Rocketman242 Scratchbuilt Cardboard Boba Fett Helmet

Rocketman242

New Hunter
I've never done anything like this before. I wasn't planning on posting pictures of my build but, seeing other peoples pictures and how they do things has helped me out so very much I figured I would at least share some of my pics I've taken. I'm using RafalFett's templates. Please let me know what you think.
I have the helmet assembled and used fiberglass on the inside.
BobaFett006.jpgBobaFett009.jpgBobaFett007.jpgBobaFett008.jpgBobaFett010.jpg

The ear pieces and range finder pieces have their first pass of filler and sanding.

BobaFett002.jpgBobaFett003.jpgBobaFett001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Your build looks awesome! The only thing I would change is the dent, as it sits too deep into the dome. Keep up the great work!

Looking good! The only thing I'd suggest with my limited experience is that you make sure to remove the paper templates before applying bondo or filler, as you might have peeling problems with the thin paper glued onto the cardboard.

RafalFett, When you say too deep you mean the depth of the dent, correct? not the position? I haven't done anything except have the hole for the dent and a "backer" for the dent for when I fiberglassed it. Thanks for the input! I will post more pics as I progress.

RafalFett, When you say too deep you mean the depth of the dent, correct? not the position? I haven't done anything except have the hole for the dent and a "backer" for the dent for when I fiberglassed it. Thanks for the input! I will post more pics as I progress.

The dent position looks fine, but the dent should be glued to the outside of the dome and not to the inside (it is best visible in your first image in the 1st post).

This is looking really nice. I love your attention to detail. I've been lurking and working on a scratch build for several months now based on wof templates, but your work on the rafalfett one has me second guessing myself. Maybe I'll start up a thread on my progress as well.

Here we go. Another update. Bondo on the top. Lots of places filled primed and sanded. Still going to prime and sand a few more times. I also have to cut out the turn signals and the rectangle on the left mandible.uploadfromtaptalk1427722915818.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427722928936.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427722940145.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427722948916.jpg

Excellent work on the bondo/sanding. You are a true artist. I'd love to hear about cutting out the turn signals as I also have to do that on my helmet.

Thanks Ham for the compliment. This is the first thing I've ever tried to do and I am happy with the way it's turning out. I'm a little scared about the painting, but with all the info and tutorials I think I can do a decent job.

Thanks Lud! Yes I plan on layering the paint. Still looking to see what paints I can get my hands on here in Tulsa

Just posting final helmet pic. In the end my son changed his mind and just wanted a custom mando. So I filled the dent and painted it up. Just wanted to show the final product. uploadfromtaptalk1433567871265.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back