My Life-size 1:1 R2-D2 (2nd Attempt)

azheat01

Active Hunter
I thought I would share this here and maybe inspire others. I'm also on Atromech.net as they are a tremendous resource. I wanted to try my hand at another 1:1 R2. I got my hands on a DroidBoy kit over a decade ago and that one turned out OK for a first attempt with no experience (picture below), but with the evolution of 3D printing, a little increased skill, and the amount of new resources available, I wanted to try and see if I could do better.

Here's my first attempt from I believe 2012, I added light and sound, but it was purely static..........

65.JPG

Now I'm going with Mr. Baddelley's R2-D2 files and they are amazing! I also upgraded to a new printer, a Bambu Labs A1, and it's awesome (despite the current recall which hasn't affected me).

I got to printing and now have the dome, dome rings, dome panels, dome greeblies, and main body done. I began assembly on the dome as I started printing the skirt, legs, and body panels. Really excited for this project, let's see how it turns out...........

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

Looking good so far!

A Baddelley R2 is definitely on my list of things to do, so look forward to seeing your progress!

Sean

I was able to print one of these up as my COVID project. Kind of stalled out on sanding the main body but I completed the dome. Definitely looks great though. Keep it up!

Well, as with any project like this, it's been slow going; sanding, bondo, more sanding, primer, more sanding, more bondo, etc, etc. I'm printing up the final leg greebles now and then all I have left are the feet and battery boxes. I finished printing most of the main leg parts and sanded those; real pleased with how they came out. I just need to bondo the seams, sand that, and then I can get those primed and sanded for paint. It'll be nice to get past this printing and sanding phase.

On a side note, this Bambu Labs A1 is a beast, been running this thing non-stop for two weeks and I've only had 3 failed prints, mostly my fault for how I placed the objects on the bed. I also love using Bambu Studios, still trying to navigate it since I've been using Cura for years, but it's great.

Anyways, slow and steady...........

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

Got a little sidetracked and lost some time on this project, but after a month, I've finally finished printing, sanding, bondoing, priming, and again sanding almost 400 pieces. I'm looking forward to putting some color on these and assembling.

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

I did run into a frustrating snag these last two days. I've never used Dupli-color paints, but wanted to go with the Sonic Blue Pearl since I couldn't find anything else close enough to my liking. Three different cans from two stores and the paint kept bubbling on the nozzle causing some terrible splatter and orange peel. I tried everything; cleaning the nozzle with a wire brush and pins, soaking the nozzle in thinner, storing it inside, etc, etc, and nothing worked.

Eventually I just put a paper towel next to my spray booth and did one or two quick passes, then dabbed the nozzle on the paper towel and repeated; incredibly frustrating. I thought maybe I had a bad can, but all three did this. I had the same problem with my Montana Black paints which is why I stopped using them. Never had this issue with Krylon or Rustoleum. Needless to say when the blue is done, I won't be using Dupli-color again. I love their primer, but at $16-$17 for this small can......no thanks. I had to re-sand a half dozen of these pieces and start over.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

I did manage to get all the dome pieces painted and clear coated, but what a hassle. I'll give those a few days to dry and then do a round of buffing.

IMG_0660.JPG

Moving right along..........

Last edited:
Ugh, that must have been so frustrating… glad you were able to work around it though!

I know the MG paints are notorious for having crappy nozzles, but I’ve, personally, never had an issue with Dupli-Color. Maybe they changes their nozzles…?

R2 is looking good!

Sean

Today was a great milestone, I really wanted to finish the dome and get it out of the garage and into the house. Real pleased with how it looks, despite a few minor issues. Also wired the Teeces lights to activate with a remote. I took apart one of those LED light bars and wired it to the lights in the dome so I could quickly turn them on and off. I have two more; going to use one for the Data and Charging port LEDs and one for an audio module. This is a good solution until I decide how I want to power this R2 since it's going to be a static display for now.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

Time to start on the body next..........

Weird question...did you try and waring your dulpicolor paint up first with warm water?
I did not, I was told to do that with my MG paints, and it still didn't work. I was painting in the garage and it was almost 90 degrees, so I would have hoped the ambient temperature would have helped.

I still have to paint the blue body details, so I'll give that a shot!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back