High End Licensed SW Armor / Costumes Coming Soon

Art makes a good point, The MR Fett helmet whilst being easily the most accurate and true replica ever commercially produced still has an incorrect finish that some people would pick up on, from what I understand the helmet itself came from a cleaned up 3d scan of one of the Pre-Pro helmets, ok so its not a direct casting but I personally can live with that, its a very very nice helmet compared to whats gone before, Lee (Rogue Studios) painted 2(?) masters for MR which they were to then base their paintjob on, now somewhere along the line that got altered slightly and we ended up with an extra killstripe. Now to what I would say are the vast majority of collectors its not a problem, however to me it is. As Gino says if I am to pay top dollar for a helmet that I know has been scanned from an original PP helmet, has had one of the most knowledgeable people consult on the paintjob and has the accurate MQ-1 board provided by Art then I would be dissapointed with the end result, having got everything else so right they ended up getting something so wrong. I also have concerns that most of these products will be deamed 'good enough' for the market, but for my hard earned money that is just not 'good enough' for me (y)

I agree with this sentiment.

Having helped MR and E-FX on a number of their projects, I can confirm that the realities of mass-scale production are inherently different from the individual fan-made equivalents.

For example, I made a significant contribution to the MR Stormtrooper helmet and to a lesser extent, their Boba. But any contribution I did make was tempered against a number of constraints that the producer has to live with, i.e.

1) The commercial realities of large scale prop production and the market you sell to. I'd illustrate this as MR's decision to go Fiberglass and not ABS. IMO it was precisely the right decision and financially it worked to the extent e-fx was able to do a "pick up" run when MR ran out of license.

However, faced with the realities of fiberglass over ABS meant there were always going to be compromises which they worked on to minimise, but could never completely eliminate

2) Access to original props. Sure LFL will let you look and photograph stuff but casting them is unlikely. MR digitally scanned the Stormy Hero in the archives but the results weren’t good enough for production, so they went to JJoiner and recast his helmet (for a pretty price I'm sure). However, they then had the issue of retro'ing a HDPE Stunt casting into an ABS-style Hero. But in fiberglass.

3) The production environment. The brutal economic reality of modern mass-production is that you have to outsource to somewhere like China in order to protect your margins. And lets not forget that these guys have to make a profit or else their shareholders will pull the plug. China’s great with some genuinely leading edge manufacturers, but it’s clearly thousands of miles away. I don’t know what happened with the converging Boba mandibles, but I bet it wouldn’t have happened if manufacturing had been housed in their same head-office building. However if they’d been manufactured in the US would the business model have worked?

There are also several fingers in this pie; ignoring those within your own business like Finance, Legal, Production and Marketing there's also LFL who is very keen to ensure things meet their requirements.

Bottom line is I’m happy that at least some of the changes I requested on those helmets were successfully acted up, such as the TK frown and ears. I'd have preferred it if ALL my suggestions were carried through but I'm grown-up enough to know that sometimes you don’t win everything.

However I do think there some naivety in this subject, especially the mistaken belief that a skilled producer of short-run, fan-made replicas can teach the big manufacturers how to make a profitable business model from 100% accurate replicas. It doesn’t work. The costs, margins and market demands are totally different.

That doesn’t mean licensed companies should ignore the fans, and its pleasing to see that they don’t. However, I can only deduce that the high regard some people seem to hold themselves in isn’t shared by the licensed producers!

Cheers

Jez

However, I can only deduce that the high regard some people seem to hold themselves in isn’t shared by the licensed producers!

Cheers

Jez

Well it's clear that you are inferring that these 'license producers' don't hold me (specifically) in high regard.
That's unfortunate, as their product would greatly benefit from them feeling differently (if that is indeed the case).

Well it's clear that you are inferring that these 'license producers' don't hold me (specifically) in high regard.
That's unfortunate, as their product would greatly benefit from them feeling differently (if that is indeed the case).

I have no idea what they think. But they have to run their businesses the way they see fit. The best we can do is offer our assistance and leave it with them do decide who they want to work with.

MR contacted me as they appreciated my contribution to the hobby, but also noted that on-line my contributions to various threads were judicious and constructive. E-FX followed suit. ON the other hand Museum Replicas didn't need my help and believe they have the right team assembled. Thats absolutely cool - I just hope the replica Iron Man helmet isnt an indication of what we're going to expect.

However your last sentence indicates you haven't really read and understood my earlier post.

Cheers

Jez

It could be argued that in some instances, the poor outcome of certain products are partially a result of the people these companies choose to work with in the first place.

I dont disagree. Although the contrary argument is - imagine what they would have looked like if those people didnt help them :lol:lol::lol:

Large-scale production is extremely complex with numerious, often conflicting elements working within it. Like I tried to explain in my (long) post above, there's more to it than naively saying "x is wrong, change it to look like this" .

Gino, if you really want to work in that area I suggest you take positive action and put a resume together outlining your talents and send it to the relevant prop-making businesses. Rather than the more negative approach of just moaning "this is garbage, I could do better"

Cheers

Jez

I went to college for product design and my career for the last 11 years has been in marketing/advertising/branding. Experience in both of those worlds, combined with my specialized knowledge of SW props/costumes and their target audience is what I believe gives me a rather unique perspective on the topic.

I am fully aware of the prop replica marketing/production landscapes and also have strong opinions about how previous and current licensees have navigated them.

Forwarding them a resume of my professional credentials would be a pointless formality without there first being a meeting of the minds.

From everything I've seen from companies like MR/EFX and what I know about WS, there appears to be a huge disconnect between what I believe can be accomplished in regard to mass produced prop replicas and what they believe. Or want.

I think their marketing approach could be refined to support a better class of replica than we've seen (for similar costs).
I also have very different ideas about how production should be handled regarding different categories of props.
I also have very specific beliefs about what each person as a team member should be knowledgeable of and responsible for throughout the process.

My business plan, marketing strategy, and philosophy of production would eliminate most of if not all of the problems we see in products coming from licensees. No more, dropping the ball.

Problem is, no one is asking, and if they did, based on what I've seen, we would not agree.

My desire is to see the best, most accurate prop replicas possible made available to the fans at the most affordable prices possible. Something I cannot do without teaming up with a licensee.

I had hopes that maybe I could bring my ideas and expertise to one of the past or current companies, but it seems I'll be waiting indefinitely for a company to come along who shares my vision and philosophies.

PS
Here' a question to ponder.
Say you are among those who hold this 'dream job' so to speak. Would your ego allow you to have someone else come in and effectively replace you because you know in your heart of hearts that they could do a better job of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess at the end of the day, the cheaper/faster they can do something, ultimately that is how they will proceed, which is why we may sadly never see the day of a truly accurate, faithful, licensed prop

With the current mindset, I agree.

But with some adjustments, there is no reason why it couldn't be done now.
Never going to 100% but something like 90%-ish could be attained instead of where we are now at like 50%-70% depending on the piece. Some have been better than others.

I went to college for product design and my career for the last 11 years has been in marketing/advertising/branding. Experience in both of those worlds, combined with my specialized knowledge of SW props/costumes and their target audience is what I believe gives me a rather unique perspective on the topic.

I am fully aware of the prop replica marketing/production landscapes and also have strong opinions about how previous and current licensees have navigated them.

Forwarding them a resume of my professional credentials would be a pointless formality without there first being a meeting of the minds.

From everything I've seen from companies like MR/EFX and what I know about WS, there appears to be a huge disconnect between what I believe can be accomplished in regard to mass produced prop replicas and what they believe. Or want.

I think their marketing approach could be refined to support a better class of replica than we've seen (for similar costs).
I also have very different ideas about how production should be handled regarding different categories of props.
I also have very specific beliefs about what each person as a team member should be knowledgeable of and responsible for throughout the process.

My business plan, marketing strategy, and philosophy of production would eliminate most of if not all of the problems we see in products coming from licensees. No more, dropping the ball.

Problem is, no one is asking, and if they did, based on what I've seen, we would not agree.

My desire is to see the best, most accurate prop replicas possible made available to the fans at the most affordable prices possible. Something I cannot do without teaming up with a licensee.

I had hopes that maybe I could bring my ideas and expertise to one of the past or current companies, but it seems I'll be waiting indefinitely for a company to come along who shares my vision and philosophies.

PS
Here' a question to ponder.
Say you are among those who hold this 'dream job' so to speak. Would your ego allow you to have someone else come in and effectively replace you because you know in your heart of hearts that they could do a better job of it?

Gino, I'll answer your PS first. All companies want to have the best employees they can, especially given the troubled economy we are currently in. It is frankly ridiculous to say that a candidate wouldn't be employed as he would make others within the company look bad. Ridiculous!

Suggesting that sending them your resume is "pointless" is a cop-out. Sorry but if you want to work in that business you've got to do better than that.

My advice (and its given genuinely and honestly), is for you to pull a business case together outlining the problem as you see it, and your solution - which presumably includes your services.

Like I said, businesses are not in the habit of ignoring good ideas, or good people. So if you believe you have a strategy for success then simply document it. If its as good as you think it is then I'm sure it'll generate interest. If it doesnt then perhaps it wasn't as strong as you thought.

Cheers

Jez

It is frankly ridiculous to say that a candidate wouldn't be employed as he would make others within the company look bad. Ridiculous!

That's not what I said. For example, if there is only one spot in a company for say the product development position, would a current person be willing to share their role or step down from it in lieu of someone they knew was better qualified? I'd say probably not, even if they knew it would benefit the company and it's target demo.

Suggesting that sending them your resume is "pointless" is a cop-out. Sorry but if you want to work in that business you've got to do better than that.

I'm not opposed to doing as such, but not sending it in cold (ie without being invited) it's not like they don't know who I am.

My advice (and its given genuinely and honestly), is for you to pull a business case together outlining the problem as you see it, and your solution - which presumably includes your services.

Like I said, businesses are not in the habit of ignoring good ideas, or good people. So if you believe you have a strategy for success then simply document it. If its as good as you think it is then I'm sure it'll generate interest. If it doesnt then perhaps it wasn't as strong as you thought.

No, but a lot of businesses have history of extracting ideas and then discarding the unprotected individual like a soda can.

I realize doing so is a 'risk', but the climate and past history is not one that makes me feel like those ideas would be embraced.

Hopefully we'll see something at Comic Con San Diego. It's been a year since the announcement.

Once we see what they could offer, we'll know that there will never be, a company that's going to make us anal boys and girls happy.

And it's gonna be back to us on making high quality props.

That's not what I said. For example, if there is only one spot in a company for say the product development position, would a current person be willing to share their role or step down from it in lieu of someone they knew was better qualified? I'd say probably not, even if they knew it would benefit the company and it's target demo.

I'm not opposed to doing as such, but not sending it in cold (ie without being invited) it's not like they don't know who I am.

No, but a lot of businesses have history of extracting ideas and then discarding the unprotected individual like a soda can.

I realize doing so is a 'risk', but the climate and past history is not one that makes me feel like those ideas would be embraced.

Gino, you're talking yourself out of doing this. Finding any excuse you can to give up without even trying!

And your first point illustrates to me the root of the issue. You seem to be suggesting that you're looking to walk into a senior Product Development position. In order to do that your resume would have to detail a hell of a lot of experience doing something very similar for a recognised company in a similar market.

Unless you've got that then like anyone else you need to start lower down and work your way up by proving your abilities in a real production environment.

Knowledge of the original props is one thing. Being able to demonstrate your abilities in bringing a concept to market is completely different.

Cheers

Jez

You seem to be suggesting that you're looking to walk into a senior Product Development position.

Absolutely.
And I'm more than qualified to do so.

In order to do that your resume would have to detail a hell of a lot of experience doing something very similar for a recognised company in a similar market.

Like SD did with MR? I think he did just fine with his bootleg experience.

Knowledge of the original props is one thing. Being able to demonstrate your abilities in bringing a concept to market is completely different.

I could do that.
Also, I realize that knowledge of the original props is only one factor (and important one) but not the only one. That is just one aspect of my skill set.

Gino,why dont you just send in your resume to them,i dont personally care bout it being cold bc there wasnt an invite but ive been reading this thread all day and it seems to me that your waisting time argueing bout whos more qualified when the people who have already been hired to the job are doing it. im not meaning to step on any toes here but complaining bout the outcome of an event wont change it, but sending in your resume has a betterchance than none. just my 2 cents and MHO

This is pointless and smacks of the kind of thing one would find at the RPF. If you would like to continue the argument there, by all means, please do so, but any continuation of who is worthy and who is not is a discussion TDH does not wish to host.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back