well i can honestly say .....Im honored to have these very fine darts !!!! amazing work for some one who is new to the sport!! if any of yall were on the fence about buying darts from Aaron then wonder no more! P.S. i got the darts lolol
Still putting together what will be a very large video. I haven't wire wooled them yet (since I can't for the life of me find the 0000 wire wool). Here are some of the regrets I have seen so far.
1. I didn't take off the masking fluid after every painting session and it did not come off easily after all of the different layers here.
2. I should have let the green dry for 24 hours before starting to peel. It wasn't 100% cured.
I still like the way it looks, but it isn't as good or close to the movie as I think it should have been. The black over spray will get all taken off (or mostly) when I let it dry and hit it will the steel wool.
That awkward moment when you don't check the reference photo at each step and you determine you are going to have to mask off and paint several portions after the fact. Ohh well I will get more practice.
I should have masked off the silver and I would have been done. I also toned down the size of the silver bleed though on the sand color which will be seen after I remove the masking again. A trained eye will see that I put the scrapes at the wrong angle on the bottom piece which sort of annoys me, but I still think it looks good so I am going to leave it. I am continuing to make my videos but this one is going to be a bit of a longer one to make as painting the helmet takes a very long time.
So whoever's thread I was looking at that talked about wax paper, and masking tape to make stencils you sir/ma'am are the bomb!
I used parchment paper and masking tape to make the stencils, I first drew the design onto the parchment paper, then laid the tape over the top, after that I carefully cut out the pieces and placed them over the spots to be painted. I think it worked well. What do you all think?
The stencils were done for the overall shape, then the liquid mask was used for the little detail work (In fact in these pictures not all the maskol is removed.
All I have to do is add the white and I will be done with this part of the helmet!!!
Sorry all I haven't been making the large updates like I was in the beginning.
I have now moved on to the front cheeks. I am about 1 coat away from being done with them. Ohh and I am still taking timelapses, I just wanted to put the painting video together as one video (I will probably break it apart) It is currently around 60,000 pictures right now.
1. White Base coat (it is a Humbrol Gray, but it turned out white)
2. Silver Coat, as the actual base coat (meaning no "weathering" through it)
-- RafelFett Templates has a bright silver, light gray, and dark gray. I combined light gray and silver into one color to make it easier and because I didn't have the other color
3. Dark Gray
4. Mask off upper cheeks and the silver and gray with maskol
5. Paint green (currently where I am in this process, I am letting it dry)
6. Mask off lower portion
7. Mask off the silver and gray
8. Paint Upper Cheeks
- I for some reason purchased WAY too many Humbrol 76 instead of 78, so I guess I will be touching up my armor with it
- I have been having good luck going almost 2:1 thinner to paint just ensure that you turn the pressure way down as well
- The printable stencils were all printed to big and I am too cheap to resize them
- I love my Badger air brush it is a joy to use
The final color is on the upper cheeks, I just have to let it dry and then peel off the maskol, and steel wool the surface to blend the edges a bit. I should be finished with the cheeks tomorrow! Please note the parts that are uncovered are that way because they were under tape or started to come up when the tape was removed. It will look better tomorrow!
I have been working into the wee hours of the night!
To cheeks and dome are done* (* I actually need to add some more weathering and final paint to the dome, but I am going to wait on that for a bit.
Here is how I did the dome:
1. Coat of silver
2. Mask off silver damage
-- This includes the weathered silver and "base gray"
-- I use a tooth pick for this application, I find that I can usually get pretty good control off of the tip
3. Paint the dark gray
4. Peel off the maskol, then re-apply over the silver and where the gray is as well
-- This was done on the suggestion that it comes off easier and it does, just stinks because that much more time is spent putting on maskol
5. Paint Panzer Green (Humbrol 78 I think?)
6. Peel off maskol
7. Tape off Killstripes there is an excellent tutorial on this site by superjedi (Thank you) Link: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f32/boba-fett-esb-killstripe-tutorial-49888/
8. Peel off the tape.
I will still have to add the weathered green and the white thumb mark in the kill stripes but it is turning out well I think.
Please tell me what you think. I know it isn't 100% movie accurate, but for my first attempt I think it is turning out pretty great!
Woohoo! Check it out I think it turned out really good!
Here is what I know it is still missing:
-- The overspray/weathering on the dome and dent
-- The white thumb print
-- The tape marks along the kill stripes that is a light green
-- The range finder (Stalk and the piece itself, I haven't made them yet)
-- The T-Visor (Haven't decided where I am going to get it
-- The circuit board
Here is what I see that is inaccurate:
-- Most of the weathering was done by eyeball so it isn't perfect
-- I did not have the base white layer I instead combined that color with silver
-- The dent is not perfectly shaped
-- The decals on the ear pieces are a bit "rougher" than in the movie.
All that being said this is my first attempt at a helmet both painting and building and I am more than a little proud of myself.