Jetpack Rotj Help

What confuses me is didn't they have a couple of production used jetpacks, close up, stunt etc. How do u guys know which one or both was used in the S.E cos i dont have a clue. You guys are far more knowledgeable than me, I'd appreciate you sharing some of your resource info if you have the time. Thanks.

What confuses me is didn't they have a couple of production used jetpacks, close up, stunt etc. How do u guys know which one or both was used in the S.E cos i dont have a clue. You guys are far more knowledgeable than me, I'd appreciate you sharing some of your resource info if you have the time. Thanks.
I'm not an expert on this, but its a little complicated with the SE as there was really only a few shots that were filmed for that.
It really depends what you are after but if you are looking to do a SE costume for 501, they base their version off of the "Promo photoshoot" costume which you can find reference here.

I'm fairly certain that it's the same jetpack as one of the ROTJ hero jetpacks which can be seen in the 2nd half of this album (starting on bottom of page 2) freshly painted:

Lastly, you can see modern up close reference of this jetpack in the star wars celebration IV gallery. So this would have been after SE filming, with some repairs and likely additional damage from it's touring journey.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these above examples are all the same physical jetpack just in different states throughout the years. I'm pretty new to the Fett stuff, but reminds me of my 2nd love of Ghostbusters where they used the same physical hero proton packs for Ghostbusters 1 and 2, so while they are still hanging around today there's very limited reference of the original 1984 condition because they were used so heavily, repaired many times and changed up a bit :)

Wasn't the jetpack that was used for the ROTJ SE shots the damaged one? If you wanna get literal and exact, heh.
starwarsVI_0668.jpg

Yea from what I understand there was a few different ones used for filming and for the promo shots. Depends what you want to replicate, and what you are going for. If you want a 501 SE costume, they require the photoshoot jetpack.

While there are technically two sub-versions of the ROTJ SE suit, on-screen vs. Promo, the on-screen suit was never worn in its entirety and was missing many key aspects. The complete SE suit was only ever worn in the promotional photo shoots taken circa 1997, to promote the Special Edition movies and thus is the only acceptable version for approval.

I'm not an expert on this, but its a little complicated with the SE as there was really only a few shots that were filmed for that.
It really depends what you are after but if you are looking to do a SE costume for 501, they base their version off of the "Promo photoshoot" costume which you can find reference here.

I'm fairly certain that it's the same jetpack as one of the ROTJ hero jetpacks which can be seen in the 2nd half of this album (starting on bottom of page 2) freshly painted:

Lastly, you can see modern up close reference of this jetpack in the star wars celebration IV gallery. So this would have been after SE filming, with some repairs and likely additional damage from it's touring journey.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these above examples are all the same physical jetpack just in different states throughout the years. I'm pretty new to the Fett stuff, but reminds me of my 2nd love of Ghostbusters where they used the same physical hero proton packs for Ghostbusters 1 and 2, so while they are still hanging around today there's very limited reference of the original 1984 condition because they were used so heavily, repaired many times and changed up a bit :)
Thanks for the info

Wasn't the jetpack that was used for the ROTJ SE shots the damaged one? If you wanna get literal and exact, heh.
View attachment 240601
I did actually notice that watching it on blue ray one day. Plus on the skiff scene it's got a hole in it before Han hits it and sends him flying into the barge but this doesn't look like the one they used for the tour exhibition unless repaired and repainted for S.E. ?

Attachments

• 20220727_231145.jpg
    20220727_231145.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 32083747994_197eae55cb_o.jpg
    32083747994_197eae55cb_o.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 24
I've been burning my eyes looking at jetpack reference in preparation to paint my ROTJ SE, and it took me long enough to realize the left tank slipping down on the SE Promo tank. I couldn't understand why the weathering/chipping looked so different to the Star Wars Celebration IV photos on that area, but I guess it was just hiding!

Also interesting thing I noticed, the top left red fuel tank cap appears to have been rotated sometime between the SE photoshoot and the display of the pack. You can see the white damage has shifted over. Possibly when they "repaired" the sunken fuel tank?
View attachment 240600

All in all it's been incredibly tough for me as well to differentiate what damage is silver and what damage is white, I feel almost colorblind sometimes lol Neo Fett's recommendation of close up reference and comparing to the fresh ROTJ paintjob has helped.
You can even see it slipped out at the bottom in ROTJ Promo shots. Guess glue wasn't as good in the 70s/80s...
1706725575093.png

You get pretty good at seeing the difference when you look at them enough. Since everything was hand painted everything as unique damage patterns. ROTJ Hero was used for SE, compare the damage pattern on the main blue strip in the middle. SE has a lot more damage from time, but you still have the basic identical chipping under all that.

ROTJ hero also has the rivets on the white part. You can also compare the underside of the packs as they all have slightly different setups for ports or no ports at all or even missing ports depending on the time the photo was taken. The ROTJ stunts were also painted later, so they have different shades of paint.

Some shots, but the SE promo shots and Jabba scene were ROTJ Hero. They also used this pack on set of ROTJ at the wrong times, so maybe they were trying to ad hear to their wrong continuity
I did actually notice that watching it on blue ray one day. Plus on the skiff scene it's got a hole in it before Han hits it and sends him flying into the barge but this doesn't look like the one they used for the tour exhibition unless repaired and repainted for S.E. ?
The damaged packed wasn't repaired, it's still in the archives. The one you pictured is ROTJ Hero.

Right, but how many jetpacks did they make? Not even counting the stunt ones I mean. The PP2 is in a private collection, but there was also the PP1, which I'm unaware of where that ended up. Was it repainted or are the ESB and ROTJ jetpacks entirely separate? Was the damaged ROTJ jetpack essentially a stunt verson as well or a full hero prop?

Right, but how many jetpacks did they make? Not even counting the stunt ones I mean. The PP2 is in a private collection, but there was also the PP1, which I'm unaware of where that ended up. Was it repainted or are the ESB and ROTJ jetpacks entirely separate? Was the damaged ROTJ jetpack essentially a stunt verson as well or a full hero prop?
AFIK here are the jetpacks made:

ST/PP1/PP3
PP2 (now in private collection)
ROTJ Hero/SE
ROTJ Stunt (pictured in "Star Wars the Exhibition")
ESB (possibly repainted to a ROTJ stunt since it's unaccounted for in the archives)
Damaged ROTJ
Rubber/foam ROTJ for stunts (possibly 2 made)

Some shots, but the SE promo shots and Jabba scene were ROTJ Hero.
Right, I looked into this a bit more between my posts and only just learned it wasn't even Bies for the 'walking behind Jabba' shot during the musical number, so they didn't even shoot those on the same day. Makes sense the jetpacks are different since it seems like they were just grabbing whatever.

ST/PP1/PP3
ROTJ Hero/SE
ESB (possibly repainted to a ROTJ stunt since it's unaccounted for in the archives)
Damaged ROTJ
Thank you.
I think it was Rafalfett who did a breakdown on the different promo suits (which used the Sandy helmets and sometimes the PP1), and there was one that was using the Sandy helmet and apparently also a "Sandy" jetpack?
Suit Promo 4.jpg

The ROTJ and PP1 packs were also listed for other versions, so I assume the ROTJ paintjob was one of the original ones done during the preproduction for ESB.

ST/PP1/PP3
ROTJ Hero/SE
Damaged ROTJ
I can't take credit for these pics but as you can see its in a pretty sorry state. I'm presuming it's the Boba Fett bouncing off the barge scene jetpack.

Attachments

• 215.JPG
    215.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 224408-8852c0a06b33f8ca5c7611a0dd3f4f57.jpg
    224408-8852c0a06b33f8ca5c7611a0dd3f4f57.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 224410-bf2945ca59b9162b6f0b8a55daa49579.jpg
    224410-bf2945ca59b9162b6f0b8a55daa49579.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 224416-23b589c6f9c4225d8adefd619948f7c3.jpg
    224416-23b589c6f9c4225d8adefd619948f7c3.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 20
  • 224418-f14c539d4f67b6a162af082415b1920e.jpg
    224418-f14c539d4f67b6a162af082415b1920e.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 224419-7c103d34f824babdd45f93bdf2553ec1.jpg
    224419-7c103d34f824babdd45f93bdf2553ec1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 224409-004d689c7386763f80859f04f302d8a6.jpg
    224409-004d689c7386763f80859f04f302d8a6.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 24
Thank you.
I think it was Rafalfett who did a breakdown on the different promo suits (which used the Sandy helmets and sometimes the PP1), and there was one that was using the Sandy helmet and apparently also a "Sandy" jetpack?
View attachment 240609

The ROTJ and PP1 packs were also listed for other versions, so I assume the ROTJ paintjob was one of the original ones done during the preproduction for ESB.

The Sandy pack is what I was calling ROTJ stunt, didn't realize it was painted all the way back by Day Dream which means Sandy, ROTJ, and PP2 were painted togher. Kinda hard to tell if that really is the same one but the darkness of the tank seems to suggest it. So that means PP1 painted first, ESB painted probably shortly after Sandy/ROTJ/PP2.

The Sandy pack is what I was calling ROTJ stunt, didn't realize it was painted all the way back by Day Dream which means Sandy, ROTJ, and PP2 were painted togher. Kinda hard to tell if that really is the same one but the darkness of the tank seems to suggest it. So that means PP1 painted first, ESB painted probably shortly after Sandy/ROTJ/PP2.
Ah, that makes sense.
So I'm guessing Johnston did the PP1 suit, then the Day Dream crew replicated that and the newly-decided dent over the slice for their suits.

Ah, that makes sense.
So I'm guessing Johnston did the PP1 suit, then the Day Dream crew replicated that and the newly-decided dent over the slice for their suits.
Yup, Joe did ST, PP1, and PP3 which PP3 implies he also did ESB but we have no proof. Mario at Day Dream did PP2, Sandy, and ROTJ helmet/jetpack. The ROTJ armor was painted by an unknown artist at ILM later on who also painted over ESB to do so. However PP2 right gauntlet was used for some SE and ROTJ Stunt shots.

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back