ShocK's armor updates (Bells and Skulls, and beyond)

ShocKWavE

Well-Known Hunter
Hey, it's been a while since I posted any updates. I have been able to work on my gear again recently. I just finished the shoulder bells and have the collar, upper legs, and boot armor ready for Rub n Buff....so you'll see some shiney pieces and some dull. Pictures are a bit dark but in any case here you go.

The skulls were done using two seperate templates that I made in Photoshop. One was the traditional shape like this...

and the other was modified with sharp edges like this...

I then inserted the modified skull into the original and sprayed black in the difference. After that, I used a reverse of the modified skull and blotted in the olive and black paints with a sponge. I finished it with a little thinning of the paint with water and then rubbed it with tissue as it dried to cause it to crack. Weathering with black acrylic and a sponge. Cheers.

Jangos kid

Well-Known Hunter
Looks pretty sweet there shockwave! I love the color scheme you selected for your custom. You really have a realistic metal look going on your bucket. Is your armour real metal? Well, if its not, it shure looks like it is!! I've heard of rub & buff metalizer paints, & also heard of rub & buff metal polish, so I'm not shure what you're refering to, but it looks awesome either way! (y)

ShocKWavE

Well-Known Hunter
Thanks again. The only real metal is the rangefinder stem. Everything else is either ABS or Fiberglass (bucket/Jet Pack (in the works)). I use a combination of techniques that took a lot of trial and error before I got it looking how I wanted it. The Rub n Buff I use is the Silver Leaf in the tube. Quickly, my steps are prep surface, 220 sand, prime, 320 wet sand, Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum, 320 wet sand, Rub n Buff, leave over night, recoat Rub n Buff, weather with Black Acrylic/sponge/water. Much thanks to those who helped me. Every step is very important, but the look doesn't really come to life until the weathering. I think it's really important that the paint used for the weathering has a dry, dusty look to it. The contrast of that with the shiney metal surface is what does the trick. I also like to have mild distortions in the armor because I think it makes it look more like a handcrafted metal would. I didn't originally plan on the skulls but I started messing around in photoshop and couldn't resist. After all, that's the fun of the custom.

Time for bed before I RnBuff my arm off :)

M

MLax

that looks great.!!! i love the helmet too, my favorite part is the little line the connects the two equator lines between the arrows. Its looks great!!!