need advice on armor attachment

I think this is a great thread to give me some opinions on what to use to attach armor.
However, since I'm leaning towards magnets, what would be the best type of magnets in order to attach armor?

Where so you begin on the nut and bolt method? Vest or armor? how do you ensure proper location/mating of both?

I used JB Weld to secure the bolts to the armor, then attached the armor to the vest using magnets, to hold the end of the bolt pinched to the flak vest fabric so I could adjust the position of the armor pieces on the vest until I was satisfied. I then used duct tape to cover and secure the magnets on the vest so they wouldn't drift, and then marked the spots where the magnets were taped to punch the grommets through the vest.

I've trooped at least 22 times in the past year and had ZERO issues with using magnets. I use VERY strong rare earth magnets that are used on both sides of the armor (doubling the strength of the magnetic attraction). They simply do NOT move unless I want them to. This has some advantages as I can easily take armor pieces off without major surgery involved in the outfit. It also gives a little give in the armor when bending or twisting that wouldn't be there otherwise. This ultimately protects the armor from damage.

Regarding the jetpack harness...I use an aluminum frame from KC7...so I don't have those problems. Sometimes my shoulder bell magnets fold over in storage to my chest magnets...but that takes 2 seconds to pull apart when putting on the armor..

I've trooped at least 22 times in the past year and had ZERO issues with using magnets. I use VERY strong rare earth magnets that are used on both sides of the armor (doubling the strength of the magnetic attraction). They simply do NOT move unless I want them to. This has some advantages as I can easily take armor pieces off without major surgery involved in the outfit. It also gives a little give in the armor when bending or twisting that wouldn't be there otherwise. This ultimately protects the armor from damage.

Regarding the jetpack harness...I use an aluminum frame from KC7...so I don't have those problems. Sometimes my shoulder bell magnets fold over in storage to my chest magnets...but that takes 2 seconds to pull apart when putting on the armor..
how did you fix magnets on the vest? did you glue the magnets on the vest ?

--- Armor --------------
Glue magnet to armor.
--- Vest -----------------
[ for extra hold] .... slip other magnet to this side so it attracts to the glued magnet on armor, or
[ for good enuff hold] just use a piece of metal (flat strip from home depot, hardware store) on this side so the armor won't move on you
--- You ------------------

woaa
but mangnets and gorilla tape on collar too??
JBWeld for the thin rare-earth magnets on the armor. Gorilla tape on the magnets attached via gorilla tape behind the vest. I have 5 magnets on the collar attached this way. It gives a little give which is awesome when putting on the back armor plate but easily snaps back into place. Works wonders...its also easy to fix/adjust in the field if need be, but I haven't touched mine since I did it. You need the metal reinforcements around the center chest area where the diamond is...but everything else is pretty simple.

JBWeld for the thin rare-earth magnets on the armor. Gorilla tape on the magnets attached via gorilla tape behind the vest. I have 5 magnets on the collar attached this way. It gives a little give which is awesome when putting on the back armor plate but easily snaps back into place. Works wonders...its also easy to fix/adjust in the field if need be, but I haven't touched mine since I did it. You need the metal reinforcements around the center chest area where the diamond is...but everything else is pretty simple.

I like the snap method. Basically what I did was put the snaps on the plates with jb weld then align them up on the vest in the correct position and place pins at all points on the vest. next I snapped the other end of the snaps to the plates put hot glue on them and pressed them on the vest. I then used a butter knife to pop the snaps leaving them on the vest . checked the alignment a few times. the glue could be pealed off to make an adjustment. once alignment was perfect I used a red hot nail to make a hole through the snap then hammered the head of the snap on.

IMG_1255.JPG

I've been trooping my Boba for over 16 years now, and am on my second vest, and both vests I used the velcro method and haven't had any big issues with it. I used the industrial sticky back velcro on the armor plates, and the opposite side of that sticky back velcro I backed with contact cement and attached onto the vest. I had to add a few snaps - inside top edge of left chest plate, closest to chest light unit, because the light unit causes that corner of the vest to pop up. Also the very outside of the long edge of the ab section to keep it more flush against the vest. Other than that, countless troops with no problems.

I do like seeing the other methods (the magnets being the newest style), and the original grommet idea I never was fond of internal bolts hitting me right against my collar bone for my collar armor.

I would totally suggest bolts and grommets. I've done snaps on my trash can armor, and nothing I use will keep the snaps on long term. Maybe they'd work better on Fiberglass armor, but on trash can, snaps are a nightmare.

An easy way for placement. Get the bolts attached to the armor somehow on the corners etc. Then put a little permanent marker, or crayon, on the end of the bolt. Find where you'd want it on the vest, and push. The crayon or marker on the end of the bolt will leave a mark where to put the grommet.

The bigger the grommet you are willing to use, the less exact you need to be. Just make sure you glue the bolts onto the armor a little ways in from the edge to make sure the grommet isn't seen above/below the armor when in place.

Lots of great info here. The best solution really needs to relate to your objectives. If you want solid connections then bolts n grommets are the go. If you want adjustability then a combination of Velcro and magnets are your best bet. Being your first vest, adjustability might be your priority. You'll find that the tension in your harness will also affect the gap between your neck and chest armour as the backplate moves slightly. Just a pointer for potential gaps etc. Have fun!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back