Jet Pack 11/3/16 UPDATE! Fettastic ESB Jetpack paint up (pic heavy)

Excellent job, your pack really looks great!
@skaalaluke, I had a similar problem with my MOW jetpack, and I think it was due to insufficient sanding in preparation. I found the surfaces I really worked over held the paint fine (I used the same kind Fettastic mentions), but on some I thought smooth enough I had a real problem with peeling. After sanding further, the paint then stuck fine to those areas.

Thanks, and good call Dv8r! If you don't sand before applying the primer it won't have much to cling to especially on these MOW jetpacks. They are super smooth. I washed mine thoroughly, sanded and wire wooled before I added the primer. I also Wire Wool in between each coat of paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the great advice, I am working in a climate that can be a beautiful 70 degrees one day and then 95 with 100% humidity the next (midwest). I definitely didn't do enough prep work to what I'm painting but in between the final layers here I'm going to do more wire wooling(not sure that's a word). Thanks for everyone's advice!

Sent from my SM-G925V

Looks great man! I definitely used the magnet ideas to attach my rocket. :)

The magnet works great! Especially if you can use the washers to space it out just right so that the magnets don't quite touch...the rocket will sit flush with the center coupler every time and will keep the coupler on with quite a lot of pressure. This also makes it so that you don't have to glue or permanently attach your coupler to the lower rocket body of the Jetpack. I like to keep as much of the Jetpack as possible in attachable parts. Makes for storing, traveling, and upgrading parts a breeze.

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I am working in a climate that can be a beautiful 70 degrees one day and then 95 with 100% humidity the next (midwest). I definitely didn't do enough prep work to what I'm painting but in between the final layers here I'm going to do more wire wooling(not sure that's a word). Thanks for everyone's advice!

Sent from my SM-G925V

Try not to paint when it is super humid, or super dry. If it's too dry the paint can evaporate almost immediately trying to create a balanced atmosphere and leave uneven paint strokes. When it's too humid the paint won't dry and cure correctly. I think the ideal humidity is 40% but obviously nobody is going to wait around for that perfect level...Unless you can paint in a pretty controlled environment like a garage with a humidifier but then again you don't want to be painting in a really enclosed environment. It's a science. And I'm no expert but I believe in this field, he who preps the most is king. Don't rush, take your time and enjoy the project.

Here are some pictures in some different natural lighting...

Photo Jul 20, 6 22 52 PM fotor.jpg Photo Jul 20, 6 27 44 PM fotor.jpg Photo Jul 20, 6 28 26 PM fotor.jpg Photo Jul 20, 6 32 44 PM fotor.jpg

Photo Jul 20, 6 22 52 PM fotor.jpg

Photo Jul 20, 6 27 44 PM fotor.jpg

Photo Jul 20, 6 28 26 PM fotor.jpg

Photo Jul 20, 6 32 44 PM fotor.jpg

Depends on which thread you were looking at, I painted a number of fp sets back in the day, and have used a few different colors. the last set of fp armor I painted I used testors euro dark green enamel. It's a pretty good color to use if you can't get ahold of any polyscale us med green. Honesty, I like the testors better, because it's enamel, and it's so close to us med green that I can't even tell the difference.

Depends on which thread you were looking at, I painted a number of fp sets back in the day, and have used a few different colors. the last set of fp armor I painted I used testors euro dark green enamel. It's a pretty good color to use if you can't get ahold of any polyscale us med green. Honesty, I like the testors better, because it's enamel, and it's so close to us med green that I can't even tell the difference.

Ok, right on! I think it was the euro dark green. I recently just re-painted my armor trying to match the Polyscale US Med Green with my own custom mix. I use acrylics those because of how easy they are to clean.

Beautiful work the jetpack looks awesome, Ive actually started my MOW pack this week and this post will help out perfectly Ive got one question if you dont mind? Ive already primed and painted the pack silver can you point me in the right direction as which colors you used on the rest of the pack I pretty much use Humbrol paints but if I can get a good starting point that would be great. Thank you so much for the post

Beautiful work the jetpack looks awesome, Ive actually started my MOW pack this week and this post will help out perfectly Ive got one question if you dont mind? Ive already primed and painted the pack silver can you point me in the right direction as which colors you used on the rest of the pack I pretty much use Humbrol paints but if I can get a good starting point that would be great. Thank you so much for the post

slavedriver, PM sent!

This looks great. Are these kits for purchase?

Yes. They are made by Christian Hill of Man of War Studios. Most of his stuff is available through his ebay store. He also has a new website and a newsletter you can subscribe to. Top notch guy to deal with and makes great kits.

Hey theres a white dot on the right side when looking at the pack you wanna add on there....also...on the thrusters other then that....get the metal bits and youll be pretty done.

Hey theres a white dot on the right side when looking at the pack you wanna add on there....also...on the thrusters other then that....get the metal bits and youll be pretty done.

Yes, thanks 4 Real, I have had to put the completion of this Pack on hold since I recently moved. I will be finishing it shortly but still haven't decided how I want to do the white dot. Do you have an idea of how the original was done? Was it painted on? was it a sticker or decal? I really don't know much about it but was planning on using something small and round to draw the circle then just paint it in white. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread on here about sizing and placement so before I do it I will reference that as well as the reference photos in the gallery.

Yes, I have the beacon and stabilizer in resin painted like aluminum...I don't have the blue dental file yet...but what are you talking about on the thrusters? I looked at tons and tons of reference pictures and I'm not sure what you are saying needs to be done to them yet.

Thanks.

Ahh I meant to finish that sentence lol!

On the thrusters....I don't think you want to mess with it...but the brown below the indentions should be kinda like a thin coat where it was almost a wash....really you could take like 2000 grit wet sand paper to get it that way....

And the Dot...I always paint it on. you might could use a vinyl decal even.

Dental file...check out toolguys shapeways dental file....I got one here for a customer and its pretty close to the real deal...and easy to get.

Ahh I meant to finish that sentence lol!

On the thrusters....I don't think you want to mess with it...but the brown below the indentions should be kinda like a thin coat where it was almost a wash....really you could take like 2000 grit wet sand paper to get it that way....

And the Dot...I always paint it on. you might could use a vinyl decal even.

Dental file...check out toolguys shapeways dental file....I got one here for a customer and its pretty close to the real deal...and easy to get.

*in my best yoda impression* YES! to Fett4Real you listen!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back