MOW ESB Jetpack - Completed

Level3Fett

Hunter
I have gotten to a point on construction and paint, where I can call the jet pack complete...
A beautiful cast by Christian....
Here are a few "highlights"
20160621_165941[1].jpg20160713_180927[1].jpg

Went ahead and used bolts and nuts to attach rocket.
20160717_150825[1].jpg20160717_153505[1].jpg
Tried to keep it as simple as possible....
20160717_153450[1].jpg20160717_153512[1].jpg
Thrusters, done with bungee. Really liking this method.
20160716_174815[1].jpg20160716_174643[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Primer, and base layer
20160717_190051[1].jpg20160719_174102[1].jpg
Cheating....
20160719_173743[1].jpg20160719_173840[1].jpg
Color! and a messy room :)
20160722_174301[1].jpg20160723_153342[1].jpg
Colors are spruce green, olive green, and flat black misted together while wet.

These things are not easy...you guys who take these on as commissions, kudos to you.

Almost forgot the white dot.... :)
20160805_184626.jpg

Hooks and Clips...Need to revisit the back side at some point to clean it up a bit...
20160822_073656.jpg

Flash
20160806_191315.jpg
No flash
20160806_191340.jpg

Thank you to All who gave me advice and assistance in doing this.

KC

Yea the ESB pack is more difficult than ya think lol. Some folks just paint it green with red details and the big silver area in the middle and call it a day. there is SO much more to it than that...and you did a killer job on this man, nice work!

Thank you Lou.

I appreciate your positive advice and guidance in getting me started...A little, "you can do it", never hurt anyone :)

Yea the ESB pack is more difficult than ya think lol. Some folks just paint it green with red details and the big silver area in the middle and call it a day. there is SO much more to it than that...and you did a killer job on this man, nice work!

This was my thinking going into my first paint up because in the film you can't really see too much detail.......then I pulled up the reference photos and was excited because I honestly thought it was going to be the most bland part about the ESB suit. Boy was I wrong!

Thanks man. I definitely stole some ideas from your build.
Highly recommend the bungee method. I have zero doubt I would have broken something with a "hard" attachment by now.

Glad to be of assistance! Question: how did you get the hooks in the thrusters? Did they just screw in? Did you drill a hole then screw it in? Did you end up using glue, jb weld, or some kind of adhesive? I want to try this method because it seems very versatile! Until I completely deck my jetpack out and make it 100% functional, propulsion and all, I think this is the route I would like to go ;)

Awesome! :)

Once I found "center", I used a center punch (not sure how I went all years without one) to get started. I went slightly smaller than the od' of the hook with my bit, and screwed it in. No jb weld or anything...It seems very solid given that I was careful with sizing...I didn't read your thread well enough, and made my hole up top, in the rocket, a bit larger than I needed too. I did not get the benefit of being able to "screw" the rocket base into the main pack as you did...

An added benefit with the bungee, is that as the thrusters "turn", they slightly increase tension, and do not necessarily want to return to vertical.

Glad to be of assistance! Question: how did you get the hooks in the thrusters? Did they just screw in? Did you drill a hole then screw it in? Did you end up using glue, jb weld, or some kind of adhesive? I want to try this method because it seems very versatile! Until I completely deck my jetpack out and make it 100% functional, propulsion and all, I think this is the route I would like to go ;)

Awesome! :)

Once I found "center", I used a center punch (not sure how I went all years without one) to get started. I went slightly smaller than the od' of the hook with my bit, and screwed it in. No jb weld or anything...It seems very solid given that I was careful with sizing...I didn't read your thread well enough, and made my hole up top, in the rocket, a bit larger than I needed too. I did not get the benefit of being able to "screw" the rocket base into the main pack as you did...

An added benefit with the bungee, is that as the thrusters "turn", they slightly increase tension, and do not necessarily want to return to vertical.

Ok very cool! That's pretty much how I imagined you did it. I purchased the parts necessary and am converting mine over to this technique over the weekend. Thanks for sharing this! I have never seen someone do it this way and with so much information out there I rely on others and sometimes I fail to use common sense and critical thinking to accomplish an objective. This makes perfect sense for what I want right now...simplicity and versatility. With the PVC method I would eventually have to glue the thrusters into the PVC Tubes making it impossible to take apart and put back together easily. Eventually I will probably go back to the PVC Method...I would like to hook up a small fog machine and let the fog run through the PVC tubes and out of the thrusters...but that's in the not so near future. Looking into other ways of having smoke or fog or something like the Super Trooper had come out of the thrusters. Thanks Again!

Any time...
Gotta give a shout out to the forum, and Armydad and DeathProof among other trailblazers for this idea :cheers

Ok very cool! That's pretty much how I imagined you did it. I purchased the parts necessary and am converting mine over to this technique over the weekend. Thanks for sharing this! I have never seen someone do it this way and with so much information out there I rely on others and sometimes I fail to use common sense and critical thinking to accomplish an objective. This makes perfect sense for what I want right now...simplicity and versatility. With the PVC method I would eventually have to glue the thrusters into the PVC Tubes making it impossible to take apart and put back together easily. Eventually I will probably go back to the PVC Method...I would like to hook up a small fog machine and let the fog run through the PVC tubes and out of the thrusters...but that's in the not so near future. Looking into other ways of having smoke or fog or something like the Super Trooper had come out of the thrusters. Thanks Again!

Yeah, the bungee method is great for storing the jetpack in a job box. Makes life a lot easier :)

If you're interested in smoke, I've got s video showing how I did it.

It's a bummer, since earlier in the year MrRCSound doesn't seem to be offering that smoke generator any longer (@DeathProof that is where you got yours, right?). The generator and the tubing supplies he used to have on his page are missing, and the link from his home page goes no where. I found this out going to the page to add my mod for the jetpack to his testimonials. I wrote to him about a month ago (using the site's Contact page) but got no reply. A shame as that generator is very nice (thanks to DeathProofs original thread, I managed to get one when they were still available). Maybe he's just on vacation (hoping :().

dv8r

That's right. I got my stuff from MrRCSound. I just recently spoke with him (Andrew) about a replacement fog juice container as I misplaced mine and needed to know the correct size and mixture. So he's around, but I know he can be busy. I email him at: mrrcflying@mrrcsound.com. He didn't get my first email, so keep trying.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back