Shapeways Printed Parts

01Hawk

Active Hunter
I needed the side trim piece for my Supertrooper Uzi. I knew I could make the plate and the rearmost trim piece and I had an MQ1 reset button already. I didn't have the dental expander or the 3 things next to it. Rafalfett, who has been a great help with my build so far, has the whole assembly on his Shapeways page so I figured Buying it would give him a few dollars and I could get a chance to see what their 3D prints were like. Here are some pics. I think for very small pieces it came out great. The teeth on the expander aren't extremely detailed but I expected that. Thanks Rafalfett!
2A2EF3B7-3E43-42AC-B7B4-33E9C3C13DE8.jpg
7523939D-D008-47C8-837D-A70C5FAD3EAB.jpg
A21E8BBA-1926-4662-8656-6EDC56F3C46A.jpg

That turned out very nice.

Did you have that done in the white strong & flexible?

For better detail the "ultra frosted detail" or the "frosted extreme detail" would give the best results for small fine details.

That is white strong and flexible polished. There were so many choices I didn't know which to pick. I was curious as to how smooth the part would look or the amount of obvious print lines. I does look really nice but maybe I will order one like you describe to see how that looks.

Big price differences on those lol. This one was like $10 .. Ultra frosted is $36 and extreme frosted is $56. May just be happy with what I have for now.

I know the cost is more for the frosted materials but the detail is so much better.

I am going to throw some primer and paint on it and see how it looks. I am intrigued to see what the differences would be in the different levels

In ordered one of your expanders to see how they print Toolguy. Messed up and only got the Ultra one when I meant to get the extreme but I Am interested to see how they come out

Very nice, btw shape ways doesn't use desktop fdm style printers so their prints don't have the lines you would associate with those machines.

Their high end material prints are really nice. I have been considering buying a desktop printer for under $2k or so but don't think the quality would be what I would want and I really wouldn't print a lot of stuff to justify the investment at this point.

After seeing that side piece for the UZI I went over and had a look at shapeways for one.

Am just after spending over $200 on Fett parts. Cheers for that...lol

I just ordered a bunch of his parts including the UZI part you posted but in black. What is the recommended paint to use on these parts?
Lynn

Not sure on which paints work best. Make sure you wash them real well to get any residue off them. I think I am going to spray the plate completely with Krylon silver and then use small brushes and Tamiya hobby paints on the smaller parts. For the red and black stripes I am going to buy pinstripe and or just vinyl sheets and stick them on.

Thanks! I just don't want to have a sticky mess like when you paint vinyl with the wrong paints and they never dry and stay forever sticky.
Lynn

I'm really amazed that those were 3D printed...I have a decent 3D printer myself and attempting to print the dental expander just simply did not work, much less eliminating the striations.

I was amazed as well le220. Very detailed. I have prints of the dental expander in my regular build thread. They print really nice and I think we're only $12.

And Lynn I know a lot of people here use Rustoleum but when I painted the Vektor pistols I make , the Rustoleum never seems to dry - it is always slightly tacky.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back