RF to servo coupler??

NT below is the link for the servo shaft extension that I found a while back, and sent the link to Lynn for his build. If you want to use this one, there's a couple of ways to attach it. Lynn attached his by drilling the arm out large enough for the extension to go through, and then drilling and tapping the side of the arm to install an allen set screw. I believe you could also cut the extension to length required, use a washer and screw the correct length / size and screw directly into the end of the servo shaft to attach the arm as needed. This extension is made out of metal, so it should hold up.
0.375" x 1.00" Servo Shafts
Servocity also has mounts and a variety of hardware on their site !!

Thanks, as I said though, $55 just to post something is a bit silly. The shaft I have is 3d-printed so I don't know if it would hold a screw.

Looks good. It took a good bit of searching to find these servo shaft extensions, I'm glad it worked out for you. What you are calling a "grub screw" I refer to it as a "Allen Set Screw"
Did you just drill and tap the range finder, or did you drill into the shaft extension and thread it also?
Sorry, didn't see this until now. Thanks, I just drilled and tapped the RF stalk as mentioned and tightened it against the shaft. The grub screw is an Allen set screw, this is a term used in my RC cars manuals and I used it.
Lynn

NT, if you're going to use the printed extension then you can drill the stalk base, continuing to drill into the shaft extension also, and tap both together at the same time. Then you can get a set screw long enough to go into, and hold both together. It should help stiffen up the assembly and make it more substantial.
If you don't think that's enough support, roll around about 30 degrees on the back side of the stalk base and put another set screw at that location the same way.

Lynn, your welcome...glad to help !

Hvacdon, I'd need to drill a bigger hole in the stalk as well which won't be easy... And get the tread in there. I think my father-in-law has the tools. I need to check with Machinecraft if I can drill into the stalk.

Last edited:
It's a Black Tusk one (Hitec HS-77B servo) and a hollow Machinecraft stalk, but it's attaching the servo to the stalk. Done various sorts of configurations trying to stick them together and nothing's worked. This might work, but I'm not sure on some of the terminology here and I can't get the shaft in the UK.

So I guess it's get a shaft, get grub screws (?), drill up rangefinder hole and shaft and insert grub screw, and hope it fits the servo?

Edit: They want 55 DOLLARS to send a 5 dollar shaft to the UK! Are they hand-delivering it? Scratch that method. I'll just stick a nut and bolt on it and have it static.

Does the Black Tusk tutorial help any? You should be able to put a screw through the extension and attach it to the servo. From there glue the other end of the extension to the RF stalk.

Attachments

• Wireless Range Finder Servo.pdf
    599.6 KB · Views: 418
As ZN was referring to and I mentioned earlier, if you get a screw long enough, you can go through a washer on the end of the stalk base, extension and screw directly into the servo shaft. So, you would be sandwiching (or stacking) the stalk arm, the extension and screwing it tight to the servo shaft. The only thing you would need to be careful with is, the extension would need to be cut off to the correct length to orient the stalk to the desired distance away from the side of the helmet. As ZN mentioned, once everything (stalk base) was aligned on the end of the extension properly, it could be epoxied around the shaft extension and the stalk just for the sake of making sure nothing shifted over time... Hope this helps !!

Hvacdon, I'd need to drill a bigger hole in the stalk as well which won't be easy... And get the tread in there. I think my father-in-law has the tools. I need to check with Machinecraft if I can drill into the stalk.
You are correct if you elected to do the set screw method. Below ZN and myself tried to explain more in detail how to attach the stalk base
using the other method. Using the other method would only require cutting off the extension and using the correct washer at the end of the stalk and screw to hold the assembly together...

wish I had found this before cutting into my RS helmet to make a deep well for a circular servo arm. I still have the old ASOK ear piece i can replace it with if need to go back (he sent all 3 pieces years ago for my Sgt Fang helmet which already had top half of right ear cast). No one at any hobby shop or even the RC Car track/superstore mentioned "servo shaft."

I am having a completely different servo problem now, so I am gonna start a new thread to look for advice so it will be searchable in the future.

It sounds like the servo shaft (extension) seems to work pretty well. Is yours set up with a wireless transmitter to operate the servo?

IMG_7326.JPG
wish I had found this before cutting into my RS helmet to make a deep well for a circular servo arm. I still have the old ASOK ear piece i can replace it with if need to go back (he sent all 3 pieces years ago for my Sgt Fang helmet which already had top half of right ear cast). No one at any hobby shop or even the RC Car track/superstore mentioned "servo shaft."

I am having a completely different servo problem now, so I am gonna start a new thread to look for advice so it will be searchable in the future.
I did the same with my RS lid when installing my salamader king servo . I was really reluctant however when I noticed the screen used helmets had s big hole it didn't seem so drastic

Don't really know if the way I did ours will help but......
I put notches in the front edges of the servo extension.....made a pin to extend across it.....rotated the servo conterclockwise to vertical....put the stalk vertical....marked and cut
the stalk to match the pins...works fine.
DSC_5314.JPG DSC_5317.jpg DSC_5316.JPG DSC_5322.JPG DSC_5324.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back