Taking a cast from a mystery helmet

i dont know anything about casting things.......thats why i was asking.........richard

Moderator Edit:
The Code of Conduct clearly states that:
Cursing and the use of obscenities is prohibited. Additionally, adding "@" or "#" or "$" or "%" or "*" or "-" or any other character in place of letters in curse words do NOT make those words acceptable to post. Keep it clean or keep it off the board.

Let's keep the language clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, sorry there isn't as I don't own one. I purchased a helmet off a fellow board member and painted it myself. I never said that I sculpted my own or that sculpting one was your only option.

but i never said re-cast.....my question clearly states ...CAST......as in cast off....as in movie cast.....as in plaster cast........lovely smashin super

Let's say that you didn't say "recast" we don't have it in writing any more so we can't be 100% sure. You are still asking how to "copy" a Mystery helmet, that, my freind, is "RECASTING". No one here has attacked you, only trying to politely inform you that what you are asking to know how to do is against the policies of this forum and frowned upon by most in this hobby. You then make accusations and call people names. If anyone needs to get a grip and stop crying it would have to be you.

hmmmm.....thats right this is just a hobby not the spanish inquisition.......but i still havnt been answered on how to make a cast from a helmet u make ur self.....i dont want all the text book details i'm just curious how the fibreglass helmets are made....is this so difficult to understand...ur making a mountian outa a mole hill.....carnt you answer my question....if you carn't ...then ok......it dosn't realy matter....but you realy wanna calm down....i dont even get this much crap from the law......BCB

webchief said:
You want to re-cast a Mystery Helmet? I really wouldn't advise doing that if I were you. Re-casting is against TDH policies.
it must be ok for you to say that word........unless you use it as an answer to a question .......never mind...it'll all come out in the wash...... :confused

Don't wish to preach but you might wanna watch the language, read the CoC, the dent doesn't take kindly to swearing, or dissing or antagonising other members.

mandalore697 said:
Don't wish to preach but you might wanna watch the language, read the CoC, the dent doesn't take kindly to swearing, or dissing or antagonising other members.
never been on 1 of these chat things b4...my lad set it up for me.....i've got the info i needed about the kill stripes....seems to me there are quite a few people just wanna have a go ....over something so trivial.........but never mind....they need to get out more.....its not healthy being stuck in front of a pc...........cheers (y) ....

It may seem trivial to you but when people rip off your work and pass it off as their own and make a lot of money from it wouldn't you be p*ssed? And like I said, this isn't the place to wind people up. You're entitled to your opinion, doesn't mean you should bait people. Make the most of this forum, its a helpful place, just remember the code of conduct and be courteous, or The Dent may slap you with a ban!:lol:

Welcome to TDH, Banditz. As a few members pointed out already, making copies of helmets other than ones you have made or own the rights to is frowned upon in the prop building community. The title of this thread, "Taking a cast from a mystery helmet" was construed as a re-casting question. Whether you said "cast" or "recast" is not what caught their attention, it was the "from a mystery helmet." I hope that makes sense to you.

As for the question of how to cast a fiberglass helmet, click on the SEARCH tab at the top of this page and go with it from there. There are several threads on how to make helmets, even a few that members made from metal (one was poured and another was pounded out with sheet metal). To answer the question briefly, if you are making the dome only, then I would suggest a one part mold.

Just to follow up Fettish's excellent post, I'm going to clean-up this thread and give it one last chance now that the terminology has been cleared up. There is no reason for this thread degenerate again.

BobaFettish said:
Welcome to TDH, Banditz. As a few members pointed out already, making copies of helmets other than ones you have made or own the rights to is frowned upon in the prop building community. The title of this thread, "Taking a cast from a mystery helmet" was construed as a re-casting question. Whether you said "cast" or "recast" is not what caught their attention, it was the "from a mystery helmet." I hope that makes sense to you.

As for the question of how to cast a fiberglass helmet, click on the SEARCH tab at the top of this page and go with it from there. There are several threads on how to make helmets, even a few that members made from metal (one was poured and another was pounded out with sheet metal). To answer the question briefly, if you are making the dome only, then I would suggest a one part mold.
Spot on totally agree with you.....you mention some members have made helmets out of metal.....aluminum or mild steel.....have u got pics .....or do u no who they r.....

Yeah. Recasting bad. Especially a mystery helmet. Cuz that would be like taking a recast of a recast. Wait a minute... That doesn't sound right. If you were to recast a Mystery Helmet, could you be banned without banning the members who recast them in the first place?

Also. How different is recasting from reproducing any costume piece? Even if it is from scratch. You're still copying someone else's work.

I'm by no means defending the recasters. But I do think that there are alot of hypocrits on this board when it comes to the subject. Someone that makes a cast of an MQ-1 and copies it, for example (one I think I read about someone getting banned for recently), is just as much a recaster as the person who makes a recast of the copy. If there is a no recast policy on this board, it seems it should apply to everyone without exception. But then where would we get our MHs from?

It is totally different. People who sculpt their own work are not copying off an original piece, it's sculpting it yourself based on how you interpret the many photos. The "copying someone else's work" defense doesn't quite work. I don't know the exact details about the helmets that M_S and Sgt. Fang and whoever else obtained, so they may chime in.

As for the MQ-1, I don't think Casio has a problem with a few people making resin, non-functional copies of a long out-of-production calculator pad and curcuit board. Unless someone's email message naming TDH members by their screen names is responded to, and proves us wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
BANDITZ said:
....you mention some members have made helmets out of metal.....aluminum or mild steel.....have u got pics .....or do u no who they r.....

Search for posts by Hand-Schaub. He made a metal helmet that was INSANE.

Now as for your questions to casting. Most the helmet casts are done by a "indention cast" where its a big hollow piece that is pretty much the detailing all inside. when you pour in teh fiberglass/vinyl it looks like a big glob, but when you pull it out, it is nice an detailed on the outside and looks like a helmet. basic fiberglass helmet making 101.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back