3D Scan of GMH Boba Fett Helmet

Uhbif

Hunter
It's an old helmet made by the great Asok. It's the best I could find. I originally wanted to scan a copy of the real helmet, but I couldn't find it. I hope this will help someone talented to make a good 3D model of Boba Fett helmet for all fans.

111.jpg 112.jpg 113.jpg 114.jpg 115.jpg

Helmet scan

Last edited:
Wouldn't that constitute recasting?
You can't print this scan.
You need to create a model, it's a lot of work.
You have to print it, it's also a lot of work.
Before the final result, you need to make a lot of effort.
I wondered if it would be a recast. No. But someone can decide otherwise. Still it does not hurt Asok, on the contrary, his work will continue to help us.

I'll temporarily disable the file link. If the community decides it's a recast, I'll delete this scan.

Road to hell's paved with good intentions.

Last edited:
I understand what needs to be done with the file to produce a product but if an end product can't be reproduced without this scan of the GMH then whatever the end product is has to be a GMH recast.

Whilst Asok is dead that doesn't change that others still have a potential vested interest in the GMH. Fettpride and Skyfire spring to mind. Unless Bill put this out there, owning the rights to it and declaring it a free for all to anyone then I can't see how this would be okay.

I understand what needs to be done with the file to produce a product but if an end product can't be reproduced without this scan of the GMH then whatever the end product is has to be a GMH recast.

Whilst Asok is dead that doesn't change that others still have a potential vested interest in the GMH. Fettpride and Skyfire spring to mind. Unless Bill put this out there, owning the rights to it and declaring it a free for all to anyone then I can't see how this would be okay.

This is a tough one and has become more and more of a concern as 3D scanning and photogrammetry have become a norm, even something that can be done with a mobile phone. It isn't recasting in the classic sense of the word, although I'll be the first to admit, it could easily be construed as such. With that being said, I was the one who OKed this to be posted and here is why.

For years we have seen an artist take a helmet and use it as reference. Whether it is measurements or overlaying shapes, we have never batted an eye at someone taking someone else's work and using it as a reference for their own. I am sure plenty of people here can point to a helmet or set of armor and say, "this was inspired by that." I know it is a bit of a slippery slope, but in offering up a raw scan, the OP hasn't done anything wrong. Could his scan be used wrongly? It could. No doubt. But any seller sending one of their helmets out to a buyer could also have that helmet be used wrongly. Again, I know this is all grey area, but a call had to be made, and I made it based on the fact that there is nothing inherently wrong in scanning a helmet or even offering that scan to the public. What may be done after... well, that would take further consideration.

I think we're all piggybacking on someone else's work here aren't we? The GMH is something that was probably never meant to be out in the wild in the first place.

I think we're all piggybacking on someone else's work here aren't we? The GMH is something that was probably never meant to be out in the wild in the first place.

That is true, but also a slippery slope that, in the past, has led to justification of direct recasting. With regard to the GMH and any helmet with lineage, it is hard to say what they were "meant" for. Likely, most of those castings were simply made for friends of friends 30+ years ago because it was cool and laying around in someone's shop. They never thought beyond that. You still see this happening today in the prop and model shops. Test castings. Castings for friends. Castings made specifically to backdoor out into the screenused market... there is never a thought about someone getting one and recasting it and if you asked most of those people, they wouldn't care or think anything of it.

Recasting has ALWAYS been a very grey area with NO moral high ground, only differences in opinion on what is ok. With the digital age upon us, that needle is moving again.

That is true, but also a slippery slope that, in the past, has led to justification of direct recasting. With regard to the GMH and any helmet with lineage, it is hard to say what they were "meant" for. Likely, most of those castings were simply made for friends of friends 30+ years ago because it was cool and laying around in someone's shop. They never thought beyond that. You still see this happening today in the prop and model shops. Test castings. Castings for friends. Castings made specifically to backdoor out into the screenused market... there is never a thought about someone getting one and recasting it and if you asked most of those people, they wouldn't care or think anything of it.

Recasting has ALWAYS been a very grey area with NO moral high ground, only differences in opinion on what is ok. With the digital age upon us, that needle is moving again.

Yeah, that makes sense...well put.

I agree with Art and Rafal. While thingivers offer free files, anyone can alter and make changes. It is also stated to give credit if you remix it, and or where credit is due. There will always be someone out there to defile and exploit our work, but we can't let that stop us from moving forward.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back