ROTJ Undersuit

Grantd1

Jr Hunter
Hello TDH brethren

A while ago I asked RS Props to put together an ROTJ Fett for me - ready to troop from the box with the 501st. This they did and I think it's awesome - they added little touches like 'fake' connections to the jet pack for pyrotechnics, etc. and all soft parts where from Clothears which are amazing including a 'Bulloch Bonnet'.

Here is the frontal submission pic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392880892.149855.jpg

This was knocked back (a number will be familiar do the CRL's the 501st use to base their clearance upon) for a few reasons I can understand but one was for the undersuit being too blue.

Admittedly in this light it looks a little dark - but as is known (& after extensive research from Clothears & debated on here) the colour on the film was blue as below & not grey as at the MOM exhibit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392881193.735688.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392881206.784802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392881218.590019.jpg

I want to know what you guys.....the experts think - I want accuracy but what's the point if I can't troop it?

Here are pics I took last night just of the undersuit in a brighter environment for reference.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392881353.811458.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392881364.464585.jpg

I personally thinks it's bob on & maybe too grey if anything - but that's clutching at straws.

First and foremost that first pic looks great. They did a great job of giving you a ready to wear kit.

I tend to agree with you about the color in the screen shots. There definitely is more blue grey there than we normally think about. But I also know that as a member of the 501st the person making the approvals may not know everything about Boba Fett. So they go off of reference pics and the written CRL. The person making the approval may know every nook and cranny on a TK and a Vader but hasn't spent much time in the Boba Fett and Jango Fett world. I say all of that to say this......

Go over to the Bounty Hunter's Guild and post up this same question. The CRLs are still being worked on and many of the issues are still currently in discussion on that forum. See what consensus you get there and then they can work with you and the GML of your garrison to make sure that we put out the BEST possible kits.

Again I think that first pic looks really great.

There is a discussion currently over on the BHG about the color of the ROTJ flight suit. I would go there and participate in the discussion and see what they are deciding on with regards to the color.

Thanks for the input - I have chipped in over there on the relevant thread but they 'seemed' a bit stuck on the grey suit as 'this what everyone expects'.

I was hoping for support from this forum in the event the CRL wasn't amended.

I'm hoping my evidence & argument will see through :)

Keep chipping in though please - would you consider my undersuit an accurate representation of the ROTJ undersuit from the pictures?

First and foremost that first pic looks great. They did a great job of giving you a ready to wear kit.

Again I think that first pic looks really great.

And thanks - I agree!!!

There are inconsistencies in how the flight suit looks. I can agree with Grantd1 on this, his suit looks good & depending on the lighting it does look different.

I have just spent a lot of time delving into this subject cause I have been working on my flight suit coloring. I started with a MOW suit so I had to come up with a recipe for dying it. I had mixed feeling about the direction to go. Based on screen captures, MOM tour, behind the scenes, it all becomes rather confusing. I so agree with the faded light blue.

In the end I went with a 2 fold dye process. I came up with a mix of dye that gave me a light blue gray (RIT dyes formula for Silver Cloud #186 modified) & after bleaching it gave me very similar to what is shown above on the submitted photo. I rinsed & let this dry. Then I re-dyed it using a mix of pearl gray & black. Rinsed & run through the washing machine. The final results of this were a nice blue under tone with the gray. There are some areas of the seams that show the blue yet & depending on the lighting it does appear bluish or gray.

This is a very debated topic & if you don't dig deep in to the research you won't know most of this information. The CRL states gray but there are also reference photos that show differently & if you could work with your GML on this you could get it resolved. To me there is some personal preference based on all relevant known information. Your suit looks good & there is no reason it shouldn't be approved.

Firstly: it looks great. who ever looked over that, couldnt have been all too familiar with an ROTJ Fett (Although, "grey in color" seems to be the prerequisite) Additinally- Two questions: How much did they charge, and how long did it take?

This would be a very hard topic for me to chime in on. On one hand, your studio shot looks quite blue, but it does match the screenshots that you provided.

From my research, the majority of shots I've looked at have been more light gray....but then the shots of your suit hanging up looks more gray.

Ahhhhhh...the madness! :)

I think a lot of people may be reluctant to want to change the colours of their flight suits, so this may be a very hard motion to sway.

Either way, whatever happens, I support what is accurate (even though I think aesthetically that gray looks nicer with the ROTJ suit :) )

Best of luck in solving this mystery!

So here's the rub brother....many different shots look different due to the light. How many scenes were tampered with in the special edition? Was.it originally the same suit as in ESB, just with a little more age to it? Make this work in your favor....is that cheating? No , it's actually called lighting and perception. The same as what happened during the making of the movie.
you have an awesome and expensive costume. Don't fight it, just rethink it.

As shown in your personal pics....work the light to your favor and make it grey....submit your pics, get your approval, and troop as you see fit. Is your local garrison officer going to rat you out over the FS? Just my 2 cents.

Yes very good points & thanks - it was the poor lighting that made the suit look a little esb.

In my dining room & to the eye it look grey with a hint of blue, which obviously changes the tone with less light.

What I'm gunning for over on the bounty hunters guild where they are discussing the acceptance criteria or crl is to accept both.

In all costumes they have a basic pass level with higher awards for increased accuracy. I'm arguing for & I thank they accept this, is the basic out&out grey for basic, but a blue tint for higher accuracy.

I need to tweak a few items like the electronics with RS then we'll weather more & photo in some proper light.

I'll do a show off thread with all the bits and bobs - it's truly an awesome suit

Sounds like a plan to me. I have both, as I kinda like the look of both. Depends on my mood so when the time comes I'd wear whichever one I'm in the mood for....

Yes very good points & thanks - it was the poor lighting that made the suit look a little esb.

In my dining room & to the eye it look grey with a hint of blue, which obviously changes the tone with less light.

First: awesome look!
Is this version you have the ROTJ blueish or the MoM faded greyish suit. I am curious as I inquired about one for my build.

I just saw over on BHG that it looks like your issue is bringing about some great discussion and positive change.

Good to see people using reason and discussion to solve issues.

Depending which exhibit you use as reference, the jumpsuits were different colorations. The AOSW/C4 suit was a different base tone than the M.O.M. jumpsuit which WAS a light blue color that they toned down with weathering to look more grayish. My Boba costume is mostly M.O.M. based so I intentionally bought an ESB light blue jumpsuit and then weathered it down.

All the suits started as blue - grey and faded at unknown rates and times to the colors we see in exhibits.
While the Clothears suit might be a tad more blue then it should be for the 36 year old exhibit suits, it is technically correct. Certainly within acceptable margins for the 501st.
Methinks this is another example of the new CRL failing to be fair or correct.

Unfortunately this undersuit is not recognised by my local GML as accurate.

It still cannot be passed as it is not the 'right blue hue'.

Not to worry it's great to see discussion progressing our hobby.

Excellent.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The way the conversation is going on the BHG. It seems that the blue hue on the ROTJ suit will be included.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back