Iron Man 3d model for Pepakura

dung0beetle

Active Hunter
I am modeling Iron Man for a Pepakura costume. It is still W.I.P. so there are some things that are not movie accurate, but I hope to get it fixed soon.
I have been having some trouble getting the open edges within the mesh closed up, so if anyone knows how to do this in Milkshape 3d, please let me know.

Here's a progression of what I have done.
Iron%20Manwip.gif

Get the file Here!
First try: no reference pics, jaw is funky and overall shape is off.

Iron%20Manwip2.gif

Get the update Here!
Second attempt: Reference pics used, but model is "chunky" lots of bondo needed here.

Iron%20Manwip3.gif

Get the update Here!
Third attempt: I basically just cleaned up the second one, now the top/back of the head are much smoother.

The files are .obj and can be opened in Pepakura Designer or any 3d modeling program.

I will be cleaning this up a bit more and adding the indentations in the back, and then moving on to the chest and shoulders.

Give me some criticism, I have been staring at this model too long to know what else I have done wrong. :facepalm

I have gotten better reference pics and have modeled a new helmet. There are still some tweaks I need to do, such as the notches in the back, but here is what I have:
newhelmet.gif

Please excuse the "lighting", pepakura doesn't give a decent light source.

wow:eek: that is looking SUPER nice. I think I'm going to postpone building an Iron Man helmet till you're done with your model :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have accurate measurements of the helmet? I have only found measurements for a non-wearable model that is not 1:1 scale. I have it scaled to 29.2 cm. in height, and when I did a test build, it came out huge.

I have gotten some messages from people who think that I "stole" the model fromhttp://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-iron-man-helmet-model/424900. I assure you that this is an original model made by me.
While I did use this model as a reference, I didn't reduce the polys and come up with what I have now. If you think this is the case, download it and reduce it yourself, and see what a mess you come up with. My model was mostly based on the pre-production sculpt pictures that were found on the web. Here is my model superimposed over the model in question.
overlay.gif

I know the bad rep that recasters have, and I don't want this to happen to me, but If anyone has issues with the similarities of the two models, please talk to me about it, I have the saved files of my work in progress. I can prove how the mesh was put together.
END RANT

I am doing a test build to see if I need to change anything. For instance, someone pointed out that the back of the jaw is a little too wide, but I am not sure if that is from the render or not. As soon as I have worked out any problems that come up, I will publish the model.

Looks good bro, though I wouldn't have done the ear parts like that. Bands would have been better to build than sections like that.

Just my thought.

Looks good bro, though I wouldn't have done the ear parts like that. Bands would have been better to build than sections like that.

Just my thought.
I agree, I was trying to get it into the least amount of pages, but I've fixed it. The way I had the face section was difficult to build as well.

I also found the problem making the jaw look too wide. There is an area on the cheeks that is sunk in slightly. So, I'm going to have to fix that before I release the file.

The model is finished, and I believe all the problems have been fixed.
I am charging a small fee for this file. Send me a pm for more info.
Final.gif

So whenever one of you finish it, please post up a finished pic of the pepped model, because I'd love to see what it looks like pepped. If I think it looks good, I might be interested in getting it ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back