My Shin Tools and Thanks!

clmayfield

Active Hunter
So a quick story first... I was at Lowe's buying some materials to put the finishing touches on my helmet, when a guy stops me and asks me where I bought my helmet. I told him that I made it myself. So he asks me what I casted it from... then I kind of backtracked, because I didn't "make" the helmet, really. Fett Pride casted the helmet. I got the electronics kit from salamanderking and the visor from t-visor.com. And Dakota from MachineCraft machined the hollow stalk. And the Rangefinder topper was a RafalFett design ordered from Shapeways. And I used RafalFett's template... and the whole TDH posted advise on color selection, painting technique, and weathering. Oh, and the airbrush I bought from bcurtis.

But here is the truth of it... nobody here makes their entire costume. We lean heavily on each other's expertise and someone makes this part or that part and sells it. But that is the wonderful thing about TDH... together, we make far better costumes than we ever could apart. So thanks to everyone here for helping deliver to me an incredible build that I hope I will finish soon!

Which brings me to my shin tools... I can actually say that I built these from scratch from found parts using instructions found right here. So if anyone asks, I can legitimately say I built these (with special thanks to The5thHorseman... his shin tool build thread should be a sticky: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=52156 ). I should note that I built all of these to bottom out in the pockets of my flight suit. I believe the pockets to be a bit deep, so they don't look 100% correct, but when in the pocket, they look perfect! I would show pictures of the tools in the pockets, but my suit is in the shop for some alterations.

Thanks for reading!

Shin%20Tools_zps8rrs59kr.jpg

You brought your helmet with you to Lowes? Nice shin tools. These are actually pieces that could be built from scratch. I'm surprised there aren't templates for the Patterson. I bought mine before the dented helmet existed. I was told to cut in half, which in incorrect.

You brought your helmet with you to Lowes? Nice shin tools. These are actually pieces that could be built from scratch. I'm surprised there aren't templates for the Patterson. I bought mine before the dented helmet existed. I was told to cut in half, which in incorrect.

There are shin tool templates here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=13696 . However, I was advised to fit the tools to my pockets and that was good advice. While they look a bit off dimensionally, especially the anti-security blade, which appears to have an arm that is too short and a body that is too tall (both are true because my pockets were a bit deep), they stay put in my shin pockets. Had I made my anti-security blade to the appropriate dimensions, it would fall down in my pocket after walking around for a while.

As to Lowe's... I wasn't wearing the helmet, I just brought it along to size some screws for assembly. There was also an attractive woman who commented on it as well. She said it looked banged up.

I can't wait to get the whole suit together. I am so jealous of all of these guys who are able to go out in completed suits! All I have left at this point is the JP and the gauntlets. I am also going to need to to some additional weathering of the shoes and toe spikes and I need to cut the straps on my girth belt. Oh, and my holster. And I just bought a new Pulce... and on and on and on.

Did not know about the templates. I didn't actually think you wore the suit to Lowes. Ace Hardware has the best selection of screws/bolts. I am there all the time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back