Blaster Scope barrel mounts: My next item to attempt to CNC machine

TD4242

Active Hunter

I think I have the model and the CAM tool paths ready to give this a try. I'll only be able to do one side for now as I'll need to make some type of fixture to hold it so I can machine the other side.
scopemounts.png
 

Attachments

Last edited:

TD4242

Active Hunter
I've also machined a set of soft jaws to hold the part so I can do the other side. I'll be doing that over the next week and will post some progress.
 

TD4242

Active Hunter
Setup everything for the second op and and got them cut. Turns out I made them a little to large and they wont tighten down on the flash tube. I've reworked the model and can make some new ones that will fit correctly.

Here's some pics of the slightly too large ones:
 

Attachments

TD4242

Active Hunter
I got the larger ring machined but had a bad tool path that tore a hole in the side of it. I have it fixed now and will run a new tomorrow. I did get it far enough to know that it fits freaking perfectly.
 

TD4242

Active Hunter
Making some changes based on some of the newer references around. I forgot how old my research was when I drew these up.
 

TD4242

Active Hunter
The top row are a set I made in ~2006 and were used as the basis for my hollow cast resin EE-3s I sold back at that time.
The second row was CNC machined and sand blasted replicas of the older ones.
The next two rows are iterations on a more accurate version.
 

Attachments

TD4242

Active Hunter
New 1/8" endmills should be here tomorrow. That old worn out one I've been using is leaving a horrible finish. It cleans up with the sand blasting but looks like **** right out of the mill.
 

TD4242

Active Hunter
10 new 1/8" carbide 3 flute end mills showed up today. Having a brand new cutting tool vs. some random ebay used lot purchase is amazing. Going to do some sand blasting and painting as well. Check out my other thread on the split plug and stock greeblies progress.

Anyway lots of progress pictures:

20200423_210519.jpg


20200423_210525.jpg
 

Attachments

TD4242

Active Hunter
Updated the first image with the updates to the actual parts. I've also found a way to accurately sculpt the rounded center portion. Now I've got to find a way to get in and run that on the existing ones I've made so far. Right now I'm really worried about the reliability of getting the parts indicated in the machine and not screwing up the good mounts I've made already. So far my tests have shown great promise for the end result though so I think it'll be worth the risk.

All new ones will be easy to do though, as everything will be 100% accurately indicated in by default.
 
Top