How to Properly Weather

GharisonFord

New Hunter
Hello all! I will begin by saying that I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to cosplay. I've done a little bit in the past, but nothing as complex as a Boba Fett build.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a method to making the soft parts of the costume look weathered? I am looking at purchasing the MOW shoes and cape. They look excellent, but are in pristine condition. Is there a way to make these look weathered and dirty as they do in the films but without seriously damaging them? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I got both the cape and boots from MoW, I masked off the soles, sprayed some water over the boots and built up layers with watered down black acrylic, getting in the cracks and working my way up. dry brushed in some brown and gray to blend. once dry, I hit the soles with a dry brush of a little yellow, then with rubbing alcohol rubbed it in to look worn. dry brushed more black and brown. lightly building up all colors

447927efa9495f84d34c632f8e769f71.jpg

135d6a941d0de41ad93029bdf811ae20.jpg

as for the cape, took a sharpie and traced out the pattern. cut out the big holes and edges with scissors, then a steak knife and started fraying the edges and the holes. lightly misted flat black spray paint over a few holes and on the bottom

42d65d4a0430fdc9c63999b0d99bc903.jpg

0b48fded07dacb287bb2f026149661b2.jpg

71728e28fb8a32465fed2619a2b17a4b.jpg

hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G930T

Woah! That looks awesome! I'll have to borrow those methods from you, hehe. That looks great, Interceptor! Thanks for the info! \m/

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one other thing! Did you create those boot spikes yourself? Those look great too.

thanks man! hit me up anytime. as for the toe spikes, I got metal ones from Evo Props. they supposedly fit the boots but mine didn't. I ran up to Lowe's and found a half inch aluminium strip and made my own, using the same spikes though

Sent from my SM-G930T

I got both the cape and boots from MoW, I masked off the soles, sprayed some water over the boots and built up layers with watered down black acrylic, getting in the cracks and working my way up. dry brushed in some brown and gray to blend. once dry, I hit the soles with a dry brush of a little yellow, then with rubbing alcohol rubbed it in to look worn. dry brushed more black and brown. lightly building up all colors

447927efa9495f84d34c632f8e769f71.jpg

135d6a941d0de41ad93029bdf811ae20.jpg

as for the cape, took a sharpie and traced out the pattern. cut out the big holes and edges with scissors, then a steak knife and started fraying the edges and the holes. lightly misted flat black spray paint over a few holes and on the bottom

42d65d4a0430fdc9c63999b0d99bc903.jpg

0b48fded07dacb287bb2f026149661b2.jpg

71728e28fb8a32465fed2619a2b17a4b.jpg

hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G930T

Wow! Nice work! Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 151158

View attachment 151159

View attachment 151160

View attachment 151161

View attachment 151162

hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G930T
Great how to on the Cape weathering were did you get the pattern for the damage ?thankyou

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back