How did Boba Fett, the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy, end up being unintentionally shoved into the Sarlacc pit by a blind idiot?

luffy12

New Hunter
The Sarlacc sequence works great if Boba is simply a one-off henchman, but with all the mythology, attention, and backstory building him up as the galaxy's biggest badass, it doesn't make sense. It'd be as if Dooku perished as a result of tripping over his own lightsaber.

It's nice that Boba Fett has survived and has a chance to be a badass again, but I can't help but think of the Book of Boba Fett as the programme about the person who spent years healing after a blind idiot unintentionally knocked him into a hole.

How does the scene make sense if that's the same person that wrecked everything in Mandalorian?

Last edited:
In universe explanation? There’s nothing great there that’s going to satisfy you.

Behind the scenes explanation? George was reportedly going to use Fett as the big bad in Jedi, but changed his mind so he ended up dumping him in the Tatooine garbage chute.

Fett had tons of money spent on his costume development *and* had nearly six full costumes built. That doesn’t indicate that he was supposed to go out the way he ended up going out in Jedi.

In universe explanation? There’s nothing great there that’s going to satisfy you.

Behind the scenes explanation? George was reportedly going to use Fett as the big bad in Jedi, but changed his mind so he ended up dumping him in the Tatooine garbage chute.

Fett had tons of money spent on his costume development *and* had nearly six full costumes built. That doesn’t indicate that he was supposed to go out the way he ended up going out in Jedi.

It is quite frustrating how little George Lucas did with some really awesome characters that he was responsible for creating

You're asking how this could happen? In a movie where 3 foot tall bears destroy the Imperial war machine? :D I agree though, it seems odd considering how BA he's supposed to be. But it was the 1980s... continuity and lore didn't exist to the level it does today.

You're asking how this could happen? In a movie where 3 foot tall bears destroy the Imperial war machine? :D I agree though, it seems odd considering how BA he's supposed to be. But it was the 1980s... continuity and lore didn't exist to the level it does today.
Yeah Boba being taken out like that was one of my problems with Jedi, the Ewoks taking out the Empires finest troops was another Big issue as well for me. This probably marks the beginning of where things started to go off track ie Jar Jar and that Vader Noooooooo scream. Then there was some more changes on newer dvd releases that were made also.

Most people just say it was because he was drunk

Never jetpack under the influence :lol:
Mythos Fenn
Hahaha! Too much spiked Blue Milk!
1639759283655.png

Cheers,
-Iron

luffy12 ... There is two sides to the anser... The behind the scenes answer boba87fett already covered pretty well, but there is another side to it: Fett was introduced in the Holiday Spacial and there was a special Action Figure Campaign where you had to send in coupons you got on other Star Wars Action Figures to receive a Fett. That was even before the movie came out if I remember correctly. Now all of that anticipation and also Fetts debut it Episode V all lead to the charackter being way more popular with fans then anticipated. So they got rid of that distraction.

In universe now... thats a different Story.

Rook 3 ... also thats quite a single sided view on things. There is SOOO much weirdness going on in actual world history, thats even harder to believe.

I mean... Fett was supposed to be highly capable. That doesnt safeguard him from bad luck. Stuff like that happens. Famous and extremely capable individuals just going down due to bad luck.

Some examples from real world history:
  • The Mighty Hood, first of the fast battleships and one of the most powerful Royal Navy Battleships got hit by one lucky shell from Bismarck and that was it.
  • Bismarck itself... Struck in the rudder during the precisely wrong moment by an outdated fabric covered biplane's torpedo (the Fairy Swordfish)... and that lead to its demise.
  • General George Patton - killed in a car accident
  • Admiral Willis A. Lee - one of the, if not the best battleship admiral of WWII if not all time - died from a heartattack shortly after his greates battle
  • Chris Kyle... believed to be the most sucessful sniper in US History... killed by a lone gunman running amok in the US.
  • There are soo many more examples...
Also the opposite is true: People who survived what shouldnt be survivable. Unfortunately, the details, while published, seem to be less memorable then the ones who didnt make it, so Ill have to do with a vague description
  • There was a guy who survived the explosion of one of the battlecrusers at the battle of Jutland. From the entire ship, there werent more then a handful of survivors at most (single digits from a crew of about 1.200), but he was even in the very turret that received the fateful hit and whose magazine exploded under him.
  • There was a nurse who survived 3 high profile sinkings: Titanic, and two more, one possibly during the first world war.

Mythos Fenn ... thank you for that, I laughed haaaaard! :D

The Sarlacc sequence works great if Boba is simply a one-off henchman, but with all the mythology, attention, and backstory building him up as the galaxy's biggest badass, it doesn't make sense. It'd be as if Dooku perished as a result of tripping over his own lightsaber.

It's nice that Boba Fett has survived and has a chance to be a badass again, but I can't help but think of the Book of Boba Fett as the programme about the person who spent years healing after a blind idiot unintentionally knocked him into a hole.

How does the scene make sense if that's the same person that wrecked everything in Mandalorian?

This is largely due to the piss poor way in which ROTJ was filmed and edited tbh

Originally, early on in the script, Boba was going to lose a hand to Luke instead of just the blaster, and when he turns around to shield himself, Luke was then supposed to slash his jetpack and he go flying. Theres early storyboard art for ROTJ showing this.
Presumably this was eventually cut in preproduction for reasons, but they still had the damaged jetpack(s) and thus still needed to use it, so what they did instead was they have the guy up on Jabbas Sail Barge with that DOOM canon shoot Boba right in the freaking back right at the same exact moment Luke cuts himself free from the whip cord.
Why? Who knows loll.. Its all very poorly filmed, with bizarre closeups that make you feel like you’re watching Das Boot, but if you do slow the film down you can clearly see they essentially have the deck gun’s bolt cut straight through the jetpack tank and then hit the skiff, exposing the Jetpacks internals while Boba goes crashing to the floor from the explosion with smoke from the damaged pack coming up over his back on the ground
Boba then recovers, stands back up and starts popping off shots with the laser/rocket at Luke before Han blindky hits the exposed internals and Fett goes flying

So to be fair, ROTJ Boba was simply done dirty by Lucas, but the change also lead to our boy being able to survive the Sarlacc, so its a blessing (or curse?) in disguise I suppose.

Last edited:
I always thought Solo hit his pack with the force pike. Is Fett's Sarlac escape shown/described in the Mandolorian?

I no longer have any of the original Marvel Star Wars comics, but I recall one where Boba escaped from the pit...

I no longer have any of the original Marvel Star Wars comics, but I recall one where Boba escaped from the pit...
I had that comic as a kid! Boba rocketed out as I recall and crashed and got amnesia. He met up with Han Solo and the two worked together in the story for a bit, but due to plot, Boba ended up going back in the sarlacc. It was a "yay, he lives" combined with a "no! He's gone again!" moment. :D

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back