How serious is too serious?

Zombienoms

New Hunter
So I love Boba, I love cosplay, I love fun! One thing I've noticed on this forum is how serious people take the costume, which is totally fair but sometimes I get concerned about how down to gritty detail things go.

I mean I respect everyone here and the dedication is amazing but as a more doing it for fun guy I wonder if I'm going to get mocked for not having every Greeblie and shade of green right. Looking at the weathering and damage on the suit do people really match every nick perfectly? I mean I'm way too intimidated to even go near 501st but can I show off my suit and be casual without disrespecting anyone?

I try not to judge anyone's build unless they are being mean to someone else. Not everyone has the same skills nor budget to complete a 100% accurate suit and it seems most people are often upgrading their builds no matter how accurate they are.

I wear mine to shows incomplete currently and it has been pretty well received. If you are wearing it for comic con type events I think you have a 90% chance of no one even spotting any inaccuracies. It is kinda like cars. Lots of people will walk by cars at a car show and point out nice cars while those who are really familiar to with them will often be seeing whatever " flaw " there is. It doesn't make it a bad car... Just in the eyes of a purist some can pick out the finer details .

Build your suit how you want to and enjoy it. Odds are at shows most people will smile and get pics with you regardless of any greeblie

You will find that if you start building and you are enjoying this hobby you will begin to want the detail. It isn't for the crowds it is for your own satisfaction in a job well done. The fun thing about this hobby is that you can go to what ever level of accuracy you want.

I don't think you will be ridiculed about your build.

Just enjoy your time here on the board and in the hobby.

Go your own way man, whatever is good for you is good for you. The 501st is an excellent organisation (of which I am not a member) but even their highest standards will fall short of the standards of some individuals out there so the only goal should be to please yourself. I wouldn't worry about disrespecting anyone, after all we're talking about playing at dressing up here.

i agree with everything said previously. Only the anal retentive would notice the extreme tiny details, like myself lol, but id never judge anyone for not going the extra mile. So its really more for yourself than anything. I personally like to go the extra mile with these things, its just the way i am, with anything..including vintage BMX bikes and Cars. I enjoy having every detail i can manage, and i do it for myself. If your here, your in the right place and id bet even without the tiny details, if you so choose to pass em up, your suit will look great!

perfectly said ! This club is about making/completing a boba fett suit/costume.This club is a place where you come to for resources to build/complete your suit to what ever level (you) want. Be it it money-time-skill level-accuracy ect....it just comes down to what makes you happy !!
P.S. Welcome to one of the coolest clubs you will find on the interweb !!
Go your own way man, whatever is good for you is good for you. The 501st is an excellent organisation (of which I am not a member) but even their highest standards will fall short of the standards of some individuals out there so the only goal should be to please yourself. I wouldn't worry about disrespecting anyone, after all we're talking about playing at dressing up here.

Since seeing your title post I can't get Heath Ledger's Joker line out of my head: "Why so serious?"

But on topic, yup, everything has been said...

I have "discussions" with family and friends about this or that detail, say for instance how those are ESB gauntlets on a ROTJ Fett. They laugh and roll their eyes, very appropriately imo! We all (ok, I, me personally, not to generalize) take this hobby too seriously, but I think most of us enter and continue this journey for the fun of it (at least I do), to find a challenge (and as more and more detail has been documented on Fett, it can be an extreme one) and take it on and succeed. The amount of work that goes into any of these builds is incredible, and for my part I think some of the scratch builds are much more impressive than the highly accurate builds made from found parts. If you have fun and you're proud of what you accomplish, that's the final measure imo. If you can give back and help others to succeed, that's what makes the folks here special, and I'm happy to be part of this community.

Thank you guys for the encouragement I appreciate it. I'll be making a thread of my progress as it comes along and hopefully I can make something that I'll be proud of!

Don't be intimidated by the 501st standards. I have a 501st approved Fett and my suit has room for improvement. I didn't sweat the approval process because I did my homework here and learned where to get items from the right people. You'll receive way more encouragement than criticism here.

I'm sure you won't get mocked, ever, by fellow Dented Helmet folks. You may get unsolicited advice and critiques. My costume is far from perfect and not yet ready for 501st, but close. I say do it to your own standard, and realize that is most likely a moving target. Have fun... most people who will enjoy seeing you in public won't know a greeblie from a webley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just enjoy the experience. When I started out 10 years ago with my Boba, I fully intended to go 501st and have it 100% perfect. As the years have rolled by though, I have discovered that what makes me happy is more important than what makes others happy. My costume is now exactly how I want it, and I get great reviews where ever I go. Most people will not judge you here, but are willing to help if you truly want that 100% accuracy :)

This is def a good thread to read. Especially new people like myself. I'm always open to critique on my different costumes and tend to worry if someone is going to point out that it's not accurate or I have something that's attached in the wrong position. It's really good to read the feedback and understand that it's what we all love to do. The fact of reading people's WIP and the encouragement that members here show is awesome.

Frankly when I meet someone who's into the Fett thing and we get to talking about my costume (either when I'm wearing it or when it comes up otherwise) I am my own worst critic. Maybe I should just shut up! Usually though folks are amazed even though I point out flaws. Usually they're amazed that I made it, mostly from scratch. I like to show how my helmet is made from craft store parts and let them hold it or some other part to see how light it is.

Frankly when I meet someone who's into the Fett thing and we get to talking about my costume (either when I'm wearing it or when it comes up otherwise) I am my own worst critic. Maybe I should just shut up! Usually though folks are amazed even though I point out flaws. Usually they're amazed that I made it, mostly from scratch. I like to show how my helmet is made from craft store parts and let them hold it or some other part to see how light it is.

hahaha That's EXACTLY how I am to be honest, something I hate to admit but it feels awesome when you can show off your own work.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back