Quick question on ROTJ Fett armor paint

RexFett

Hunter
So I'm working on my new ROTJ build. Thank you to RKD for the friggin' awesome work, you ROCK my botha.

I'm in the process of painting the armor and it occurred to me; why is there yellow in between the green and chrome? Not sure if this subject has been covered before. My theory is; Boba's original armor was yellow (holiday special) then he paint it green over it for the ESB/ROTJ era. Can you guys let me know if I'm in the right track or if I'm way off...Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its what actually painting metal looks like.. Think about it.. When you have a car, you sand it down to the metal (silver) then you lay the primer down which is usually black, gray or white depending on your top layer color (yellow for boba fett), then you lay down the actual color that you want your car to be, (green).

Also, think of the damage that happens when you get a fender bender.. A scratch can either be as deep as the clear coat that goes, or as deep into the metal, also anywhere in between. The colors that you see that are no where else on the suit, probably from hitting something else of that color. Ex. if your red car was to bump a white car, you may see white on your car from where you hit it. Same difference..

Hope that helps

I always assumed that whoever painted it thought the green over silver was a bit bland, so they said eff it and painted some yellow around the damage for pizzazz. I am under the impression that the yellow is topically applied, which lends itself to this theory!

Thank you guys for your comments. I do have a HS costume (well not completely finished) and that's what got me thinking about the yellow in the paint job. I think it would be friggin' awesome if there was a connection between the two armors.

I always assumed that whoever painted it thought the green over silver was a bit bland, so they said eff it and painted some yellow around the damage for pizzazz. I am under the impression that the yellow is topically applied, which lends itself to this theory!

The yellow is topical, not all of the pieces have yellow added like in ESB...the right chest does not have yellow added. The yellow is zinc chromate mind you and it is the color of Aircraft primer... The helo I flew on's whole inside of the tail section is the same color as they don't paint a top coat inside that area just primer....so its all yellow inside the tail of the pavehawk. And when the paint gets scratched up you can see the yellow paint through the grey.

The reason behind why you don't see the yellow in some of the damage is because the primer (yellow) is doing its job by sticking to the paint (green). So it actually acting like its chipping from the metal (silver). I see this all the time in vehicle damage. Same reason why you see only yellow instead of silver. The paint (green) chipped away from the primer (yellow).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back