Random prop talk.

droidbait

Active Hunter
Other than Jango Fett costume, I am working or have been working on a ODST from the Halo franchise. Ever since seeing them in Halo I knew I wanted to be a ODST. I bought Sean Bradley ODST armor years ago and it didn't fit me, all the armor was big on me. Sold it to a friend of mine. Feeling defeated I was introduced years later to a wonderful thing called 3D printing and a program called Armor Forge. You can scale any 3D file to the custom avatar you make with your body dimensions.

I've been learning to slice, modify files to fit my small MK3S print bed. And also learning to use Armor Forge. Anyways here is some modified MoeSizzlac Rookie files to fit my short height.

What costumes/cosplay/props you working on?

20200707_212814.jpg
20200707_212855.jpg
20200707_212934.jpg
20200707_213010.jpg
20200707_213333.jpg
20200707_213400.jpg

Tell me more about Armor Forge. I Googled it but was only able to find references to Fallout 4.
It sounds like a great tool.

Yeah I've also always wanted to do a ODST ever since I saw the old Bloomkamp's Landfall shorts, so loved the designs and weathering they used in that. Those WETA boys are geniuses, and seeing them do Halo was a real joy.

Just look at that sucker, beautiful work.
411887-odst2.jpg

As for something I'm working on; currently working at perfecting my design for some 3d printable chainmail that's made to look more historic through flattening and faux rivets (everything else I saw out there were just simple round donuts). Still nothing compared to the real stuff, but with a little metallic wax brushed over it I think it'll make pretty great lightweight prop mail.

Annotation 2020-02-22 205113.pngAnnotation 2020-04-30 012103.jpgIMG_20200711_174827.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I've also always wanted to do a ODST ever since I saw the old Bloomkamp's Landfall shorts, so loved the designs and weathering they used in that. Those WETA boys are geniuses, and seeing them do Halo was a real joy.

Just look at that sucker, beautiful work.
View attachment 194169

As for something I'm working on; currently working at perfecting my design for some 3d printable chainmail that's made to look more historic through flattening and faux rivets (everything else I saw out there were just simple round donuts). Still nothing compared to the real stuff, but with a little metallic wax brushed over it I think it'll make pretty great lightweight prop mail.

View attachment 194170View attachment 194176View attachment 194171
Oh wow very cool! Look forward to seeing more of this. Will you sell the files later on? Or is it just for personal use? I want to do a costume in the future that involves chainmail.

Oh wow very cool! Look forward to seeing more of this. Will you sell the files later on? Or is it just for personal use? I want to do a costume in the future that involves chainmail.
I'll almost surely be throwing it up for free on thingverse, just gotta tweak some things to make it easier to work with. Like namely getting the connection of the rings to the base layer just right so they can be snapped off easily so you don't have to individually cut em all off. Make it too thin though and the prints start to fail. Also gotta make the optional STL's for larger/smaller sheets and make a readme or video explaining it all. Pretty much just making it release quality versus personal printer quality ya kno.

Took a break from Jango. I made a switch hole to big. Trying to undo my error. Got it a little better than it was before. I should leave it as.

Anyways I started airbrushing the Monster. I'm to the point where I'm topically applying some of the detail work. I really like how it's coming along. Anyone have some good airbrush videos they can recommend? I have a few personal favorites. But always want to see how other artists paint. Thanks!

IMG_20200721_160904_399.jpg
20200726_143500.jpg

One of my favorite Pixar animation shorts is called Knick Knack. If you've never seen it here is the link to the original:
I always wanted to build all of the characters. There are no 3D files out there that I know of for 3D printing the characters so I had to model my own.
This is still a work in progress, but I have a good start.
20180905_075939.jpg

20180909_150517.jpg

I ended up repainting the pyramid after the paint reacted and caused wrinkling.
20200104_124621.jpg

I am still slowly modeling the remaining characters.
Next is the Woman "Sunny Miami". I plan to model her as she was in the original video from 1989. When Disney bought Pixar they re-released Knick Knack, but "adjusted" the woman in the bikini. She is far less curvy.

Pre-Disney
Knickknack1.jpg

Post Disney

Here are a couple more of my 1 day builds. (Stealing a line from Adam Savage.)

I loved Mythbusters. So I had to make my own sign. This was my first attempt at rust. I used several different colors layered and sand sprinkled on the wet paint between layers to give some texture. The letters are 3D printed and the plate is a laminated shelf section. The "welds" around the letters is hot glue. Everyone who sees it thinks it's steel.
Mythbusters Sign 3.JPG

I decided one day to make a UFO abduction desk lamp. Just because.
UFO.jpg

The UFO rotates and has LED's around the edge. The motor is in the UFO and I built my own brush system so the cow and clear tube don't rotate. There are 3 individual strands of wire running up the side of the tube to get power to the UFO and LED's. I'm using the guts from an old Harbor Freight flashlight to light the cow.

Here are a couple more of my 1 day builds. (Stealing a line from Adam Savage.)

I loved Mythbusters. So I had to make my own sign. This was my first attempt at rust. I used several different colors layered and sand sprinkled on the wet paint between layers to give some texture. The letters are 3D printed and the plate is a laminated shelf section. The "welds" around the letters is hot glue. Everyone who sees it thinks it's steel.
View attachment 195254

I decided one day to make a UFO abduction desk lamp. Just because.
View attachment 195255
The UFO rotates and has LED's around the edge. The motor is in the UFO and I built my own brush system so the cow and clear tube don't rotate. There are 3 individual strands of wire running up the side of the tube to get power to the UFO and LED's. I'm using the guts from an old Harbor Freight flashlight to light the cow.
I love this! Awesome!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back