Hot Toys Boba Fett

I got mine on the payment plan so I have one last payment before it will ship.
Can't wait to get it! It's gonna look awesome alongside my Sideshow premium format Fett. :)

Should have it Tuesday if tracking info is correct, looking forward to getting it.

It was dark when I got home, so couldn't really appreciate it, I'll inspect it fully on Sat, but I can definitely say right now it's worth every penny. For me the shear size and detail of this figure make any inaccuracies disappear.

Here's what I put up on another message board I'm a member of. Read at your own risk.

Okay, let's get into this:
I received my figure Thursday. It's my first 1/4 figure, and although I have no interest in 1/4 scale, it's Boba Fett and he's my guy, so Hot Toys had my money from the word 'go.'
Like everyone else, the pictures that have popped up so far were a mixed bag. The Prototype pics were a mixed bag, as well. The main concern I had was the helmet. Boba Fett is such a complicated costume/uniform, but there's no doubt that the most integral part of the costume is....that helmet.
So, as a Boba Fett aficionado, and a (self-proclaimed) expert :lol:, here's my opinion. I'll try to keep casual fans in mind, as well as us 'experts.' I'll use a metric identical to Michael Crawford's (I always enjoy his reviews). But I'm also going to be short on a few of the sections.
Sidenote: I have no desire to bash this figure. I paid full price via Sideshow, and I will NOT be returning it. I'm happy with my purchase, no matter how hard on it I'm going to sound.

1.) Packaging ****
Huge and pretty. Secure. The picture of the helmet that they used is interesting. More on that later...

2.) Sculpting ***** and *
So much done right. And so much done HORRIBLY wrong. The biggest culprit...the helmet. But first, let's talk about some of the many things done right. The majority of the armor pieces are spectacular! The scale is great, the accuracy is solid.
The sidearm (though it isn't part of RotJ Boba Fett's costume) is a work of art, and has fooled more than one of my fellow Boba Fett costumers as being 1:1.
The boots are beautiful, by far the best of any figure, at any scale.
The gauntlets are amazing, with sharp edges and impressive attention to detail.
In general, excluding the helmet, solid all around. That's where the 5 *s come from.
But on the helmet...not so much. At all. No if, ands or buts, it's a travesty. I really hate to say that, but it's true. If we flash back to the Sideshow Premium Format RotJ helmet, the only thing that was truly off on that statue was the helmet. If we flash back to the Sideshow 1/6 Boba Fett, we find pretty much the same thing. Same with the upcoming Sideshow ESB Premium Format. Unfortunately, practically zero progress has been made. Especially compared to the rest of the armor, the helmet is off in so many ways that it's practically an insult. We're on the cusp of the release of Star Wars Battlefront, and the helmet that EA made (digitally) is almost perfect (sculpt and paint). I truly wonder what Hot Toys used as their reference, because they clearly didn't use any existing photos, scans, the Master Replicas helmet, nothing. As a result, their helmet is JUNK. There's just no way around it. The helmet looks to have been derived from the earlier Sideshow 1/6, in both sculpt and engineering (3-piece main design, rather than a simple 1-piece bucket). For the undiscerning collector, it works just fine, I suppose, but for those of us that are major Fett geeks, the most important part of this figure is the biggest eyesore.
However, from a frontal view, tilted downwards, the helmet works (that's why Hot Toys uses that exact view on the front of the box).
Beyond that, there are a few misses on the sculpt/accuracy. Without getting into too much detail, some of them are:
-Dental files on the back of the helmet
-Lens on the rangefinder topper (helmet)
-The side switch on the left gauntlet
-The shin 'security knife' (it should just be a stirrer)
This probably means nothing to the average collector. I fully understand that. If this were 1/6, I wouldn't be so hard on it. But this is 1/4 scale. The best available product in scaled replicas (not to mention a significantly higher price point). I just can't understand why an item as important as the helmet has never been done correctly.
Paint **
This section is hard to grade. On the one hand, the paint has been applied beautifully, multiple colors and layers, adding to the realism of the figure. On the other hand, the paint doesn't match any version of Boba Fett, though this is supposed to be the RotJ version. The decision to paint the gloves that dark shade is puzzling. Going back to the helmet, the colors are correct; the detailing is not even close. The same can be said for the armor. The color choice is great, but the application is woefully inaccurate. Going DEEP into Fett knowledge, the chest logo is a replica of a trademarked fanmade effort, and does not match any screen-used costume. The orange 'kill stripes' on the helmet? There should be 18, not 16. Such a shame.

Articulation **
As this is my first Hot Toys 1/4 (actually, my first 1/4 of any kind), I figured that the body would simply be a larger version of their world-famous True Type (specifically, the narrow-shoulder model). Unfortunately, I find this body to be excessively limited in articulation. Another poster mentioned that the helmet is difficult to get much articulation from, owing to the ball joint, and I find the same thing. The level of bow/tilt is quite limited, which is important, since that's really the only way Fett can show any emote. My right arm (that holds the rifle) is quite loose, and can't even support its own weight. The ratcheting joints are fairly obnoxious, as finer posing becomes virtually impossible. I've tried to remove the feet, and after pulling HARD, they still won't come off. I'd like to turn the swivel joint (obviously not a ball joint, like most of their 1/6 offerings), but I'll have to keep trying, apparently.
Fortunately, the hands swap easily.
However, and as most pics have shown, this figure would best be classified as a 'mildly poseable statue', rather than a 1/4 action figure. Because of the material of the armor, and the limitations of the underlying body, deep poses probably won't be possible. That's a big disappointment to a guy like me, since, as my previous pics have shown, deep poses are pretty important.

Accessories ***
The figure includes a small handful of accessories, and since Boba Fett didn't have much gear/weapons that weren't built into the suit, that makes sense. The Exclusive item is the sidearm and holster. Both of them are AMAZING, as the detail and accuracy are simply perfect. However, this item wasn't part of the RotJ costume, so it's inclusion is a bit of a reach. The decision to include a lightsaber-sliced blaster rifle is also curious, since there's no 1/4 Luke to accompany Fett, and I can't understand why any Fett fan would want to display a $500 figure in such a vulnerable and weak position. Needless to say, it will never be equipped on my figure.
Also puzzling is the inclusion of such a limited amount of swappable hands. Two fists, good. Two relaxed palms, great. Two somewhat 'clutching' hands, okay. One trigger hand? Bad. He should've had two, so that he could be equipped with the rifle and sidearm at the same time, at least.
As yet another sidenote, I still maintain that an AWESOME Exclusive item would have been a second helmet, painted in the ESB colors, meaning that the figure could embody either a truer RotJ look, or the much more popular Special Edition version.
To leave this section on a moderate high note, I was QUITE pleased that Hot Toys included the lower jetpack harness. They didn't need to do it, but they showed a great effort in going that extra mile.
The base is impressive. Huge, with two different display options via the swappable panels on the base 'floor.' But, like almost every area of this figure, there's a downside: the crotch support is too long, meaning it will only support him if he is standing straight up (no bent knees).

Outfit ****
Tailoring, fit, material, everything is AMAZING. No complaints here whatsoever. Other than the body underneath.

Fun Factor **
There's just not much to do with him. At some point, I'll disrobe the figure, to see what the underlying body looks like (and where I might be able to Dremel), but it doesn't seem to be as articulated as I would like. The vest (and body) is extremely restrictive, to the point that he can't really aim his rifle as if he's about to fire it, or any other real action poses.
For most owners, we'll have to be content with Boba Fett just standing there, looking mean. That's okay, but I was hopeful that there would be more movement possible at this scale.

Value **
If you're a huge fan of Boba Fett, or a dedicated collector of 1/4 figures, or just have money to burn, the value is high. If you're a casual fan of Boba Fett, or are mostly a collector of 1/6, or on a budget, the value is significantly lower. $470 (+tax +shipping) is no joke.
So there's my thoughts on the figure. Feel free to disagree and/or debate and/or tell me I'm crazy!
I haven't set up my photo gear. I just haven't been inspired to shoot this figure. So here's a handful of cell phone pics (every pose I've used has been shown many times in this thread).
F50E7EF2-F835-4605-A733-7F28AA6C19A6.jpg

ABEF3053-76E2-4B31-AD7F-E1913CCD426F.jpg

58C82041-AD78-4630-8B17-4CB06DF150B0.jpg

B36376F9-ABA0-4519-A257-1ED67C2EBDF6.jpg

CC643C22-2468-4C17-AC68-1CA0B90B1B75.jpg

McHaley's custom Sideshow RotJ Premium Format:
6ACC116F-C7CF-4D49-A19B-823D6F9843B6.jpg

Sideshow ESB Premium Format (prototype):
star-wars-bob-fett-premium-format-300152-07.jpg

Screen-used ESB Hero:
Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Hallway-05.png

Screen-used RotJ Hero:
Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-01.png

1/6 helmets (Sideshow, Medicom, Tomy):
5FA33755-073D-45A1-B7EB-87CD34BB4FFE.jpg

Very comprehensive review! Mine should ship (hopefully) this week and I'll be examining it closely.
I also own the PF Fett. I modded mine and it looks similar to that McHaley's pic you posted. I even replaced
the helmet entirely, subbing in a gorgeous 1/4 scale sculpt by Natty15.

I'm not above modding the Hot Toys if I think it needs it. ;)

Do WANT this....but without being able to do commissions its not in the budget sadly....I shall live vicariously through you guys....and the helmet isnt as bad as gentle giant stuff.

Sideshow ESB Premium Format (prototype):
star-wars-bob-fett-premium-format-300152-07.jpg

Pretty bummed they couldn't get the correct mythosaur skull on the ESB 1/4. Paid a lot of money to have to update the shoulder bell myself from ROTJ to ESB. Alex painted a perfect prototype which easily hooked my pre-order, SS/HT messed it up, changed all sorts of aspects that originally made it awesome and even threw in an ROTJ anti-security blade to ice the cake on what could have been the be-all-end-all for us ESB Boba Fett collectors. so sad.

Sent from my R2 unit

Last edited by a moderator:
New member posting some Fettography :p I received mine yesterday (non exclusive edition). Overall I am really excited about the figure! I have a few minor nitpicks in terms of the colors not matching the ROTJ outfit and the visor part being a slightly too wide... but these all pale in comparison to how awesome the figure looks and stands overall. I actually think he has decent posing abilities. Perhaps the coolest thing about the figure is that no matter how you pose him, he will always, somehow, retain the Boba-esque posture.

Unfortunately my figure also came with crooked chest armor. The left (anatomical) chest plate is coming off of the cloth and is not glued on straight. I reached out to SSC about this, hopefully I can get his body switched out. Does anyone else have issues with the base's larger plate not laying flat? It's an easy fix, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I was hesitant to get my first 1/4 scale, but with Boba here I am very happy (and I need to restrain myself from ordering other 1/4 figs). Boba is the first 1/4 scale I have seen in person and I am really impressed by the sheer size of the figure. I really am in awe looking at this piece. It's going to be hard for me to not make the shift from 1/6 to 1/4 after getting this guy.

Will take more decent pics tomorrow seeing as I had to use flash (rainy, dreary day) which tends to drown out a lot of the weathering on the figure. Really happy with him in my collection! :)

Boba_Pic%20copy_zpsu3r34ssr.jpg

IMG_1814_zpsxmv8nwcv.jpg

IMG_1820_zps2zmneoys.jpg

IMG_1827_zps5awihhcw.jpg

IMG_1829_zpsz1e7jrab.jpg

IMG_1830_zpsb5jh3gqm.jpg

IMG_1835_zps91vilrum.jpg

IMG_1836_zpsd7ypx4zd.jpg

IMG_1838_zpsjx1cxbru.jpg

IMG_1839_zpsxm40fd1z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics! I got mine yesterday and overall I'm really impressed. I also think that the figure is very posable. I mean, I'm not going
to be flying him around the room or anything, but there's enough movement in the joints to allow for some changes every so often.

That being said, the paint app is done very well. . . but it's not the ROTJ paint job. I'm considering a repaint at some point but right
now I'm just enjoying having this after waiting since last Christmas. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion. (y)

Nice review. (y) I have mine displayed the other way around right now, but I really
like the "one foot up" pose you have him in. I'll give that a whirl and see how it looks.

Nice review. (y) I have mine displayed the other way around right now, but I really
like the "one foot up" pose you have him in. I'll give that a whirl and see how it looks.
Thank you, sir! Looking forward to seeing your Fett in the pose :) I really like how it looks, had been playing around with several poses. Once we move to our new place, I may toy around with fishing/piano wire to actually have him hover over the plate to make it look as though he is either about to land on- or take off from- the barge.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back