ROTJ Jet Pack step by step

here you go

Spideyfett said:
That's Coming along great J...(y)

Can you show some pics of the bottom?? :)

IMG_3013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the lack of updates

I am in the middle of moving to a new house

I am hoping to get back at work on this project next week!!

Looks great DM!

Gotta question: How do you apply the brush strokes so evenly? As in (at least in the pics) I can't tell that the silver was applied with a brush. It's so even that it looks as if it was airbrushed or spray painted. That is what has kept me away from topical in the past: You can tell my brush strokes are brush strokes. Should I use thinner and thin the paint before applying it?

Don't load your brush up with paint. Use a smaller brush, 20/0 or 10/0. I usually clean my brush every 10-15 minutes, and shake the paint then.

Buckeye_01 said:
Don't load your brush up with paint. Use a smaller brush, 20/0 or 10/0. I usually clean my brush every 10-15 minutes, and shake the paint then.

Great tips Buckeye! That's pretty much how I do my topical also (though with a slightly larger brush.)
I use more of a dabbing motion with the brush, not "strokes" per se.
Cleaning the brush and shaking the paint are musts!! (y)

I am finally in my new house so I will get back to work on this project this weekend!!

I cant wait to see this pack done, its looking killer DM. Your display is going be the bomb... looking mighty fine next to your JB Vader! :)

wow ! how did I miss this thread ! so many threads to archive, so LITTLE time !

ShireFolk said:
Looks great DM!

Gotta question: How do you apply the brush strokes so evenly? As in (at least in the pics) I can't tell that the silver was applied with a brush. It's so even that it looks as if it was airbrushed or spray painted. That is what has kept me away from topical in the past: You can tell my brush strokes are brush strokes. Should I use thinner and thin the paint before applying it?

here is what i do to get rid of brush strokes... (with acrylic paints)

let the first layer dry till its a bit tacky... then apply a second layer with a really watered down mixture of the same colour. something like 9:1 ratio. This seems to work on small details.

On larger areas you might want to try a second layer paint 90 degrees from the first layers brush strokes or wetsand the area and apply a layer again.

Beautiful work DarthMiller...

This place is just oozing with talent and wannabe Bounty Hunters :)

finally some updates for ya

base color white applied to rocket and thrusters
testors chrome applied to rocket tip
mist with reefer gray around base of rocket
mist with black to darken up a bit

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

more work on the rocket

mist with rock island maroon
taped off black stripe at base of rocket
painted bottom of rocket rock island maroon

one thing to note..this entire jet pack is topical.....however after misting the top of the rocket with rock island maroon I used painters tape and to remove some paint to create damage look. the paint just peels right off of the TESTORS chrome and it really came out nice.

I am lovin' these updates dude! Your totaly rockin' that jet pack!!! Cant wait to see it in person next weekend.

thanks bro

I tryin to get my stuff done by next weekend!!..just need to finish my thrusters, my FP cod and backplate and then I will be about 95% done with my FETT!!!!

evan4218 said:
I am lovin' these updates dude! Your totaly rockin' that jet pack!!! Cant wait to see it in person next weekend.

more updates

thrusters taped off

rocket painted with wisconsin central maroon- I used tape to remove the red for damage look.

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back