Vult's ESB Boba

Vultana

Hunter
I just realized I never posted this on TDH, but in May of this year I completed my ESB Boba Fett. I owe a lot of people here on this forum credit for providing their parts and services so here I go:

Helmet: ASOK Budget CC/ Painted by AFFO$ / JC27 light kit

Vest / Neck Seal: Bat Ninja
Flight Suit: Arkady
Chest / Back Armor: RKD / Imperial Outpost Armory- painted by 22ssplit
Cod/ Kidney / Knees: Bobamaker - painted by 22ssplit
Gauntlets: FP2 kit- assembled and painted by 22ssplit
Jet Pack: Fettseven, assembled and painted myself
Jet pack Frame: BBF Replica's
Divers Buckle: Original US Diver found part
Ammo Belt & blaster sling: 99 cent taco
Girth belt: ManofWar Studios 2014
Boots: Manofwar Studios 2014
Cape & Wookie Braids: Woodman
Holster: Nemrod (FP Cast I believe?)
Blaster: Sidewinder with Electronics
Shin tools: Patterson found parts and cast replica parts
Gloves: Saint Nasty
Fettronics ESB chest display
Darkside light beacon.

Ok, here we go! Like all builds this one started from very humble beginings. I ordered and received my flight suit from Carole (Arkady on TDH) and a poorly painted ESB ASOK. I tried to strip the paint job off and start over but ended up ruining the CC finish so I had to purchase a new ASOK budget Boba CC. I have 3 of these helmets and love them all because I have a fat head and they just fit me good.
smile.png

IMG_2175_zpsf52dbb35.jpg

New helmet!

IMG_2289_zpsde96e06f.jpg

ASOK Helmet

I knew right away that I wanted this helmet to be as perfect as possible and felt that skill still eluded me so I sought out AFFO$ on TDH to paint it for me. I was absolutely thrilled with what he delivered back to me:

1466170_10202291601189863_1342670576_n.jpg

FettSeven Jet Pack

I have been lugging my MOW Jetpack around for 2 years and I love it, but I also wanted to check out the Fettseven fiberglass one which is smaller/ lighter. Here is a little side by side comparison to see the difference for yourself.

EBBCC1D1-84FA-408D-AD85-33ABC6ECD625-1544-0000023427AAFE7D_zps7840bdfc.jpg

All-in-all I really enjoyed working on the Fettseven jetpack and it is much lighter. Arguments could be made that it might look too small on really large Fett's, but I have seen smaller ones in use for sure.

This was the first project I used the Humbrol paints and airbrush on. I have to admit that I absolutely LOVED IT!

Base green
F1F73CA0-11A5-4CBD-BE79-52D7BEF540AF_zpsy33lilxd.jpg

2C8047C3-8427-42C9-8C5C-9221B23035DF_zpsbivfbedh.jpg

IMG_2691_zpsc883e0d4.jpg

IMG_2695_zps00bcfeda.jpg

Airbrush work complete

IMG_2687_zpsaeede22d.jpg

Installing the Dental expander & Darkside Light Beacon

7800E45A-880E-448D-825F-AC7FDF7C9C9A_zpsqwznlo0w.jpg

3351FD07-5F83-49C9-834D-E1EA9FE92992_zpslwkejre5.jpg

IMG_2698_zpsfa742fe1.jpg

IMG_2740_zpsd74b28ff.jpg

weathering by hand using Windex/ Acrylics

IMG_2748_zps0cdfedb7.jpg

Note: I found a single wrap of black electrical tape around the base of the rocket assembly is perfect to hold it in tight without moving around yet easy to remove for transport.

IMG_2746_zps960b9a6a.jpg

Hand Painted details & Complete!
IMG_2726_zpse29b9480.jpg

Also pictured is my Sidewinder blaster with 99 cent Taco sling and a real scope, BBF Replica's harness with the left side replaced by a real vintage US Divers belt/ buckle.

2014 MOW Boots
Hand painted the black pane, then airbrushed on the weathering. Followed up with hand weathering mix of Windex and black acrylic paint.
D96D4661-1B1D-48E5-818F-03FC5F8A2137_zpspbi4xzu7.jpg

The Armor

I love Imperial Outpost Armory, so I started out with a full order of RKD's but in the 2 years this project sat I picked up a couple other parts from FP (guantlets) and Bobamaker (knee, kidnet, cod) that I decided to use instead due to how well they fit me and the fact they were mostly finished.
smile.png

A time for a little honesty here- although I was busy with work, family, moving into a new house and trooping I did go through a big dry spell where I wasn't motivated to get into my workshop and work on this because I was having too much fun playing video games. I literally couldn't force myself to get started again so I needed help. I watched a lot of WIP threads go on and saw some really good talent on TDH. I even contacted david Ellis (22ssplit) about 9 months ago to paint, but backed out because I thought I was going ot do it... which I didn't of course, lol. I finally decided to go ahead and commision it to him which would force me to work on my Jet Pack and get this build finished (which it did!). I was ery happy with the work he did on it and I highly recommend his work to anyone. I added a few scrapes and detail work then sealed it all in a nice dull coat.

IMG_2725_zpscf563d15.jpg

I fit the pieces and connected with bolts

IMG_2724_zps076980e9.jpg

IMG_2731_zpsdd95ca64.jpg

A test fit revealed I had a huge "hump back" going so I had to trim and heat gun it back into normality.

IMG_0363_zpsd1d9379f.jpg

IMG_2735_zpsb633b352.jpg

IMG_2734_zps56f3a1a5.jpg

IMG_2727_zps1188f610.jpg

I worked out a hose attachment using a wire, black cloth, and some 5 minute Epoxy. I won't take credit for the idea since I most likely saw it in a WIP thread somewhere.

IMG_2743_zps03d3a9f5.jpg

IMG_2741_zpsae6c4611.jpg

Added even more weathering & grime...

IMG_2749_zps8a010955.jpg

IMG_2750_zps55d01c79.jpg

Softparts

I am so very lucky to have my wife. Not only is she a complete Star Wars nerd (like me), but she is also a very good seamstress and has years of experience (before we met) doing SCA costumes. She was very helpfull in attaching my Bat Ninja neck seal to my flightsuit, made me some killer button holes for my vest, and sewed on all my velcro for my armor attachment. I have never done armor attachment with velcro before and must say that I like it a lot better than nuts & bolts like my other costumes.

IMG_0350_zpsa7928bf9.jpg

96050952-804C-4C12-8E51-1F031840BE3A_zpsidxtqrjd.jpg

A8B73D83-BC26-44C1-ADED-8467DD6C217F_zpsgiyzdpa6.jpg

I cut, died, and snapped/ velcro'd the knee bands and Boba-thong.
IMG_2745_zps6f050a44.jpg

Final weathering and getting it ready for submission

Star Wars is a dirty universe and I like my costumes to look it.

Helmet
Iattached the RF with the JC27 light kit to the stalk by drilling and epoxying 2 bolts into the stalk, then drilling holes in the bottom of the RF and epoxying it in there. I also applied some more weathering to the RF, stalk, and helmet to get it just the way I wanted it.

IMG_2755_zps7e4e88cc.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsd02b753f.jpg

IMG_2759_zps79c52c0c.jpg

http://s329.photobucket.com/user/hanka54/media/Boba Build/IMG_2757_zpsd02b753f.jpg.html

Flight Suit

I used a combination of Dark grey and Black Humbrols, some black acrylic, and even a little rattle can in the process of getting the flight suit the way I wanted it. I know the flash can hide it or wash it out so I had my wife capture how it looks up close in this image.

IMG_4328_zps8aa94387.jpg

Pictures for submission

Like most of you, I tried to make my GML's job approving this as easy as possible so I tried to follow / duplicate the pictures in the CRL to the best of my ability. I tried to have my ties on the back of my girth and how the jetpack sits on the frame to be as close as possible in the photo shoot. I bought my wife a green screen kit last year and it sure has come in handy (since it also came with black and white back drops) for submission pics. We chose to use the all white background and ensure nothing else was in the frame except the costume for review. I also left the optional items (EE3 & Pulce 40) out of the shots. I have a nice Pulce 40 that I am working on, but it isn't finished yet. Also, my wife is still learning how to use her overly complicated camera and we have some issues to work on to get the focus/ lighting perfect, but it was good enough and I only had to do one photoshoot to get approved.

Excuse the cheesy smile ( I was still getting use to the idea of finally being Boba Fett)
smile.png

IMG_4332_zpsd094df1f.jpg

IMG_4333_zps7f4b81a9.jpg

IMG_4334_zpsffbf68ed.jpg

IMG_4337_zps16b8561a.jpg

IMG_4339_zps55168794.jpg

IMG_4341_zps16f08cbc.jpg

APPROVED ON 7 MAY 2014- Woot!

Wow, that turned out incredibly well! Outstanding job, Vult!

On a related note, I would also like to vouch for Dave Ellis (22ssplit) and his painting talents. I recently commissioned him to paint my armor and I don't think it could have turned out much better. Super nice guy with great communication along the way!

I am not 100% sure if I used Humbrol #78- Matte Olive Drab or Humbrol #117 Matte Green. I only have 2 tins of the #78 left and 5 of the #117 so I am leaning toward saying I used #78, but I will have to check all my old emails to see how much I purchased of each. The jetpack was the only thing I ended up painting myself.

I am pretty sure the Chest, collar, and back armor is RKD - V2 (purchased in Jun 2013). The cod, kidney, and knees are BM. The gauntlets are Fp.
All of this was painted by 22ssplit and he did an awesome job. (y)

Very Fettching. One point, the chrome tube is backwards.

SAS

are you sure SW? i thought the same thing until i saw these....

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=11008

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=11037

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=11086

i know the flash tube can look different from picture to picture depending on the light but these are pretty definitive shots and the shiny side seems to be at the end of the barrel.

Well, err yeah. Y'know i've always painted the tip blackened as I thought that made more sense.

are you sure SW? i thought the same thing until i saw these....

i know the flash tube can look different from picture to picture depending on the light but these are pretty definitive shots and the shiny side seems to be at the end of the barrel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back