My SCRATCH-BUILT BOOTS - FINALLY DONE!!!

DarthVader1

Well-Known Hunter
Like I said before in another thread, these are the pair of sneakers I got from Walmart for $10. They look exactly like the old Adidas shoes used by RUN DMC 8) in the mid-late '80's...only GENERIC.

DZOT[VPXXE-DZNBPHNPQKRONUYCIIKP-BaseBoots1.png

PVDPVEGBLV-GLVFASLKQNLMORJOWIYK-BaseBoots2.png

Complete all-around, flat sole.
Planning of using canvas as the boot body, black piping for the lines sewing together the different pieces of the canvas.

I just can't find the freakin' Epoxy Putty anywhere...I had the same problem as mcabrera, he can't find it anywhere...and he's in California! I'm in the middle of nowhere (mid-west Louisiana). So, what do you think? I'll be posting on my progress, and if anyone could help me out with the "Epoxy Putty", please let me know.

Robert

I think you might have something there, Vader1. I never really noticed how much those soles work for the look we're after. Since I know nothing about shoe work, I guess your biggest problem would be:
Survey says:
1.squaring the toe

Would you be covering the rest with canvas, or rebuilding the whole thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
About squaring the sole,...NO PROBLEM! I have the plan already in my mind...but all I need at this point is to get the "Epoxy Putty" to start with it. Once I get it (if someone could help me out find the EP, I'll appediate it), I could start then to cover the seam it has around the sole. Once the sole is squared, that's the beginning of the whole odissey, and the most important one of course.

All I have to do afterwards is with the help of the "should-be-squared" sole, I use then an aluminum bar, as TK-409 did, make the pattern with the shoes' dimensions and start working with the canvas. Hope everything goes well, as I have forseen it!

Robert

Robert, I agree with MM on the toe-squaring challenge you're gonna' face. However, I was also wondering about covering it with canvas or rebuilding it as well. Either way, I'm concerned as to how much ankle support there will be if you cover it with canvas. I, also, am not a shoe-building expert, but I'm imagining that the area of the lower ankle might end up looking a little droopy if there's no support under there. If you were making Jango boots, I'd say you might be able to get away with it, as his pant legs cover that area, but with Boba it's pretty much a featured spot, particularly if you're sporting the spats. Getting to the point, I'm wondering if Adidas didn't make a high-top or medium cut shoe with the same style sole you have there (from back in the 80's), like a common pair of Converse All-Stars, that typically gets discussed as an idea for a base shoe around here. Sneakers with higher ankle cuts like that would provide you with the support you're probably going to need.
Anyway...just my couple cents worth. :)

Just like I said before, I'll be doing a lot of mods to it. There will be even be a support IN THE FRONT under the canvas so it could have the "square shape" i want on the toes area. The canvas will be aligned with the shape of the sole, of course. Once I have the sole done, the rest for me will be a piece of cake.
As for the support for the back, I'm not actually looking for "accurateness", but you just gave me an idea for the back of the boot as well, planning to do some kind of support and/or reinforcement for the back just like the way I mentioned above, to look like a one piece boot, which will be as accurate as possible, but I won't use it as a way to put the boot on (pulling it), if I glue the canvas to the sole.
But undecided if to add a ziper or not to it, that's my big question. If I do, the decision is in between the inner side of the boot or in the back, which makes me think that the first option will be the better one (on the inner-facing side), like Boba Phat did with his (I think).

Robert

I'm not at this part of my costume yet so I have no input, but I would like to see the transformation of these into Boba's. I never underestimate the abilities of our members, they always surprise me of their creativity, so I'm rooting for you Robert(y).

I'm still looking for good platform shoes with white soles to make me look taller:D
(no I mean for everyday wear, not for my Boba costume:D)

I've never seen Addidas shell toes with four stripes!
Sole looks pretty dead on though.

micke wrote:

I've never seen Addidas shell toes with four stripes!
Sole looks pretty dead on though.

Remember guys, these are a GENERIC brand from Walmart I've got for just $10. I even got a pair of sneakers that I just paid $20 that look exactly like AIR NIKE shoes, and I use them everyday for running, and they're called "AIR NICE" (coincidence?) :D

Robert

Nerf-Herder wrote:

Getting to the point, I'm wondering if Adidas didn't make a high-top or medium cut shoe with the same style sole you have there (from back in the 80's), like a common pair of Converse All-Stars, that typically gets discussed as an idea for a base shoe around here. Sneakers with higher ankle cuts like that would provide you with the support you're probably going to need.
Anyway...just my couple cents worth. :)
The high-cut adidas shell-toe is very hard to find. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they were discontinued awhile back. Of course the U.S. might be different, but I had a pair of these about 6 years ago, and I've been looking for another pair ever since, to no avail. I live in Ontario, and location may affect availablity. Keep us posted on your progress. I might have to try it with my old shell-toes.

I'm testing at this time a bleaching process (the same one I'm using for my jumpsuit) with black canvas I got from Walmart to do the boot. If the experiment works out good, I'm gonna use three pieces of the canvas, and bleach them in 3 different tones of grey or just 2 tones of grey and one black (boot outside parts and "tear drop". Let's have my fingers crossed for this one...I'll be posting progress....

Robert

Well, results of trial and error...BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!:angry
I left the piece of black canvas not even 20 minutes in the mix of bleach-water, and it turned out like a BURGUNDY color, almost just like the color of the grith (rope) belt for ROTJ Boba. At least, I'll save a good piece of black canvas for the "tear drop", and go back to Walmart to buy the white canvas...I'll paint the bastard this time!

Thinking about the same primer color (grey) to paint them and for the middle section, some flat grey then. If anyone agrees/disagree or have a different opinion, this thread is open for suggestions.

Robert

I just got the white/tan colored ducking/canvas material today. Now I'm gonna start right with this project. I'm keeping the black one for the "tear drops"...just in case.

BTW...can someone help me out and find the feakin' "Epoxy Putty"? If someone has some or has the ease of find some, I need at least two of those to start with. If so, please PM me, so I could start with the precise measurements deal with this project.

Robert

DarthVader1 wrote:

BTW...can someone help me out and find the feakin' "Epoxy Putty"? If someone has some or has the ease of find some, I need at least two of those to start with.
It's pretty easy to find in just about any hardware store. It will be in the plumbing section. The kind I found comes in a blue and white round container. When you squish the two parts together (the putty and the hardner), it puts out one stinky smell.

Thanks BF, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Besides, I thought it was coming in a little package like a little cilinder of some kind of grey "clay", similar like the ones children use to play with in school....probably I was just dreaming about it. Well, let me head to Lowe's now...

Robert

I'm kind of late updating this thread...

Almost three weeks ago, I received the Epoxy Putty I was looking for in the mail (thanks Boba Phat!) I'll be working with this project pretty soon, cause I was unable to do anything because of my surgery and then a week vacation afterwards, and completing the rest of my costume, which I'm almost done, just a few little details left.

Robert

BobaFettish wrote:

It's pretty easy to find in just about any hardware store. It will be in the plumbing section. The kind I found comes in a blue and white round container. When you squish the two parts together (the putty and the hardner), it puts out one stinky smell.

I found it at Home Depot.

Another thing about that putty. When it dries, it IS FOREVER. I used to make lightsaber hilts, and I used this expoy putty to build up the small activation boxes. The finished piece dried so hard, it was darn near impossible to sand without a rotary tool.

Robert, I think if you use this stuff to square off the toe, you'll be alright. You might want to look at bracing it on the bottom somehow. It would suck to have that chunk of concrete break off while you're walking.

I guess that not all the HD's or Lowes have the same things. In Louisiana (and sorry if someone lives or was born here) you could find NOTHING AT ALL, specially when looking for Fett stuff (what a shame that Britney Spears came from here!). I even traveled almost 2 hours to the HD in another city and they didn't have it either, so that's why I had to use my "Plan B" (thanks again, Boba Phat).

About how to brace it...I have to find a way to do that, which I think that once you bolt the aluminum bar to the shoe, I think that will give it enough strengh. But this boot is in the meanwhile, until I get Jango_Wes' boots, as a back-up boot just in case. Glad you mentioned about that.

Robert

My SCRATCH-BUILT BOOTS - ALMOST DONE!

Finally, i got my own sewing machine (a miniature one, but hey!...it works!)

I'm working with my scratch built boots...and they're looking good so far. :love Probably I change this thread for something like: "Make-it-yourself" boots - TUTORIAL.

I'll be posting pics of the progress so far tonight.

All right, here are the pics I promised:

This are the sneakers with the Epoxy Putty, that reminds me that I have to use the dremmel tool for the left side.

YDSEB-boots-toes2.png

FGYNK-boots-toes.png

Now, with the canvas pieces cutted to shape and dimensions,

MJPXH-boots-toes3.png

Pieces sewn together, and ready to glue together,

RDFEJ-boots0015.png

WLRQJ-boots0016.png

The aluminum bar you see in the front is for reference only (that's the helmet bracket), but the bars are longer and slightly thicker than the one shown. I used a wood dowel for the spikes (look like pencils, but they aren't), and shape them with a pencil sharpener in both sides. I'll be cutting those two dowels in half and to shape them to fit in the brackets...

Hope you like what you see. I feel that the Force is really strong with me this time. :D

Robert

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back