painting and sanding...

Larith

Hunter
i just got done cutting out my armor. should i sand before i bend the armor? or does it matter? also what grit's should i use? do i have to sand the whole thing to make the paint stick?

when im sanding i usually go from 60 grit to 150 then to 220.im sure there are other grits but thats all they had at kmart.

i have yet to completely sand down the surface of the paint for it to stick.a can of primer before the base color worked fine for me.

Boba Freekk, what is your armor made of? 60 grit seems a little coarse to start. You could start with 100 or even 150 if it's Sintra. Shouldn't need to sand much at all. Just give the surface a little texture.

The sintra I have seen is already pretty smooth, and should on need the slight light sanding for a paint-friendly surface. If a sandable primer is used, this can also be worked with a fine grade paper to provide ultimate smoothiness.

Aaahhh.....smoothies.....

TK3130 wrote:

Boba Freekk, what is your armor made of? 60 grit seems a little coarse to start. You could start with 100 or even 150 if it's Sintra. Shouldn't need to sand much at all. Just give the surface a little texture.

all my armor is sintra.i should have explained that better.when im shaping and i have to take off a lot (like for edges and corners) ill use the 60 grit and work my way down to the finer grit.

if i do sand the painting surface (which isnt very often) ill usually go from 150 to 220.i noticed for surface sanding 150 still leaves small scrathes so ill drop down to a finer grit.

That sounds a lot better. With so much work to do, you don't need to make any more work for yourself. You had the right idea all along. :)

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back