JOATRASH FX Mando blaster build

tennantlim

Active Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Ever since teaser photos and videos of The Mandalorian were released, I knew I had to build this blaster. Loads of 3D files and kits popped up even before the series premiered but I decided to wait for accurate kits/files to emerge. When JOATRASH FX from RPF announced he was working on his kit, I jumped in blindfolded and hands tied behind my back. His attention to accuracies and details is well known so I know this blaster is going to be kickass! And boy he sure didn't disappoint.
IMG-20200529-215645.jpg

I got walnut grips from another RPF member Justin Rowan that were crafted exclusively for this kit.
IMG-20200602-220653-01.jpg

To replicate the patina on a well-used steel gun, I sanded the gun frames to a smooth finish, concluding by wetsanding with 2000 grit paper. They are spray painted gloss black and let dry for 24 hours. I rubbed graphite powder thoroughly onto them and dabbed heavily thinned flat black acrylic ( I used AK Interactive) over with a soaked cotton ball. The graphite powder somewhat repels the paint, resulting in a faux patina effect that I like. Again, I let this dry for at least 24 hours. No clear or top coat is required.
IMG-20200612-094038.jpg

IMG-20200612-093706.jpg

Other modifications I made to the kit; used leather craft rivets for the pins on the gun frame
Photo-Grid-1592654925966.png

Real hex nut for the hammer strike
IMG-20200602-220253.jpg

IMG-20200602-220343-01.jpg

Fabricated the rod holder out of brass sheet.
Photo-Grid-1592653981774.png

Flame-blued M6 slotted cheesehead screw for the plunger retainer
Photo-Grid-1592653956690.png

Last edited:
That is awesome. Now I want to build one. I have been looking to see if Denix is going to release a Bergmann pistol. I haven't done an actual replica build yet, but am getting ready to do Greedo's DT-12 and just waiting for the greeblies to show up.

Love those walnut grips!
Amazing job with your paint and details. This blaster is worthy to be carried by your side. Looks like the real deal to me.

That is awesome. Now I want to build one. I have been looking to see if Denix is going to release a Bergmann pistol. I haven't done an actual replica build yet, but am getting ready to do Greedo's DT-12 and just waiting for the greeblies to show up.
Love those walnut grips!
Amazing job with your paint and details. This blaster is worthy to be carried by your side. Looks like the real deal to me.

Thanks guys! It helps that the kit is a joy to build.

Looks fantastic, I've been wanting to try graphite powder so I may follow your method.

I bought his prototype print off him & getting ready to do the work. Did you just use super glue to attach everything?

Damn, thats incredible looking. I investigated the cost of his kits and yowch! Well worth it, it seems, but way more than I can justify.

I will concur the cost is a tad extravagant, but I feel the investment is justified by the level of design accuracy and premium quality of the print.

Looks fantastic, I've been wanting to try graphite powder so I may follow your method.

I bought his prototype print off him & getting ready to do the work. Did you just use super glue to attach everything?

Yup super glue works just fine. All the best with your build and I look forward to seeing it!

Hey did your hammer have the lines on it so your thumb can grip it enough to pull it back? I just finished WarMachine's replica kit and that aluminum part is smooth, so it's hard to use only your thump to pull it back.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back