Reshaped "BM" armor

psberetta

Active Hunter
Well, I had this sold but it fell through.
The main thing I did not like about it was that it seemed to small on me.
So I unsnapped my current armor and taped the BM armor on it and it was dead on :eek:.
The next thing was the top of the chest plates. They kinda stuck out on the top. They had a weird curve to them and did not sit right on my chest.
The collar armor had the same thing going on. It was almost flat and did not rest on my shoulders the way it should. Most people don't have this problem. As I said, this was my problem.

I read somewhere that you could change the shape of fiberglass by heating it up the same way you can with plastic. So I took it to work and hit it with a heat gun and was VERY happy with what I came out with (y). I shaped the back plate to match.

I personally think Bobamaker makes a AWESOME set of armor but it would be next to impossible to make something that would fit everyone out there. This armor was ''Ready to go'' out of the package. I'm just nuts I guess.

So that being said, if you are teetering on getting some of his stuff, go for it.
On top of that, He is a stand up guy to work with and keeps you updated (y).

This is my opinon anyway :).

The pics are of the ''AFTER'' form.
By no means was this stuff not killer right out of the box, I have just become way picky :).

So, what do you guys think ?

-Tim-

Copy of DSC00759.jpg

Copy of DSC00760.jpg

Copy of DSC00758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. Like you said armor is just one of those things that is never going to fit everyone perfectly right out of the box.

I had to do a bit of reshaping on my mlc armor around the ...cod area. It was too steap a curve in ward (that comes to a point rather than a curve) and was a bit uncomfortable for my unmetionables. heat gun and a few min of holding and it was a much better fit.

Just curious, is it possible to reshape fibreglass AFTER it was painted, without breaking the paint or something. I used acryls and figured the chest pieces could use a little reshaping as well.

Just curious, is it possible to reshape fibreglass AFTER it was painted, without breaking the paint or something. I used acryls and figured the chest pieces could use a little reshaping as well.

Nope. The heat needed to bend the glass will bubble the paint.

Yes it is possible to re-shape the armour without the paint cracking. The heat process also softens the acrylic paint and allows it to bend slightly, don't go made though... carefully does it;)

DAZ

Sorry to say this and to be honest (and faithful with the original post) and please don't take me wrong and I'm not trying to be a smart butt either....but, unless we have a "before-and-after" pics, I don't see this topic THAT helpful (that's what I do normally, showing the before-and-after pics or COMPARISON pics). Are you upgrading or just got a new BM set, or mixing-and-matching.....I don't get it. Well, that's just me. Just a suggestion to everyone (not just you), and another learning tip, that way other present and future members could learn from here.

At least I understand the part when you said (in a way) that all armor is not for everyone's body shape, and that's the truth. I also understand that you've had to re-shape the chest pieces, because they were too flat...am I right? If so, NICE hint. I will work on mines when they come.

Anyways, I've ordered a full set of BM armor myself since mid-november, then hitting my head to a wall, by just seeing some of the armor being sold on Ebay from other members and previous BM customers. The only one big problem I have is the collar armor (originally vacuuformed from MB) and the back armor do not match correctly (or shaped correctly to match each other, I would say), and they need to be changed, and the back armor is not accurate, specially the back of the neck area.

BTW....are you upgrading, or just got a new set of armor? Let us know.

Robert

Sorry to say this and to be honest (and faithful with the original post) and please don't take me wrong and I'm not trying to be a smart butt either....but, unless we have a "before-and-after" pics, I don't see this topic THAT helpful (that's what I do normally, showing the before-and-after pics or COMPARISON pics). Are you upgrading or just got a new BM set, or mixing-and-matching.....I don't get it. Well, that's just me. Just a suggestion to everyone (not just you), and another learning tip, that way other present and future members could learn from here.

At least I understand the part when you said (in a way) that all armor is not for everyone's body shape, and that's the truth. I also understand that you've had to re-shape the chest pieces, because they were too flat...am I right? If so, NICE hint. I will work on mines when they come.

Anyways, I've ordered a full set of BM armor myself since mid-november, then hitting my head to a wall, by just seeing some of the armor being sold on Ebay from other members and previous BM customers. The only one big problem I have is the collar armor (originally vacuuformed from MB) and the back armor do not match correctly (or shaped correctly to match each other, I would say), and they need to be changed, and the back armor is not accurate, specially the back of the neck area.

BTW....are you upgrading, or just got a new set of armor? Let us know.

Robert

Sorry, no before pics. Maybe someone else could post some.

All I did was heat up the TOP of the chest armor, closest to the collar and made it ''Flatter'' across the top so it diden't set so far off of my chest.

Just letting guys out there know that you could change the shape a little if need be, thats all.

-Tim-

Well doesn't his have a gel coat anyway?

I have to assume it's possible, as long as the gel coat isn't thick where the form is easily lost

-=QuinN!

I don't know, I don't have his armor.

I don't think I'll bother trying this tho. I'm just going to upgrade it sometime anyway.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back