Jet Pack MOW Jetpack Repaint

Thanks. I’ve been using Rustoleum bright aluminum as a base because it gives a nice finish. Unfortunately, the nice finish doesn’t like to be covered by other paint. I knew better, but like I said I was being stubborn and did it anyway hoping I could get away with it. There is just too much masking involved in the ROTJ jetpack due to the different colors and it just opens it up to more opportunities for paint peeling when removing the tape. I was even using the delicate surfaces tape but it didn’t seem to make a difference.
I am happy with the colors. I was a little skeptical about the blue, but Miggs and I agree that it is closer to the blue that was used. He was saying that people have been using the darker royal blue for so long now that it has just been accepted as correct.
Honestly, is the jetpack even royal blue? I mean, it looks like it at times, but I've always felt it looks much more muted and even sometimes looks like there's a little green in there, like it's more of a teal.

Jetpack looks fantastic! Silver paint, I've found, also gives me issues depending on the brand in regards to peel.
Agreed, the silver does looks great! My go to has always been Tamiya's X-11...
1694702357821.png

Whether I airbrush it on or even topically apply with a brush, the results have always been great! But what ShortFuse went with, looks great as well!

I am happy with the colors. I was a little skeptical about the blue, but Miggs and I agree that it is closer to the blue that was used. He was saying that people have been using the darker royal blue for so long now that it has just been accepted as correct.
Honestly, is the jetpack even royal blue? I mean, it looks like it at times, but I've always felt it looks much more muted and even sometimes looks like there's a little green in there, like it's more of a teal.
For the Blue part of the Jetpack, admittedly I also fell on that band wagon too and went Royal Blue. This stemmed from the 501st colors that were listed...
1694702930055.png

For my first 3D printed Jetpack, I went with Humbrol Matte Enamel 104. Which they call "Oxford Blue".
1694703883215.png

I think I got this from another member on here that said it worked well for him, and I can recall seeing his pics and thought the same. But as a novice at airbrushing, little did I know what a major pain it is spraying enamel paints. But it looked like what I saw, and I was happy with it. Having said that, when I painted up my Boba Maker Jetpack I wanted to change that paint up. It just so happened that Tamiya has a paint that they actually call "Royal Blue" and it's paint number is X-3.
1694704146541.png

Obviously, as we mature in this Fett Game, I've noticed that we all start to have different perceptions of what we see when it comes to the reference pics. But I'm also in agreeance in that the Royal Blue should be a bit more muted, but without mixing colors (Cause I think it is safe to say that everyone hates mixing) I think it is difficult in finding a color you can use right out of the can/bottle.

Sorry, long winded, but in short. A helluva job that Shortfuse is doing on his Jetpack!
:cool: (y)

-Iron

And then presumably the same JP, we got Glen Randall sporting this one that shows it being a darker blue - at least to my eyes....
1694706004542.png

And then I also saw this one - but not sure if it is a screen used kit - but also darker blue....
1694706458728.png

1694706761671.png

(I still have this magazine too!)

...and in some screen grabs you see this.
1694706455805.png

1694706698019.png

Which shows it being that darker blue again.
There is also this picture of another one of the several packs that were used that looks like a darker blue, but I think it has a lot to do with the lack of lighting.
But like you said...I also think that a lot of this is due to the lighting that they used on the sets as well as the cameras being used too which may have thrown off the saturation of those colors too.

If only we could go back to 1981/1982 when it was being shot and filmed....
Back to the future.gif

-Iron

Last edited:
I think I got this from another member on here that said it worked well for him, and I can recall seeing his pics and thought the same. But as a novice at airbrushing, little did I know what a major pain it is spraying enamel paints. But it looked like what I saw, and I was happy with it. Having said that, when I painted up my Boba Maker Jetpack I wanted to change that paint up. It just so happened that Tamiya has a paint that they actually call "Royal Blue" and it's paint number is X-3.
View attachment 238491
That is what I was planning on using for the blue before Miggs talked me out of it. ;)

Irongladiator, The picture of the cover from the Boba Fett Magazine is of a model of Boba Fett that was built, that is not the actual jetpack.

As you guys have both said though, lighting I believe does play a role in it. I usually always think of this picture when talking about the blue...
Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Skiff-02.jpg

Pretty sure this isn't stunt Boba (welcome to be wrong there) but the blue of the pack looks very muted there (in full sun) and I wouldn't call that color royal blue at all.

Irongladiator, The picture of the cover from the Boba Fett Magazine is of a model of Boba Fett that was built, that is not the actual jetpack.

As you guys have both said though, lighting I believe does play a role in it. I usually always think of this picture when talking about the blue...
View attachment 238507

Pretty sure this isn't stunt Boba (welcome to be wrong there) but the blue of the pack looks very muted there (in full sun) and I wouldn't call that color royal blue at all.
I've seen that pic many times, but I just now noticed that the flak vest has opened up and is hanging open, with the flap showing to the right of the cape. :D

Dude, that looks awesome! Super job on the paint and weathering! I can only hope my MOW comes out that nice. That's a shame about your center connecter situation.
My "damaged" MOW kit didn't even have the rear greebly pocket. It was just flat there. I had to make it from scratch

Attachments

• 20230917_181445.jpg
    20230917_181445.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 62
This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back