General Painting Methods and Tips

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Hey All,

I've scoured these forums for information about painting and weathering SINTRA-based Jango armor, and it seems like there are many different methods and options that all work well:

- Aluminum, Silver, or Chrome paint
- Clear coat finish or none
- Silver Rub n' Buff or none

Could all you Jangos please post your preferences and recommendations along with pictures of the resulting armor? It would be great to see a visual comparison of what everyone here has already done. Thanks!

Joren Fett

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Spray your armor with light grey primer.
2. Sand your primer till it's as smooth as a baby's butt.
3. Apply rub in buff and make sure to buff it so hard your skin on your hand melts.
4. Apply weathering with watered down acrylic paints and a sponge or cloth around the edges.

Foxbatkllr- that sounds like a really good method. You can also use some of the other Rub N' Buff colors for weathering.

Remember that Jango's Armor is Shiny but not pristine:D

~Bobby

Foxbatkllr wrote:

3. Apply rub in buff and make sure to buff it so hard your skin on your hand melts.
4. Apply weathering with watered down acrylic paints and a sponge or cloth around the edges.

Foxbatkllr wrote:

Exactly! :D

Thanks for the responses so far! I was hoping you'd all post pics next to your suggestions to illustrate the finished pieces. That would make a nice thread, especially for those of us who haven't yet decided how we want to do it.

There seems to be a solid concensus so far regarding the primer and rub n' buff method. What about all of the talk I've heard of aluminum or chrome paint before the rub n' buff? What about clear coats? And are your suggestions the same for the metallic surfaces of the helmet? Thanks again, and please keep the advice coming!

Joren Fett

From my own personal experiences, I would not spray with a chrome/aluminum/silver paint before applying rub n buff. I did that on my helmet and the rub n buff turned out uneven and not nearly as good as the rest of my armor for which I used the method I described in my previous post. Rub n buff is a wax and a lot of people have reported problems with clear coats not sticking to the rub n buff. I personally did not use a clear coat and I think most people don't either. The method for painting the silver parts of the helmet is the same as the rest of the armor.

you also might want to try using inks to get in all teh little cracks, etc, an to add to the overall "beaten" appearance....that is, if thats what u are going for
:p

Ok, now I've heard about a couple of different experiences with Rub N Buff with it drying all the way. Does it dry or do you have to worry about it coming off on your hands and what ever else comes into contact with it?

~Bobby

Future acrylic floor wax will seal RnB but it dulls it a bit. I have not tried to polish the wax after but I think this will bring back some sheen.

Interesting:) I might have to try that.

What if you don't use a sealer? Will it dry so you can handle it? Will it rub off onto your hands?

~Bobby

bigkidbiggertoys wrote:

Future acrylic floor wax will seal RnB but it dulls it a bit. I have not tried to polish the wax after but I think this will bring back some sheen.

Anybody here NOT use Rub N Buff? I'm having a bad time getting ahold of any, so I decided to go with paint. Except for weathering, there isn't much info that I can dig up on it.

Has anybody tried boot polish for weathering? I've got some left over from my Army days, but its old and dried up, so it probably won't work very well. I'm thinking about getting more, and its cheap and very available.

Also, with shoe polish or wax: use nylon pantyhose to buff up the surface. You can stretch it out and really work it hard over the surface, making lots of friction. I had my parade boots shiny like mirrors. Of course, it looked pretty silly when a bunch of Army guys walked into a store and all bought women's undergarments together that time. (That's probably why I've had the same set for seven years...)

I think wood furniture polish spray also works well to shine up surfaces. This has also been done to Army boots, but it doesn't work very well during drill; I'm told that all the polish comes flying off in large chunks because of all the stomping around.

I guess don't to any parade drill in your Jango suit if you use this stuff ;)

You don't have a Michaels near you? Rubb and Buff Should be in any major and even some minor craft stores. I used it on my helmet and I wouldn't go any other way, it dried up fine for me without a clear coat just look for the threads here about how to apply it a little bit goes a loooooooong way very thin layer to achieve the effect.

Whenever I handle my *ahem* no coments helmet I don't have any problems with the rub and buff coming off. Plus you get a cool silver surfer hand with blisters!!!

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back