Strict Weapons Policy -> 2-Day Foam EE3

SteelBlitz makes Clonetrooper belts and belt boxes out of a fairly soft and squishy but tough latex foam. It is some sort of commercially available product (maybe dragon skin?) It retains mold detail really well, but might be classified as a 'soft' foam. If you made a weapon out of it, I would say that it would need some sort of internal armature to keep it from sagging or bending.

yea i know what your talkin about. Had a clone many moons ago lol

The stuff that would need to be used is Foam-it from smooth-on. Its pretty ridgid but its super super light. It yeilds excellent detail as well if your casting it from a good mold. My wife had a jawa blaster cast out of this stuff cast from a real Ensfield rifle converted to a Jawa blaster. It was seriously like 6oz or something crazy like that. Plus it wasnt floppy at all. It was made with kids in mind which is why he made them that way. Alot of folks have kids that have Jawa costumes, so you would want them to have a light and safe blaster.

lol yea Dom..they seem to think we are all going to get into a fight and beat each other with out rubber weapons lol I personally wouldnt wanna get beat up with a hyperfirm E-11 though...ouch! lol

yea i know what your talkin about. Had a clone many moons ago lol

The stuff that would need to be used is Foam-it from smooth-on. Its pretty ridgid but its super super light. It yeilds excellent detail as well if your casting it from a good mold. My wife had a jawa blaster cast out of this stuff cast from a real Ensfield rifle converted to a Jawa blaster. It was seriously like 6oz or something crazy like that. Plus it wasnt floppy at all. It was made with kids in mind which is why he made them that way. Alot of folks have kids that have Jawa costumes, so you would want them to have a light and safe blaster.

lol yea Dom..they seem to think we are all going to get into a fight and beat each other with out rubber weapons lol I personally wouldnt wanna get beat up with a hyperfirm E-11 though...ouch! lol
I guess its called hyperfirm for a reason! And that sounds like getting hit with a rubber mallet.

Yep exactly like a rubber mallet except shaped like a blaster...VERY tough stuff
What about expanding foam in a mold, keep in mind I don't if the foam would harm it. Also maybe with a peace of PVC pipe in the middle for stucture. Shooting out ideas, don't know if it would be strong enough for the job too. Haha

It's a tricky business, that expanding foam. Stormrider does ultra light sidearm blasters with an expanded foam core, so it's certainly possible. Slush cast a thin coat of rubber or resin to capture the details, then pour in expanding foam batches to fill in the cavities and voids. Not too much at once, or it could pop the mold open or even not cure in the middle.

Here's the finished product. I didn't bother with the details inside the stock's centre greeblie.
70D2B755-671B-450F-B0F0-A1E894DF0EF0_zpsmdr3hzz7.jpg

After making it through security and seeing a couple cowboy costumes complete with six-shooters, it became apparent to me that I would have had no problem getting my resin EE-3 into the event. However, I am SOOOO glad I took this instead! First, it weighs practically nothing, so no fatigue from carrying it around for 5 hours. Second, some of the drunks and close-talkers wanted to hold the blaster for their pic with me. No problem giving them this to hold or pose with! The only damage I can see is to the rear 'molex connector'. That was probably caused by me anyways!
10356399_10152455084288247_2389830985767807325_n_zpsed3f4b10.jpg

Here's me and the miss on Friday night! Happy Halloween!

What about expanding foam in a mold, keep in mind I don't if the foam would harm it. Also maybe with a peace of PVC pipe in the middle for stucture. Shooting out ideas, don't know if it would be strong enough for the job too. Haha

Thats exactly what my wifes jawa blaster was that i spoke about. No supports in it, just foam-it from smooth-on. So ts made for casting,and can be tinted any color etc...but in essence its pretty much the same as the expanding foam in a can but easier to work with.

great job Necro!

Very nice job, I'm sure you had no problem with that, and the build looked fun! Just a quick question, what was the dimensions you used for the stock, for the "C" peice behind the handle and stock? I'm having lots of trouble with that. And the stock as well, besides my troubles yours turned out fantastic! Awesome work

I just traced my Sidewinder resin EE-3 replica that I had bought about year before. Most of the measurements were taken directly of of that. However, I am positive that wizardofflight has templates/blueprints of the EE-3 somewhere around here on the site...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back