Making Red washer / gasket / o-ring for Knee Darts

clmayfield

Active Hunter
I thought about whether to put this in my other knee pad thread, but I think it is worth another thread here. My original thread on making my knee pads is found here:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=56980

One of the problems that I had was trying to find the appropriate colored rings for the knee darts. Black rubber washer / o-ring / gaskets are relatively easy to find. However, red gaskets are really tough to find. I had an idea to pour some in place using Plastidip. It was kind of expensive (seeing that I only needed one red o-ring), but it delivered me what I wanted in the right color.

Here are the tools I used (painter's tape not pictured). Plastidip, a medicine dropper (small syringe will work as well), and a cuticle trimmer:

Knee%20Pad%20Gasket%20Tools_zps9vpxnzfy.jpg

I recommend getting the red plasidip straight out of a can, but all they had was the aeresol. The problem with the aeresol is that it still contains gases from the aeresol can, which results in bubbles.

I sprayed the plastidip over a piece of wax paper until it was thick. Then, I sucked it up in the medicine dropper. I tried this once without the medicine dropper and the result was that I got plastidip all over the walls, which was very difficult to remove. The next picture is of that first effort (without the medicine dropper).

Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Pour_zpsscexhjmf.jpg

In my second effort, I only used painter's tape on the outer layer as the inner layer of painter's tape was difficult to remove. The plastidip kept wanting to stick to it. I let it dry in place overnight and ended up with a nice o-ring. There were two problems, though. One was that residual plastidip had climbed up the sides of the painter's tape. That is where the cuticle trimmers came into play. THey made a very nice straight trim of the excess plastidip. Don't tell your wife you are doing this.

The second issue is the bubbling from the aeresol gases. I fixed this by sliding the o-ring off, flipping it over, and gluing to the dart with CA glue. And here are the results.

Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Side_zps4saqtyls.jpg

Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black_zpskb5xqooy.jpg

Please note that I ended up using a good old fashioned black o-ring for the black. I had to expand the hole in the center with a drill and a dremel and had to sand it down to get the thickness right.

Attachments

• Knee%20Pad%20Gasket%20Tools_zps9vpxnzfy.jpg
    Knee%20Pad%20Gasket%20Tools_zps9vpxnzfy.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Pour_zpsscexhjmf.jpg
    Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Pour_zpsscexhjmf.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Side_zps4saqtyls.jpg
    Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black%20Side_zps4saqtyls.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black_zpskb5xqooy.jpg
    Knee%20Pads%20Red%20Black_zpskb5xqooy.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 222
I wasn't aware that these were o-rings. I thought the ends were just painted. That is what it appears to me as being. ???

Look at the texture. That's not paint. The black one looks kind of like brake pads. The red one looks like thin plastic.

the red one is definitely painted. 99.99% sure the black one is too but may just have come into contact with something at some point that left an impression... these are reversed, indicating they are interchangeable and subject to mishandling. they are painted for sure...

a3c51c89a38e54a3adb3791b20cc097f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• a3c51c89a38e54a3adb3791b20cc097f.jpg
    a3c51c89a38e54a3adb3791b20cc097f.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 241
I got into a discussion about this at Celebration and had never heard it before. I think they are painted myself although I can't explain the texture . The bend in the red one could be a radius on the surface where the tube part meets the base

Those are two separate pieces done two separate ways. It is impossible for me to look at the black part of the picture I posted and think that it was painted. It looks ripped in parts and has an interesting almost diamond texture. I said brake pads, but not quite like those. It looks like something familiar I can't quite place.

I didn't nail it with my plastidip washer, but perhaps a layer of plastidip might create this effect where it is rounded where the floor meets the sidewall. It looks almost like red electrical tape, but it couldn't be because there are no seams.

In JBDubz' pic, the black dart definitely looks painted.

On the Red Knee Dart, definitely is just the shape of the metal, the painted edge is not 100% flat, there's a slight groove to it. You can tell by the tiny scratched off portions of red paint, that's too thin to be an O Ring or something other than paint. Good eye checking it out though. (y)

not to beat a dead horse but here are the PP1 knees that eventually became PP3 and ultimately ESB... definitely painted.

Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-11.jpg

Attachments

• Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-11.jpg
    Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-11.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 236
Those are two separate pieces done two separate ways. It is impossible for me to look at the black part of the picture I posted and think that it was painted. It looks ripped in parts and has an interesting almost diamond texture. I said brake pads, but not quite like those. It looks like something familiar I can't quite place.

I didn't nail it with my plastidip washer, but perhaps a layer of plastidip might create this effect where it is rounded where the floor meets the sidewall. It looks almost like red electrical tape, but it couldn't be because there are no seams.

In JBDubz' pic, the black dart definitely looks painted.

It looks textured almost like grip tape on a skate board thin and black

Sent from my iPhone

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back