Marrow Sun questons

Furious

Active Hunter
So I have a Marrow Sun Bucket that bought from him way back in like 2006. I am not entirely sure f it is v1 or v2. I know it has a direct lineage to the Pre Pro 2. My question I guess is ; is this still considered one of the best to have or have the more recent works kinda taken over as being more accurate? I am not as well versed as many of you are on all the different helmets throughout the years because I have been out of it for so long. What if any are some of the things that might not be as accurate on the MS? I have been debating on whether to repaint it or not because it was my first bucket and I really didn't know what I was doing at the time.

FPH2 is the most accurate to date. The MS is still a nice helmet though. If you want super up to date accuracy the FPH2 is likely your best bet.

It's been the better part of a decade since I first worked on a Marrow Sun helmet. Sheesh. . . has it been that long??
At the time, the MS (and the Sgt. Fang) were pretty much at the top of the heap accuracy-wise. Since then, there
have been several helmets that have surpassed it in size/detail. As several people have mentioned, the FPH2 is the
new "heavy hitter" in the community. The MR helmet, the Bobamaker, and the TerminalFettler lids are some other
ones that, in my opinion, are more accurate than Jordy's good old MS line.

As far as "things that might not be as accurate" on the MS, here are some pics to illustrate. This was a build I did
in 2007. First off, the bottom of the rear panels appears slightly sunken. Whether that was due to the source helmet
or the molding process is unknown, at least to me. Also in this first pic, you can see that the curve of the outer corner
of the cheek is too pronounced. Jordy corrected this on one of his revisions.

IMG_4770arrows_zpsc0745822.jpg

Next, the angle of the bottom of the ear platforms (the red area) was off.

IMG_4770arrows2_zpsa8a24ad5.jpg

Finally, the "turn signals" on the front of the dome weren't level. The left side was noticeably closer to
the brow rim than the right side.

IMG_4763arrows_zpsde233477.jpg

There might have been other issues, but those are the ones the pop into my head.

This was an MS1 by the way. I can't remember if he corrected some or all of these issues on the
MS2 or the MS3. It was a great lid, but as better reference came to light, it improved the offerings
of more recent helmet makers.

Wow, thanks for that write up! So obviously mine is an MS1. I can tell from what you pointed out. I am pretty sure I read somewhere he corrected the cheek curve and the turn signals.

think I'll just repaint this one and use it as a display piece. Kind of a nice piece of Fett builders history to have. I actually thought of maybe selling it.

Ol SJ is a well spring of Fett knowledge! Really seems like a nice looking helmet, even with the flaws.Personally I like the old Sft Fang lids also, but they look like newer incarnations of them have shrunk some. Cool history lesson for some of us newer folks.....I'd say keep her.

Last edited by a moderator:
If memory serves, the most notable MS2 identifier, was it's somewhat exaggerated dome height, appearing much taller in the dome than most other helmets. I believe he reversed that on the MS3. It's certainly possible I have it backward between the 2 and 3.. But all three were in fact mystery helmet bases.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for that write up! So obviously mine is an MS1. I can tell from what you pointed out. I am pretty sure I read somewhere he corrected the cheek curve and the turn signals.

think I'll just repaint this one and use it as a display piece. Kind of a nice piece of Fett builders history to have. I actually thought of maybe selling it.

No problem. :) If it were mine, I'd keep it for the nostalgia factor. Over the past 7 or 8 years I've worked on at least one each of the
MS1, MS2, and MS3. Not to mention a couple of Sgt. Fangs. I kinda wish I still had one in my collection, LOL.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back