Ord Mantell's ESB build

I’ve just read and combed over all 22 pages of your thread Ord Mantell and I have to say that I am amazed at your ESB build! There’s a LOT of good info and new reference for old timers like me. I finished my ESB back in 2006 but have been re-visiting things that just didn’t have the references that exist today and began making improvements to just about everything without major replacement of armor,helmet,jet pack,etc. It’s been fun reading and learning what’s new and going back to an old friend that has sat idle on a mannequin for nearly 10 years. Kudos on raising the bar yet again ❗

I’ve just read and combed over all 22 pages of your thread Ord Mantell and I have to say that I am amazed at your ESB build! There’s a LOT of good info and new reference for old timers like me. I finished my ESB back in 2006 but have been re-visiting things that just didn’t have the references that exist today and began making improvements to just about everything without major replacement of armor,helmet,jet pack,etc. It’s been fun reading and learning what’s new and going back to an old friend that has sat idle on a mannequin for nearly 10 years. Kudos on raising the bar yet again ❗
Thank you DL! I feel like I you deserve some kind of reward for going through all 22 pages! And this might be the last page, or maybe one or two more. Getting close to the end of the journey finally. You know, originally this thread was titled 'ESB build after a decade on hold' so you're not alone in having a manny sitting idle for ten years.

Ord Mantell Was the Warmachine wood stock easy to install on the sidewinder kit? Did you have any compatibility issues?
This is a terrific question. The quick answer is no. the nuanced answer is, the D bracket of the Sidewinder kit is not a 100% snug fit on the wood stock. And the holes for the screws in the bracket are smaller than the screws which are used to attach the FieldMarshall stock. It's necessary to drill out those holes a tiny bit bigger. But the Sidewinder bracket is made of aluminum which is pretty easy to drill that out. Alignment of the holes didn't present a problem either.

This is a terrific question. The quick answer is no. the nuanced answer is, the D bracket of the Sidewinder kit is not a 100% snug fit on the wood stock. And the holes for the screws in the bracket are smaller than the screws which are used to attach the FieldMarshall stock. It's necessary to drill out those holes a tiny bit bigger. But the Sidewinder bracket is made of aluminum which is pretty easy to drill that out. Alignment of the holes didn't present a problem either.
Good to know! I know warmachine makes an excellent ee3, but I never saw it as practical for my needs because I need something light for trooping. Its also pretty expensive. So I was thinking of heavily modding a sidewinder kit, to the point where I'm just using the main body from sidewinder. Glad to see someone else had a same idea!

Finally got an original Letraset sheet in fantastic shape so I can do the helmet runes closer to how they looked on the original during filming in 1978.

RafalFett has a terrific post on this sheet here: Letraset Dry Transfer Font - Folio Bold Condensed.

letrasetebay.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
letrasetebay copy.jpg

you can also make runes for the PP1 and PP2 jetpacks:

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 5.08.05 PM.png

I lost 650.00 for a jet pack I purchased for my esb, which Fettpride said he would complete, This build is amazing!!! Awesome job!!! It’s hard to be motivated when you get burned. That was the finally piece to be completed for my esb,

ConvergenceProp has been working for a long while on this awesome ESB flamethrower and partnered with MinuteFett to finally bring it to the community. This is a CG render (bottom) of the new flamethrower to compare it to a screen cap of the original (top).

7946E28A-350C-4FB5-9180-17DFEAED4F08.JPG

This little puppy (and it's much smaller and compact than people are used to!) sets a whole new standard for this piece no other previous version can touch. ConvergenceProps is doing a write-up detailing lots of very interesting details including a found part that's at the heart of it. And MinuteFett will be making these available very soon. Really looking forward to getting this on the new gauntlets.

I updated this information on the last page of my helmet electronics post, but I will put it here as a fresh update for anyone who missed it.

The two red LEDs in the Fett rangefinder are a specific type of LED which became obsolete by the 1980's. They haven't been manufactured since the late 1970's. They are the Fairchild FLV102.

IMG_0799 2.jpg

These differ from the common modern type in several ways, but most notably, they are much darker when not lit. They used a darker red plastic to cut down on ambient light interference since the light output of LEDs at the time were often not high enough to counter ambient light under some conditions. This made it hard to tell if they were on or not. So for a time, these were the best LEDs on the market until light output dramatically increased and ambient light was no longer an issue.

LEDaccuratevnot.jpg

The flv102's in action:

why the RS is more likely?
Two reasons

1) RS Components was the go-to source for a lot, if not most, of Fett's electronics, which were completed in England. Alco is American.
2) Someone I trust has verified for me the RS 339-241 is indeed the correct part.

Hopefully those with evidence will share when they can someday. Otherwise, I see no problem using Alco if that's what you have. Which is what I was curious to find out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back