take TrooperMaster's stormtrooper armor and helmet sculpts, they are entirely hand sculpted, if you went and used photogrammetry or 3D scanning technology to render a model and make a cast of his helmet and armor, without just making molds from a set you bought, you're still taking someone else's work and recasting it.

If I were to buy the molds and rights to TM's sculpts and someone went and scanned a previous set of his that they owned due to him selling the molds and rights and started producing their OWN recast sets of the armor and helmet, it would be recasting.

So why would this be any different? Skyfire bought the molds and rights to the GMH helmet. Circumventing his ownership and say so over the rights to reproduce the helmet is low.

This is recasting 100% recasting especially when you’re going to call it a GMH and resell copies. There’s no way to get around it.

Now, having the 3D file and creating yourself a helmet is the grey area in my opinion.

It’s like taking someone’s armor, throwing clay on top of it, filling in the damage and saying it’s new armor.

They'll know.

Skyfire has already commented and his response to this recasting is not ambiguous. I don't see any reason to ask him anything further.
I meant if someone recasted just for themselves and their own shelf, no one would ever know, as it wouldn't be out there.
Unless you are big brother intwenothor :)

In regards to recasting whether it be a physical item or a digital file, trying to argue that others have done it or that the end product would be different from the original item is beyond silly.

With 3D files that you purchase from someone, you are paying for the right to produce that file for your personal use. However once you start producing items from that file to sell without the consent of the modeler/creator whether you alter the file or not, you are “recasting”. It’s just the same as it is with physical items where somebody has molded something, used an original to sculpt on, or even cut out pieces to use in a Frankenstein’s monster mish-mash with their own work. It all can be seen as recasting.

Would putting clay over my armor and stamping in the dents be considered recasting because it isn’t silicone? Yes. I am also not ok with this.

Attachments

• 1414DD5A-F769-49A6-A824-3071D2ADC5CA.jpeg
    1414DD5A-F769-49A6-A824-3071D2ADC5CA.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 409
That is not your armor. Jesus. Mods you’re just going to let this happen? I’ve messaged you guys so many times about him harassing me.

You’re full of yourself WF.

Besides, FP sculpted everything you make. So if I was recasting, it would be his armor. But I’m not.

Art Andrews
Mike M.

Last edited:
I’ve bought al the molds/ bucks I have-

Fett -
Gauntlets, armor, helmets, jetpack from Fettpride

Jango -
Armor, gauntlets, helmet, holsters from BKBT

EE3 -
Skyfire’s Webley, my own found parts, cnc’d my own stock and D-handle

Sidearm-
My own pulce 40

Femm fett - my own sculpt

Wasted Fett Shoes - ordered from China and dropped shipped.

I think that’s it.

My hero armor that Fettpride has never sold

Wrong.

Scott Kaufmann
"If an accusation of recasting is made, the burden of proof falls solely on the accuser. It is not the responsibility of the accused to prove their innocence in any form. The Dented Helmet chooses to believe our members are innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until they can provide proof of their innocence. It is not the job of the administration to determine if an individual has recast, only their job to administer punishment if an accuser provides definitive proof of recasting"

I don’t have to do anything or prove my innocence. I am being accused by WF and his clique and I have sent multiple messages to mods about me being harassed by wasted Fett and no one has done anything. Here he is again accusing me and disparaging my name and once I release MY armor there will be proof that I’m not recasting. But favoritism has played a huge role toward him and his clique.

Last edited:
I’ve actually already 3D printed it, kept it the same size for us shorter people but I’m filling in all the damage to make an esb and Rotj version, then going back to increase its size in Cura to offer it for larger sized people.

As far as recasts, there are already gmh helmets being sold on eBay and Etsy, which are obviously smaller from being recast again.

But you've already admitted to recasting the GMH. I don't understand the point you're trying to make; you're saying you haven't when you've already told us you have.

But you've already admitted to recasting the GMH. I don't understand the point you're trying to make; you're saying you haven't when you've already told us you have.

Recasting according to you, Andy. Which means so has everyone else on this thread who is working on it, such as Uhbif . Art has said its cool to have the file up, others have said no. If printing the GMH is recasting according to Art then ill trash the 3d print, and record me as evidence. Simple as that. If increasing its size and adding my own physical ROTJ damage which is a "grey area"(Buda) is cool by Art, then ill continue with that. If it wasn't cool, Art and Rafal wouldn't have said that the 3d file should be kept up.

Art is the arbiter of what can or cannot be posted and the code of conduct, as he owns the board. He isn't the arbiter of everything else in the world. You've simply found a way of copying something without covering it in silicone.

And so far I think you're the only one who has admitted to making yourself a copy. Everyone else knows what they have or haven't done.

I wondered if it would be a recast. No. But someone can decide otherwise. Still it does not hurt Asok, on the contrary, his work will continue to help us.
I'll temporarily disable the file link. If the community decides it's a recast, I'll delete this scan.
Road to hell's paved with good intentions.

Repost the link. As Art said, this is not a direct recast, because between the scanned helmet and the finished 3D model (that someone will do) will be some minor to major differences.

I agree with Art and Rafal. While thingivers offer free files, anyone can alter and make changes. It is also stated to give credit if you remix it, and or where credit is due. There will always be someone out there to defile and exploit our work, but we can't let that stop us from moving forward.

I’m with Art and co. on this and don’t really see the issue. Taking files, measurements etc. to 3D scan, put together and result in a high-class product would take a considerable amount of knowledge and know how. I don’t see it as a great deal different to a pepakura base, which also comes from scanned files. Very different to just taking a mold of pre existing work in my opinion.

Again, its your opinion that I recast, but others don't see it that way. I agree with others that its not a recast. But you disagree. If a definitive consensus agrees that its a recast, ill trash it like I said before.

Thank you for your input Andy.

I understand that some are fine with it as you have quoted. Others clearly are not, including the person who, apparently, currently owns the rights to the thing. I'll not trouble to quote those people as their posts remain up. Go your own way, I do.

I'm sure I recall a similar thread from a few years back when the MR, out of licence, was first being copied. I believe at that time the situation was left as, and I'm paraphrasing here, that it would be for the community to decide what it found acceptable in terms of recasting that particular item. I expect that may end up being the test here too.

I'm sure I recall a similar thread from a few years back when the MR, out of licence, was first being copied. I believe at that time the situation was left as, and I'm paraphrasing here, that it would be for the community to decide what it found acceptable in terms of recasting that particular item. I expect that may end up being the test here too.

I think why the community found the MR situation acceptable is because MR lost the license. No person or company could claim and reworked Boba Fett PP3 as their own. So those will the skill (like Fett Pride) then started to sell altered recasts.

In this case the GMH’s rights were properly sold and given to Skyfire. Just like Fett Pride’s molds were sold to Wasted Fett snd animefan.

Slapping on clay and altering that armor is recasting. Plan and simple. Alerting the armor to create Jango Fett armor is recasting.

I think why the community found the MR situation acceptable is because MR lost the license. No person or company could claim and reworked Boba Fett PP3 as their own. So those will the skill (like Fett Pride) then started to sell altered recasts.

In this case the GMH’s rights were properly sold and given to Skyfire. Just like Fett Pride’s molds were sold to Wasted Fett snd animefan.

Slapping on clay and altering that armor is recasting. Plan and simple. Alerting the armor to create Jango Fett armor is recasting.
Indeed. I was speaking more of this wider 3D scanning and printing issue on which I think we agree.

Funnily enough I recall Steve Dymzso getting really irate about MR stuff being recast on the RPF, shortly before he was banned, so he clearly wasn't cool with it. I think he went as far as to say he wished he could hunt every MR recaster down, or words to that effect.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back