So

Twofoot

New Hunter
So as some of you may remember I started a scratch build rotj fett. This got put on hold due to various things. Now 3d printing is at a standard that I'm happy with I'm going to continue with the build. The real question is do I go back and build a 3d printed helmet or stick with my fibre glass one I built and what are the pros/cons over fiberglass or printed lids?
Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks. :)

What are you goals ? Where do you see yourself in the future ? Trooping or display for personal use ?

If you are going to 3D print anything cosplay related, I highly recommend not printing in PLA. PLA can warp if left in the sun or anywhere it gets hot, I use PETG for all my prints.

If you are going to 3D print anything cosplay related, I highly recommend not printing in PLA. PLA can warp if left in the sun or anywhere it gets hot, I use PETG for all my prints.
I've read this. Apparently pla can also warp when being printed. Which is not what I want. Is petg hard to work with once the parts are done? E.g is it hard to sand/finish?

Its primarily going to spend most of its time on display but I'd like to be able to wear it on occasion. But no weekly heavy trooping.
Ultimately it is going to be your decision but if your going to display it 3D may work but some parts may need creative construction as they aren't available because they haven't been modelled . If your planning to wear the costume you mite want to bare in mind that the 3d parts are quite rigid and restrictive . Armour and gauntlets as a rule are vac formed and therefore light and flexible to a point . Building a fett usually starts out as a "This isn't going to be a full on expensive build " but has a knack of turning into one , 95% of fett builders will agree with this comment and have readdressed their approach mid way through their build . I fall into this camp

Ultimately it is going to be your decision but if your going to display it 3D may work but some parts may need creative construction as they aren't available because they haven't been modelled . If your planning to wear the costume you mite want to bare in mind that the 3d parts are quite rigid and restrictive . Armour and gauntlets as a rule are vac formed and therefore light and flexible to a point . Building a fett usually starts out as a "This isn't going to be a full on expensive build " but has a knack of turning into one , 95% of fett builders will agree with this comment and have readdressed their approach mid way through their build . I fall into this camp
I already have the armour which I made a few years back. I just have the gauntlets, knees and rocket pack to make now.
I'm not going for a full 501st movie accurate costume but still want it to look like it does on screen. Make sense? Lol.
I also already have most of the soft parts (somewhere in the house).

I printed my jet pack as well as several other smaller parts. I used ABS for the pack and resin for the smaller parts.
Splitting the pack into small enough parts to fit you printer, printing, then reassembling, filling, sanding and painting is quite a project. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just realize what you are getting yourself into. Mine took 7 1/2 weeks working every day to complete.

Here is my build thread if you want to learn from my mistakes.

22.jpg

I printed my jet pack as well as several other smaller parts. I used ABS for the pack and resin for the smaller parts.
Splitting the pack into small enough parts to fit you printer, printing, then reassembling, filling, sanding and painting is quite a project. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just realize what you are getting yourself into. Mine took 7 1/2 weeks working every day to complete.

Here is my build thread if you want to learn from my mistakes.

View attachment 202619
That's a good read. :) if I do a 3d print I'll probably do it in petg to try and stop the warping.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back