ROTJ almost complete?

Neo Fett

Active Hunter
Besides the kneepads, ammo belt, and range finder what am I missing or what needs to be improved for 501st approval?

YBOqDGJ.jpgIMG_5933.JPGIMG_5934.JPGIMG_5943.JPGIMG_5938.JPGIMG_5944.JPGIMG_5941.JPGIMG_5942.JPGIMG_5937.JPG IMG_5948.JPGIMG_5945.JPGIMG_5949.JPGIMG_5946.JPGIMG_5950.JPGIMG_5947.JPG

Jfp9dPd.jpg

Regarding Gregory's comment on your helmet (it looks like too much paint came away pulling the mask up -- the details are missing), I think it really depends on your GML. Below is a shot of my helmet where you can see the details in the "silver metal" portions (too red here, but pay no attention to that :)). You might be able to reapply those topically, and add the weathering as Gregory noted.

I'd say all your soft parts need quite a bit more weathering (maybe a bit more on the gauntlets too), and the color of your girth is too red imo. Maybe Mullreel's suggestion of weathering there will work, but you might try washing it to tone it down first.
I think you need some tint to the covering of your chest display; in screen captures where the lights are off you can't see the LEDs as clearly as we can in your shots. Other than that it's hard to say about the armor in those photos. I think your shoulder bells and jet pack look great, but the rocket tip might be a little too red. I had terrible trouble with mine, had to completely strip it once and nearly twice using the translucent red. Check the pic below.

helmet dress front.jpg

jp front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys, looks like a helmet repaint is needed (I figured as much).

How exactly should I weather the girth belt?

Is there such a thing as too much weathering?

It looks like the visor is just a bit to long on the helmet. It seems to be sticking out of the bottom left mandible if you were facing the helmet.

Fixed the visor, repainted the helmet, added a film in front of the chest display, weathered more, and added knee pads and ammo belt. How's it looking?

20170209_163216.jpg20170209_163220.jpg

Helmet still needs kill stripes and the arrows painted, plus probably some washing. Oh and the range finder too.

Since you are seeking 501st approval its difficult to accurately judge what you need to resolve without the costume being fitted on you.

The above stated, regarding painting you will need to alter several items. Besides the helmet your gauntlets need a solid wash to darken and dirty them. Reference gallery images of Boba Fett in the exhibit for gauntlet weathering shots. There are accuracy issues with your left gauntlet. The buttons are painted incorrectly and the dental expander is red not silver in color.

There are serious accuracy issues with your jetpack paint job that will need to be corrected. I strongly suggest examining the RoTJ CRL jetpack reference image on the 501st site to see what your jetpack needs to be painted like.

Lastly put the costume on yourself and take some pictures. It will greatly help the community help make your costume more accurate. You have a great start, but there is still much that needs done before you should submit for approval.

Sent via Holonet from Slave I

What is wrong with it? I see a few little things but nothing major. Is my weathering pattern not detailed enough?

I see that my thrusters need some red and black paint and my stripe on the top of the pack is crooked. What else?

There are serious accuracy issues with your jetpack paint job that will need to be corrected. I strongly suggest examining the RoTJ CRL jetpack reference image on the 501st site to see what your jetpack needs to be painted like.

I first recommend looking at the CRL on the 501st website. This is what you will be judged against by your local GML when you submit your costume for 501st admission.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:BH_Boba_Fett-RotJ

The image for the jetpack is shown below. This is what you will be judged against for accuracy purposes.

ROTJ_Boba_Jetpack.jpg

All of the red you have on your jet pack is too red. Its more of a burgundy color. The red you currently use would be fine with the center thruster area. If you heavily wash it you will probably end up with the correct red color. This might possibly be a lighting issue, take photos under direct sunlight as that is what the standard really is.

The tops and (probably) bottoms of your side tanks are incorrect, reference the image above. I highlighted the areas in yellow in the image below.

jetpackfixes.png

The geeen area highlighted above should be black.

The purple area highlighted above should be red.

The area highlighted in orange above really should be black or brass/copper. None of the jetpacks used in the RoTJ movie had the paint scheme you showed above on the beacon. Here is a close-up that might help.

Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-056.jpg

Hopefully all the above helps you. I did not identify issues you already talked about.

Here are two left gauntlet images I was referring to in the gallery section.

Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-117.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-032.jpg

Compared to yours...

attachment.php

From looking at your gauntlet it looks like your flamethrower is attached incorrectly. It should be level as seen in the two pictures I linked above.

You are missing the non-functional switch on the gauntlet that is in the "bump" that sticks out about 1 inch above where your thumb is in the picture above.

The rocket head is weathered incorrectly. You might get away with how its painted now though.

As stated previously the dental expander and buttons are painted incorrectly.

Your right gauntlet looks pretty good. Weather it darker some more with a wash and fix the crack around the oval area that sticks out. Here is a reference image.

Boba-Fett-Costume-SWTE-020509-123.jpg

The highlighted area is in yellow below. you might want to paint the area around that oval as seen in the reference above.

rightgauntletfixes.png

View attachment 107114

The orange area highlighted above should be black.

The purple area highlighted above should be red.

The area highlighted in green above really should be black or brass/copper. None of the jetpacks used in the RoTJ movie had the paint scheme you showed above on the beacon. Here is a close-up that might help.

Just for the sake of being clear, I think crumdum may have transposed the green and orange descriptions. Also, why on the large jetpack image that you said he would be judged by the top of the beacon is silver, as ZenixNet has it? There are so many different versions of props used, it is sometimes hard to know which ones to reference. There seem to be discrepancies even between themselves, e.g. the right gauntlet example above is not totally "accurate" because it is missing the two switches on the side, not to mention the two hoses.

Just for the sake of being clear, I think crumdum may have transposed the green and orange descriptions. Also, why on the large jetpack image that you said he would be judged by the top of the beacon is silver, as ZenixNet has it? There are so many different versions of props used, it is sometimes hard to know which ones to reference. There seem to be discrepancies even between themselves, e.g. the right gauntlet example above is not totally "accurate" because it is missing the two switches on the side, not to mention the two hoses.
The hoses were removed in RoTJ SE....

The top of the beacon in RoTJ was black for that style jetpack with the black middle. There was a pure silver beacon worn on one of the damaged jetpacks during the skiff fighting scenes, and the RoTJ stunt foam pack was blue middle/top.

The exhibition shows the jetpack used in RoTJ SE which started having parts of it break down after filming and 20 ish years in storage.

The hoses were removed in RoTJ SE....

The top of the beacon in RoTJ was black for that style jetpack with the black middle. There was a pure silver beacon worn on one of the damaged jetpacks during the skiff fighting scenes, and the RoTJ stunt foam pack was blue middle/top.

The exhibition shows the jetpack used in RoTJ SE which started having parts of it break down after filming and 20 ish years in storage.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to point out that the reference photos can sometimes be confusing, in that people need to know what version they are looking at. In addition to the fact that the thing is falling apart.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back